2017-07-31 14:57:50

Hey everyone,

In the past, I tried picking up BGT, but I've since dropped it for multiple reasons. I was wondering if you guys could suggest a decent language to learn? I'm wanting a language that's able to make audio games, but also would allow me to branch out and make other programs besides audio games. I just want to find a solid language and stick with it from there and learn everything I can about it. Thanks for the help and I look for to your answers.

2017-07-31 17:46:28

I would recommend VB6, but its age might be a bit of a drawback.
Other than VB, I'd recommend learning Python or PureBasic.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-07-31 19:09:45

@post 3

Could you possibly elaborate more on why you suggested those three? Thanks.

2017-08-03 08:09:06

Python is a good general purpose language, and can also be used to make games.
With libraries like libaudioverse for audio and 3d environments, pyglet or pygame for things like window management, events (for calling code when something happens), keyboard, mouse and joystick support, you have a lot of the basic tools you'll need for games.
There are also a few libraries created specifically for making audiogames, but in my opinion you would learn more by not using them. While it's nice to be able to write a line like:
main_menu = game_kit.Menu("main menu", [("start game", start_game), ("exit", exit)])
You'll learn a lot more if you have to implement screens, menus, screen stacks, items, weapons, a player's inventory, maps and how they're loaded, saved and edited, loot drop system, etc yourself. It will also be a lot easier if you ever want to make a game that does something "nonstandard", meaning something the audio game library doesn't support out of the box.
As far as "branching out", python has a lot of libraries you can use in your code, as well as full packages that are actual applications. As an example, the home automation system I'm using is coded in python, so if I ever need to add support for something, it's pretty easy to.
You can also compile your programs into executables that run on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. There's even a way to make apps that run on iOS and android (though you need a mac).
If you have questions feel free to ask, though you probably already knew that lol.

Regards,
Blademan
Twitter: @bladehunter2213

2017-08-08 06:54:46

Why in the name of all that is holy do people still suggest vb6. If there's any option worse than BGT, vb6 takes the cake, so congradulations you get the award for the day for the most absurd suggestion.

VB6 is outdated, no longer supported and there's literally no point in learning it. You'll have a hard time getting it to run on windows later than xp (just look at the issues people had getting Aprone games to run), Microsoft doesn't support it and you'll not find any updated useful libraries. That's like deciding to invest in a bicycle but getting the one with square wheels despite the motorcycle sitting right next to it.

As someone already said, I strongly recommend Python. It's developing, you can write games in it (very easily), you can use PyPy if you need for JIT and you'll literally find libraries for all kinds of things that you can pull in and use. Choose a language that makes your life easier, not harder.

2017-08-13 10:00:02

I think that Java could be a good option for developing cross-platform games. First of all, if you know BGT, switching to Java will be much easier because of similar syntax. Second, your game will run on any PC platform with no need to first implement support for that platform. Third, Java is very popular, especially in business world, so finding an answer for a certain problem is not that hard. Fourth, Java is easier than C++, since it makes many things for you (garbage collection is one of them so you don't need to allocate and deallocate memory yourself). The only thing required at least on Windows is installing Java Runtime, but this is what sighted people need to do as well, so I don't see the reason why we should be different, because installing JRE doesn't require sighted assistance. If you make a self-voicing game, you even don't need to enable access bridge. Eclipse IDE is accessible and makes development process faster. Also, if you're planning to start making Android games, Java and recently Kotlin are your best options, since they are officialy supported for Android development.