2017-07-14 21:16:23

I'm not sure if you'd call this a very short rpg, a tool or a gamebook, but it's a neat idea so I thought I'd mention it.

The game is called Seedship and the start page is here.

The basic idea is that you have a colonization seed ship and have to found a colony of people escaping from the  earth.
The game ends when you found your colony, however since the planets are randomly generated and you  never know what you'll find, whether your colony is successful can be interesting, especially since you don't always know how good your ship's systems will be through the  ware and  tare of space travel.

The game  is entirely text based with no sound, but entirely accessible since it just has links.

Apparently it was created in a game creation language called twine which I think is somewhat similar to choice script, though from what I gather Seedship uses far more stats, random generation and such to make it more of an rpg and less of a straight  gamebbook.
What is particularly cool is that you can keep  a log of past missions and see how good your colonies are, well as long as you don't delete cookies etc.

While not a long  game, this could be fun  a quick burst, and I can say I do like the writing and the choices.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-15 18:46:07

Wow @Dark, how did you stumble upon this? It looks really interesting, I'm just starting out now, never heard of it.

2017-07-15 23:00:22

And to report back... I enjoyed both my playthroughs. I don't know how many times I'll enjoy going through again and again though, but I loved the concept.
Now, I'd love to see this applied to an rpg-type setting with simple leveling up and attacking and learning new skills.

2017-07-16 15:10:12

This is pretty fun though I feel like, because the way the game is designed, it's sort of impossible, or at least highly improbable, you'll get a super good score unless you find a good planet quickly. Still, all the random encounters and scenarios that can occur feel well thought out and diverse enough to make sacrifices difficult, but manageable. I've played through the game about five or 6 times through, and my highest score so far has been 11546.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-07-16 20:22:55

Glad people like this one, I did think it was a cool idea.
I occasionally have a look around google for new text browser games and the like, it's how in the past I stumbled upon several games. I decided to look for a space colonization game in hopes of  something different from the usual "minimax and clobber the other player" and this one came up.

According to his patreon page the developer is working on a game based partly on the lonewolf books (the ones on project.aon), so we'll probably get those rpg skills etc next time around.

From a mechanical perspective it might have been nice if you got a little score for holding on longer thus making the balance more complicated, like say earth had been invaded by some nasty aliens and the further across the galaxy you got from them before starting your colony, the better your colonists chances of remaining undetected by them so you got a score multiplyer (actually if I can contact the developer I might even suggest that one).

Then again seeing what sorts of planets you come up with and the final description is cool, although thus far I've only seen oppressive theocracy and society based on freedom and equal rights, it'd be sort of nicer if you could have other odder varients in culture too, after all who knows what sort of society people might form on an alien planet.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-16 20:47:19

Wow, thanks, Dark! This looks interesting.

2017-07-16 20:48:08

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
I had a society that was back to basics with tools, but was separated into tribes and each tribe had a feared chief.

2017-07-16 21:18:55

Lol That is cool aaron.
I've actually tried to see how beaten up I can get the scientific and cultural databases just to see what happens, but I was in risk of all my colonists just dying in construction or the like so had to bale out and found a colony when both databases were about %50.