2017-07-24 01:10:06

Hello

I want to show you a game calling Ping Pong 5D. Many people find this a good idea. A game is writen for Android, iOS, Windows Phone and supports multiplayer.

There is feedback that Ping Pong 5D would be blind-accessible game. Can you test this and tell your opinion? It can help for further development.

Link to game: http://pp5d.com

2017-07-24 09:15:01 (edited by nyanchan 2017-07-24 09:19:02)

I quickly tested the game, but I had to say that the game was completely inaccessible. First, please add screen-reader support or self-voicing. We cannot even start the game without such kind of accessibility support.
After running the app, I was placed on a game or menu screen where nothing could be recognized by voiceover. I turned off VO and randomly tapped around the screen and succeeded in making a text field appear, but I didn't know what it was for and how I could procede further.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2017-07-24 10:09:09

Thank you for feedback. Unfortunately there is no accesibility in menu. The SDK of game doesn't suports this, therefore I have to create voices and gestures myself.

But after you start the game, you should move your phone like a ping pong paddle at right time to hit the ball and you will hear when you serve, lose, win and scores.

There is 3 modes: Single game, Championship and Local multiplayer.

Maybe can somebody start with you the Local multiplayer over WiFi. Then you can play it together.

If some people in the forum find it interesting I will decide to create accesibility for this.

2017-07-24 10:52:47

A lot of us here are totally blind, so the menus and things will have to be accessible because some of us don't have anyone who can help us.

2017-07-24 11:19:23

Yes, but I am interested in this tipe of game for android.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-07-24 11:58:46

@sasharp welcome to the forum.

Certainly we're always interested in having more accessible games available, and the haptic ability of devices like the IPhone make them perfect for pinpong like games, which can be a lot of fun if the sounds work.

As Aaron said, unfortunately most people will not be able to even start the game without screen reader support in the menu since people will have no idea where the "start game" button is on the screen or a way of tapping it.

I would suggest perhaps you turn off your phone screen and  see if it is possible first to navigate the game menu, then to play the game without seeing the screen, that will give you an idea of the experience people are getting with the game and what accessibility features might need adding.
If testing on Ios I would recommend you hit the home button three times to activate voiceover and then triple tap the screen with three fingers to turn the screen display off.
You will then be able to have an idea of the experience blind people will get playing your game and what might need to be added, indeed for Ios development since Voiceover is built into the os Apple actually have fields when creating ap controls for text for voiceover, though any standard text labels could work.

Also having the screen off will then let you investigate the game itself and see if it can be played just using the sounds and not the graphics.

Good luck, and I definitely hope to play this one myself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-24 15:46:34

Hi Sasharp and welcome to the forum.
Before you turn on Voiceover to check out how it works, you need to go into the settings, generel, accessibility, scroll down to the very last item which is accessibility shortcut, and set that to VOiceover. Then you can press the home button three times as Dark mentioned. If you turn on Voiceover without doing that, you can't turn it off again, unless you know how the screenreader works.
You mention that the SDK is not accessible, like you can't make it to work with Voiceover. For this reason, you might need to add your own gestures as you say. If that's the case, then I'll highly recommend you to contact some of the other developers who have made their games accessible to blind people. One of the developers have made the game called Crafting Kingdom, which you'll find a huge topic about in the new releases room here on the forum.
There are many iPhone users on the website called: www.applevis.com which also have a huge forum. There are a lot of active developers there as well.
Maybe you already have read this page when you're developing for IOS, but Apple have made a huge page about making apps accessible for everyone:
https://developer.apple.com/accessibility/ios/
I hope you'll be able to make your game accessible. Then I would love to give it a try.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-07-24 16:13:58

I don't think the language used for the game works well with voiceover was his point. Yeah my advice if VO isn't possible would be self-voicing menus.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2017-07-24 16:32:22

If the game is working on Unity engine, it may be a little more difficult to add native API support of iOS or Android SDK.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2017-07-24 16:44:45 (edited by Lirin 2017-07-24 16:45:14)

Hi and welcome on the forums!

If you are coding using unity you could be interested in the Unity accessibility plugin, you can find more here:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/87935

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-07-24 21:57:00

Thank your all for support. Yes, the problem is, that Corona SDK draws buttons with OpenGL and the phone can't detect they. The best solution for this is self-voicing menus. But there is few possibilities to navigate menus. Can you give me varios examples for this?

2017-07-24 22:10:33

You may use the builtin libraries for accessing the device's tts engine, so you won't need to record the voice for every menu items yourself.

2017-07-24 22:50:43

Hi.

There are actually several ways you can create self voicing menus, depending upon your preference.
The most common way is to mimic the gesture based system voiceover uses (this is another reason why you might want to experiment with Voiceover yourself even if you cannot  integrate it specifically).

If you used this  a player would swipe left and right on the screen to move through the menu items successively, with each item being spoken.
So the ap would start and the player could swipe right to get to "single player" right again to "multiplayer" and right again to "options"
Double tapping on the screen with one finger would activate each menu item.

Another way is to use the corners of the screen. So when the ap starts the player would be told "hit the top right corner to start single player game, bottom left for multiplayer, bottom right for options" and would be able to do so.
This has the advantage of being a bit quicker than the swipe method, but the disadvantage of the player having to sit through and be told what each corner of the screen does, plus obviously you can only  have a maximum of four menu choices if your using screen corners.

The third method I've seen is to use tapping with various fingers to activate items, eeg "touch the screen with one finger to scroll the menu, with three fingers to activate"

This is similar to the swipe method, but a little more clunky, especially in terms of activating items.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-25 09:12:25

Hi.
You can download the Audio game hub to see how those self voiced menus works. They works very well.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-07-25 12:29:59

audiogame hub is a android game?

2017-07-25 13:22:11

I like how everyone is trying to help the dev make this accessible, keep up the team work guys

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2017-08-07 22:45:27

Hello. A new version of the game is accessible. Please note, that it uses input fields insteat of buttons. You should double click on input fields, because the SDK do not suppots buttons. Try it out: http://pp5d.com

2017-08-07 23:30:18

Hi. It seems that is not accessible with voice over. To be honest, I don't know how to navigate here.

2017-08-07 23:35:15

Hello Bogdan. What do you hear with voice over?

2017-08-08 00:58:29

It works fine with TalkBack on android . But I don't  know how to play it .

2017-08-08 01:01:51

As described. Move your Phone like a Racket at right time.

2017-08-08 06:04:10

Hi the game works fine on IOS, but voice over only picks up the single game option at the moment and shews you the difficulty levels once you selected it and typed in your name, i just thought i should let you know.
Keep up the good work.

regards
Hannes Fouche
Access gaming my YouTube channel https://youtube.com/channel/UC8CshzvGHEy2eR5L86nMM5A

2017-08-08 10:18:13

Hello hannes. Could you start and play the game?

2017-08-08 11:36:19

Hello. I also was able to start the game after some playing with the interface and it is kool. I like the sound effects and as the  other poster says, we can access only the single game.

2017-08-08 15:28:44

Hello all, does  any play this game on android devices? and is it accessible?