2017-07-24 14:59:20

Hi guys and girls, so this has been asked a lot before I guess, but I just thought I would post here and maybe get the help that I need.
So I've been playing around in BGT trying to make very simple games like a dice game or what ever and also trying to modify some example games. I have a question though, is there any programming language with a better tutorial or just an easier syntax witch I can use, rather than BGT?
Or is BGT actually an easy option, am I just too impatient or something?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2017-07-24 17:29:43

Hi my friend, i think that you are  a little impatient,
I my self, am stil strugling with bgt and python, but it is for sure the best language
Well, for me. it might differ from people to people

just give it a few more trys, and i am sure that you will lbe able to make it work for you

good luck!

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-07-24 18:09:43

For me it's Pure Basic. Not only is its syntax easy to read as you would expect with the Basic language. The compiled programs compare very favorably against the best C/C++ compilers for size and speed. It has a rather extensive library of functions ranging from low level stuff like memory management to higher level stuff like 2D and 3D graphics and email and internet handling functions. It's only 79 Euros for a single user license, and there are no upgrade fees to pay when major new versions are released.

2017-07-25 15:51:59

thanks for the responses, I greatly appreciate it, I guess I'll stick with BGT for now though.

2017-07-25 18:15:28

I'd just like to say, once again, that BGT is *** not *** a 'programming language'. You asked for a programming language that was easy. If you want to use a programming language that is fun to use, and, of course, that is easy, then use PureBASIC. Hell, even go learn VB.NET if you like.
As for your other question, BGT is an easy option if you can be patient. The only problem is the fact that it's documentation is seriously out of date, and the tutorial hasn't been updated since... well, I think since version 1.0 was released.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-07-25 18:20:31

I like python.
It isn't complicated to start I just wish it had types.
I find also java is not too bad and it has types.

2017-07-25 20:09:03

That was one of the things I hated about Visual Basic and PHP, no types.

Sure, Visual Basic had types, but all it did with them was determine how to store the variable in memory. If a function called for a parameter of type A, but you provided a parameter of type B, Visual Basic would automatically change the parameter to the correct type.

I learned programming using UCSD Pascal on an Apple II which had very strong typing as well as other rules like define it before you use it, and I still use all those rules when programming.

To me those rules that Pascal forced on you made sense as the proper way to do programming, so I treat what ever language I happen to be using as if it was Pascal.

In fact Pure Basic has a switch you can turn on that requires that variables and functions be defined before you use them and I always have it turned on.

2017-07-25 20:22:50

VB6 has a similar switch.  Actually that switch is enabled by default, and you have to specifically turn it off if you no longer want to define everything in advance.

The functions automatically changing to the correct type is part of that "advanced" setting as well.  Without that setting specifically enabled, you'd get the same sort of wrong-type error as in other languages.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-07-25 21:37:14

God it's been so long, but I do remember that now, and that I was always annoying people by leaving it turned on when most people turned it off.

Wasn't it not only a compile time switch that you could put in your code, but also an option you could set in the setting too?

People thought I was crazy for leaving that turned on, but I can recall just how difficult a bug caused by loose typing can be to find. I've had to squash a few of those in my time. (Shudders)

2017-07-27 02:58:03

Php is especially annoying in my recent experience since it treats empty strings, 0, and false as the same thing.
If you don't take some care, you could have seriously messed up code. Luckily in php7 they added types (which you can optionally use and be strict about it).

2017-07-27 04:31:18

That's one programming language I won't use if I don't have to. I'll stick to JavaScript (or even better, CoffeeScript) for my web development needs. As for windows development, I'll stick to VB6.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-07-29 03:02:07

If you are learning to program in your first computer language, even writing easy programs will be difficult. A good tutorial should familiarize you with the language and teach you some things about programming--but the only way to become good at programming is to write and debug lots of code. This is something even experienced programmers have to deal with if they learn a new language--they need to build up experience with that specific computer language to become proficient with it.

Another piece of advice is that when you ask people which language is easiest, what you really find out is that the easiest language to program in is whatever language you have the most experience using. Every language has its positives and negatives. Personally, I suggest picking whatever language interests you and just pursue that. You will want to pick something that interests you because you are going to need to spend a lot of time with it to become proficient.

Learning to code is just like learning many other things like playing an instrument or learning a foreign language. It takes time and practice to reach a point where it becomes easier to use. Personally, I think it is well worth the effort--and over time you will find it is easier to code larger and more complex programs. I wish you luck in your learning!

2017-07-29 15:22:23

Very true, programming is something you pretty much have to learn by doing. A book may tell you everything you might want to know about a language and the theory or programming, but when you are done reading you'll find you still just as clueless as the person next to you that hasn't read a word.