2017-07-22 23:09:34

Hi everyone,

There's a few blind people on here who are pretty successful SLers and I know one who's been since around 2014, so...

What are some accessible locations, especially entertainment ones, on SL? I've tried to explore several amusement parks, games and such, and I can't interact with objects I'd expect to be able to interact with, E.G. rides.
Then, I can't figure out how to look at embedded info for events in the days events notecard for the VAI group.

I can normally learn things myself, but I find the objects window of Radegast confusing, considering that every object shows up, even the ones of no importance such as scenery objects, paths, etc. You could walk to a path but have no idea how to follow it.
I shouldn't need a VAI mentor for a lot of this... I figured out how to search for things, places/people/groups/events, teleport to them, or search for clubs and the like, but actually navigating my way around there with the use of the objects window is proving to be a pain in the ass.

For those of you who are have and/or getting a life in SL, what's the best way around these problems? The way I see it right now, we aut to make our own audio 3D viewer where we could walk and navigate like everyone else.
Of course, we can use the commands to move, but that's not much help if I don't know what I'm looking for in the place.
I guess we can make this the official SL discussion topic of things to do, etc, and people who already have Radegast up and running and talk experiences in here. These problems are also blindness specific to Radegast users, so that's why I think we should discuss it here. I know for a fact that some activities are limiting with a text viewer, what are they? VAI wants to be 100 percent optimistic about this, but there's gotta be some.
What are your daily activities in SL? Am I doing it wrong, using the objects window to find my bearings in a location?

2017-07-22 23:20:59

well I actually tried sl with the radigast client today, and to be honest I'm not at all sure what exactly to do. I mean, is all you do on sl wandering around the locations that were created, maybe attending the occasional event?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-07-23 00:18:10

There's a ton of events where you can do stuff all day. It's just how to go about doing it. Nobody seems to have an answer on that.

2017-07-23 00:43:59

Well, I tried it long time ago and I was stuck too so I can see nothing is changed. I know some users who are playing using other (probably official client) with objects like a cane etc cause SL originally contain sounds, ambiences etc so with this client you are missing so many features.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-07-23 00:57:01

With Radegast, you still get the inworld sounds. I'm talking to a blindman75 who has a pretty good life in SL, club DJs and everything, using Radegast.
So it's possible, just have to learn how.

2017-07-23 01:08:32

I find it so far quite not very efficient. Basicly to use something as far as I know, you got to use the object menue, and then press application key, pick an action, go to chat menue and see if it worked.

2017-07-23 01:22:20

I quit because I hate that I had to get help to do stuff in there, I don't for instance, need help getting dressed IRL, so why would I interact in a world where I do, also, everything has HUDs now which radegast can't interact with, so you have to try to find clothing without HUDs and its just so meh. It's not a blind friendly place at all, even in the accessible locations. I also attended formal events and sat on someone because I just happened to find a seat in the object viewer that I tried to sit in, do you know how embarrassing that would be IRl? I refuse to do things that require me to have help doing them, for instance blindness sports, if I can do it, I'll do it, if not, I don't, there's no freaking dignity in sitting on someone, it just makes you look stupid to everyone else, and I refuse to use blindness as an excuse either, which is why I moved away from SL, its not viable for us.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-07-23 03:49:10

Apparently Radegast can interact with HUDs now. But I mostly agree.

2017-07-23 04:05:12

yeah, kinda sucks, because cool shit does happen there

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-07-23 06:50:21

Hi.
I was on SL for some time and learned a bit about the, well, should we call it a game or a simulator?
Because for the disabled comunity on there it's not like a game, it's their second life. You create an avatar and have to create clothing and styles for every ocasion. For example if you go out, sit at a camp fire and chat with others, or do what ever you want.
Good, I tackled the problem by one of the VI officials giving me a lion as an avatar, yeah, this is a thing. But you need sighted help from some of the members for example when you want to look at the textures of a room or location, if you want to move somewhere you have to follow someone, you can pritty much say that this is a game where you depend on the sighted folk dedicated to the VI Group.
Greetings Moritz

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-07-23 07:19:45

if you have at least some sight, you can use the 3d scene to drive a car. some cars can just be controlled with the arrows and don't need any huds or anything like that.

