2017-07-12 14:36:23

Hi,

Does someone know a midi converter, there can convert midi to wav with boath Microsoft gs synth, imported soundfonts, and a usb digital keyboard.
I use CoolSoft Virtual Midi to play midi with various soundfonts, but the converter in Virtual Midi can only convert midi-files with imported soundfonts, not with Microsoft gs or an usb-keyboard.

Regards

2017-07-12 21:17:27

Have you tryed QWS? That's honestly all I can suggest.

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2017-07-12 21:34:19

QWS is a midi player/sequencer, it cannot create sound on its own.
I don't think there is such a thing as a midi converter you are asking about, but I could be wrong. All the ones I've tried only allow you to use Microsoft Wavetable or sound fonts. If you want to use a hardware synth, you'll probably have to play the midi with the synth, either through QWS or some other program, and record the output with a patch chord or similar.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-07-12 22:01:05

Thanks, but i also want a converter, there can convert with Microsoft wavetable.
Can you recoment one?

2017-07-12 22:54:40

I would use something like GoldWave or Audacity to record the MIDI sound coming through your sound card if you want to record Microsoft's GM. You would have to make sure anything else that might send sounds (skype, etc) was turned off while you record though. Not sure about using a MIDI keyboard.

2017-07-12 23:07:43

There is not a program to convert it with ms wavetable without recording, or what?

2017-07-13 00:07:09

@raygrote: I am fully aware of what qws is and use it on a daily basis. I did, however, miss read the question.
Back to the topic, you might try synthfont, though I'm not overly sure you can use gs wavetable with it. It does output midi files to wav though, I think.

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2017-07-13 00:08:48

I found a midi to mp3 program a long time ago. I think I found it just by googling midi to MP3 or some such. It used the ms wavetable, but I wasn't using other soundfonts at the time, so I don't know if that's because it only uses the default device or what.
I keep getting this weird feeling that Audacity can import midis, but perhaps I'm slightly mad.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-13 01:08:13

Audacity can import midi, but it can't play it.
There is a soundfont called scc1t2.sf2 that uses a higher quality version of the sample data that the Microsoft GS Wavetable uses.

2017-07-14 15:51:35

Another midi-question
Is it posible to extract the wave-files from a dls or sf2-file, or to create a soundfont with an accessible program?

2017-07-15 01:16:03 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-11-24 05:32:50)

To create SoundFonts, I use Polyphone. Without any tutorial I have learned to manage the parameters, thanks to my curiosity.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2017-07-15 19:00:22

Datajake: I've downloaded the soundfonts, and the midi archive from your site. Is there also a soundfont with exact the same sounds as microsoft wavetable synth, or can i convert the dls to sf2?

2017-07-16 01:53:58

Format factory can convert midi to wav.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2017-07-16 09:51:31

Hmm. I wonder if anyones' ever been abel to make an SF2 out of any of the Ensoniq / Creative AudioPCI card sound fonts. I think that's what I had in an old Gateway desktop but I'm not sure. It was from 1998 or 1999.

2017-07-16 16:53:28 (edited by musicalman 2017-07-16 16:56:01)

That's been something I've been thinking about doing for a while. I encountered this on a virtual Soundblaster in a Win98 VM. It had different wavesets, I think the wavesets were ecw files. There was a 2 mb, 4 mb and 8 mb set, and they were all pretty interesting. There's an experimental ecw2sf2 converter but it's not fully complete according to the author. However you can get most samples by opening the ecw as raw pcm data, so theoretically it would be possible for me to create a soundfont. By the looks of it, the ecw format doesn't allow a whole lot of bells and whistles apart from a few interesting ones here and there, so making a soundfont of the stuff could be done if I had enough patience. Lol

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-07-16 18:26:00

Now, i've tried the converted gm-soundfont, and now i know what's wrong.

The reason for i thinking, that it, and Scc1t2, don't sound like Microsoft wavetable, is, that there are some reverb effect enabled in the CoolSoft Virtual Midi synth.
Does someone knows how to turn it off?

2017-07-16 23:35:56

@raygrote
Yeah. I did find that tool and incomplete version of an SF2 as well. I don't have access to that old machine anymore so I can't even look at the hardware to see what card it was. All I know is that it was a Gateway desktop and it was made sometime in either 1998 or 1999. From what I've been able to find, Gateway did use that card in its machines around that time, so it's entirely possible that's the card I had back then. It was a single channel card, but the MIDI support was awesome.

@akse0435
You'll want to go into configuration. CTRL-tab a few times until you find the device settings. There should be a checkbox there that says disable reverb, sustain, etc. There are other settings on that tab that you can play around with too. Don't worry about screwing something up because there's a button to reset to defaults.