2017-07-14 03:02:58 (edited by MarcroSoft 2017-07-14 03:03:34)

Hi,
As some of you might know, I have created a Danish talking clock in autoit, but I don't want to use that anymore, I feel quite too limited.
As the subject says, what I need the most is a kind of number speaker like in bgt where the program concatenates the files without stopping the execution of the rest of the program as it does now in autoit, and then I need support for global hotkeys in some way so the user can get the time and other information without having ffocus on the window.
If bgt had global hotkey support I would have used that, but Philip will not implement that.
So my question is, which language would you recommend which has flexibility to add such functions, preferably cross platform if possible?
Regards,
Marc

2017-07-14 04:35:21

What do you mean by support for global hotkeys?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-14 07:01:40

I mean that when you for example press control t from anywhere it will speak the time.

2017-07-14 08:12:43

When you say from anywhere, do you mean no matter what window has focus, like a screen reader command?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-14 09:35:06

Hi,
first of all, AutoIT is much more unlimited than BGT. In fact, it's only limitation might be that it's not cross-platform capable and it's speed is pretty bad, but that's it.
The thing with the number speaker wouldn't be any problem to write in AutoIT at all, even non-blocking, because the only thing you seem to be missing here is a suffisticated sound library to use with AutoIT. 6 or 7 years ago, as I developed in AutoIT, there were libraries available which do exactly the stuff you want. One of them was the BASS audio library which is a wrapper to the cross-platform BASS audio library from here, which can easily be used to write a non-blocking number speaker. And global hotkeys are possible too. The library I used these times was simply called Hotkeys and enabled me to define any hotkey I want, accessible from anywhere.
Anyway, if you want to leave the AutoIT world to go and make something more useful (which I just can support), you might be happy with languages like Python, which are cross-platform, also soft-typed (like AutoIT is), has a nice syntax and is nearly unlimited in features, since you can enhance it with external libraries as far as you want.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2017-07-14 19:22:50

Hi,
I think I will just use autoit then.
I'm already using bass for the sound, so I must be missing something as you say.
I'm actually thinking about making it open source, maybe then we could Work on it together, but I don't understand anything about those version control systems like git.
Currently the source code is located in an unshared dropbox folder, so I could also just share it that way.
What do you think?
Regards,
Marc

2017-07-16 17:03:27 (edited by MarcroSoft 2017-07-17 00:46:16)

Hi,
Has anyone created a number speaker in autoit?
I just can't get it to wirk correctly.

Edit: I have now created a number speaker from scratch in autoit, so I will just continue to use that.
Regards,
Marc