2017-07-23 13:50:21

Hi.
I also tried SL long time ago, and got quite far. I don't remember much on how to do the various things in the simulator. Yes, you can travel around, talk to people, explore the huge world etc. But it have a very huge learning curve. You need sighted help to do some of the activities, but I never came that far. I only needed sighted help to get dressed.
SL is quite cool indeed, accept for people never talk about it anymore. smile But, I think, if we ever have to get any success in this simulator, the blind people in there who know how to do the various things needs to get on this forum, and tell us about their experiences. Then, we really need a guide on how to get started, what we can do on our own and what we need some help with. Then, it's up to people to decide if it's worth it or not, and if we think we can do enough on our own, or if we need too much help from others.
I agree that if we can't at leased do the basics on our own, then it's not worth it. Then, we can just go out in the real life, take the train to an unknown area and ask for help. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-07-23 15:28:56

actually I think the best thing that could happen would be if someone learned to code using sl's API, and coded a 3d viewer like the sighted have in audio where you could also do activities and things, and not have to deal with having five tabs open in radigast trying to teleport to x location or inteeract with x object.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-07-23 18:29:53

Radegast does have a graphical viewer in it, but its slow and not good. Also, when you move to a place, you end up teleporting, not walking. You can enter commandd into radegast to walk a few steps, but yeah.

It's just too visual for us to really work well in that environment without getting lots of help, which I'm not into. It is cool though, no question, I just don't see how we can really be successful in that environment.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-07-24 17:29:22

I think people teleport using the official viewer as well when they have somewhere far to go. Once they teleport to the entrance, they walk from there.
I'll have to get some of the blind SLers on board with this topic, I know some are on this forum.

2017-07-26 15:26:35

I tried it, but I wasn't able to figure out how it worked. Sad, because I wanted to live a second life

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2018-01-18 18:22:57

Hi all,

I've been playing second life for a while now. It works well, once you get the hang of some of the shortcuts. Some things it used to take me five minutes to do. people would think my internet was lagging. lol. But now I've become more sufficient. My issue now is that I can't find or filter places I might like to go. I can't see the map or anything, so there's no telling what's out there.
I have been trying to learn the sl code. I don't know if one can use that code to make a viewer, or build on a viewer, because I think they take their own programming language. I think one can only use it to script things inside sl itself. I love messing with different avatars and I can change avatars myself, but I have to get sighted confirmation, for instance, to make sure I'm not wearing a box on my head. All in all, it works for me. there's a few frustrations, but it's coming along. I like it, even though my participation has admittedly been sporadic.

2018-01-19 04:16:53

I do love SL for all the stuff it offers, but I go in there, and I feel disabled, where in the real world, I don't.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-20 04:47:15

I still say that someone out there who is considerably smarter than I am (big smile) should build us a virtual world like second life where you can have events, talk to people, make things, Etc, but it all be in audio. And I don't mean survive the friggin wild either. I mean a virtual world that is euniquely ours, and we could ad land masses, have apartments near the water, actually build our own virtual businesses and sell our virtual goods and make virtual currency Etc. I don't mean that like second life that the currency could be converted into real money, we just don't have the means to build something like that, but I still think that we should have our own type of persistent virtual world that runs in real time.

2018-01-20 04:59:06

Seconded, no pun intended.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-01-20 06:03:21

that would be cool

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-20 22:31:17

my thought here is that, from what I remember from an introductory video about second life, the creators simply made an island with some trees and water on it, and the residents, that is, the players did the rest. They built out the world on their own, cutting down the trees and building with them. I'd like to see something very similar done here. In fact, I think we all ought to bounce this idea off of Joseph and see how he responds. I think if anyone out here currently could even remotely pull something like this off, he'd be our man. He's given us a hero's call, what would it hurt to at least ask him? the wurst thing that could happen is he says no. You know if I had the knowledge, I'd do this myself but we all know that I couldn't code my way out of a home security system. What are your thoughts on this? am I just dreaming out loud? or does this seem like something we could achieve with enough hard work and asking around.

2018-01-20 22:44:56

Ya know, I truly like that idea.

Second life is a great place, though it ain't for everyone.

The only atempt for something similar like this, was "Eamon" from "Adora Entertainment," where they were gonna try and make the world in audio form. Sadly, it never made it past alpha.

As I'll be getting a Windows 10 machine in a few months, this is something I'd be willing to back on kickstarter.
In addition, I hope this world could be playable on mac and/or linux via wine as well, since it'd be self-voicing.

Now my last bit, as a question. Should a separate thread be made for this audio style second life? Of course it can't be called Second Life, as SL is trade-marked.

2018-01-20 23:33:13

we could actually create our own thread for this topic, yes. We could call it something like a virtual world for the blind or something along those lines and discuss our thoughts and opinions along with ways to very hopefully pull this off as well as things that we could include in our virtual world. Running in real time definitely should be a must. In other one day in real time is one day in the world. Seasons, Etc, you know the drill. Or should we even have seasons. I don't think second life does, we all know how survive the wild does with temperature changes and things, I don't think we'd have to go quite that far actually because you're not really surviving in our world, you're quite literally living another life. So it's not so drastic as being a matter of life and death so much.

2018-01-20 23:46:01

Trenton Goldshark wrote:

Of course it can't be called Second Life, as SL is trade-marked.

"Audio Life"? hmm

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.