2017-07-13 23:09:41

You have TapTapSee backwards, it started off as being a paid service but is now free as the company behind it has found other sources of income.

2017-07-13 23:42:56

I have used Tap Tap see, but it didn't have OCR. Did it?

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-07-14 00:25:13

No, it doesn't.

2017-07-14 01:44:18

I had a chance to try it on my 5SE, and so far I think it is going to be a great app. I'm not sure how it would compete with all the other AI recognition apps out there though.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-14 07:25:29

A quick notice to IOS 11 beta users. As of the latest IOS 11 beta, reading text works fine, however when you attempt to take pictures, the app exits. I did contact MSFT Accessibility about this, and they are planning to add support for IOS 11 in an update.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-07-14 09:59:01

I've tested this app and I am really impressed by the quality of the results. It had no problems reading ingredients and recognizing the name of a product in my native language. It was even able to tell me what's on the TV screen, something which I wasn't able to do with other recognition apps. Overall I think that this app is already better than most aplications that are available on the market. It will surely become my number one app when I need something recognized. And the fact that this is just the first version is really impressive in my oppinion.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2017-07-14 10:39:29

Orko wrote:

You have TapTapSee backwards, it started off as being a paid service but is now free as the company behind it has found other sources of income.

Actually, TapTapSee started out free, then went paid for a while, then went free again.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-14 12:45:40

Hahahahahahahahahaha

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-07-14 14:29:41

CAE_Jones wrote:
Orko wrote:

Actually, TapTapSee started out free, then went paid for a while, then went free again.

Oh, I didn't know that, when I first encountered it, I thought it was new because it was replacing Omogi, which was no longer available, so I thought it was new, and at that time it was a paid service. Oh well, it's a free service now.

2017-07-14 15:51:27

I've had this app for about a day now, and I think it's great. I love the ability to import pictures from the Photos app. It's really useful in recognizing photos, and just adds to Apple's native image AI. It called my 63 year old grandmother a 90 year old man with gray hair, but you know, I got the point anyway. I'm also able to find barcodes on cans now, which has always given me such trouble in the past. I did have an issue reading the barcode on a beer can, but I'm guessing the shine of the can made it tricky. The short text feature got the name, though. I also really love not having to point and tap to recognize text. Simply pointing the phone is so fast and responsive. Somebody stuck a business card to our door, and Seeing AI read it in about 2 seconds. Scanning small papers with Prismo in the past has been a giant pain. I'll have to try it out more with things like graphical restaurant menus. Somebody on Facebook said they got text from one off their laptop with the app. I wish there was a way to capture Facebook and Twitter pics to import, but that's on them, not Microsoft. I hate to see smaller independent companies go down because of this, but this app is blowing them all out of the water.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2017-07-14 16:25:18

I've downloaded this app and played around with it for a short while. How do I know if the app is picking up a bar code or not. I have an iPhone SE , which I'm told is an iPhone 6 in an iPhone 5 case.

2017-07-14 16:45:33

when scanning a bar code you will hear a beep. The faster the beep plays the closer you are to a successfull scanning. I place the item in my hand with the side that I think contains the bar code upwards and lift the phone about one foot moving it slowly in all directions until I hear the beep. Then I move it untill the beep is very rapid and then the scan will be complete. Amazingly I've managed to get the app to recognize my beer too big_smile

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2017-07-14 17:28:59

Hi.
When the app picks up a bar code, you hear a beeping, when you come closer to the point that the app is able to fully read the barcode, the beeping gets faster, At one point, you will hear that little melody, the app is processing the barcode at this given time.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-07-14 19:18:15

I found a way to get facebook photos to reccanise but its kind of a round about way. You have to save the photo and then go into your photos and go to share. Then you have to go to recognize with Seeing AI you do have to inable this by going to more in the share menu.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-07-15 00:48:24

Well, I don't have an iPhone so... e

73 Wj3u

2017-07-15 03:45:43

I haven't tried bar codes yet but will just out of curiosity, I have an ID Mate Galaxy for those, though this app may be a good stand in for when I don't have the Galaxy with me.

But I did have a chance to use it's short text function and it worked great for identifying a DVD from Netflix.

Unlike what someone else suggested, I don't see this replacing other apps like KNFB Reader. For one thing, since the OCR function in Reader is done right on your device, I'll use it when scanning something like my mail. But for something with no personal data this app will do nicely.

2017-07-15 03:59:38

When you say that this app has no personal data, then it would be the app for you? Which app has your personal data? Also, Microsoft is a big company, similar to Apple. They make a boatload of money, so they can afford to put it out for free. Others, like KNFB reader rely on purchasing the product to increase income. Others, like non-profit rely on donations to keep things running.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-15 05:30:51

I think you misunderstood me. Because the OCR function in most OCR based reading apps is done in the cloud, I won't use them on documents that might contain information about myself I'd rather not share with just anybody.

KNFB Reader, on the other hand, is safe because its OCR function is done right there on your device so any personal information it reads doesn't go anywhere unless you want it to.

2017-07-15 06:40:58 (edited by grryfindore 2017-07-15 06:41:21)

Hi,
I ehh don't find the recognise or open with Seeing AI option in my more options, besides that though, it works really well.
In some instences TapTapSee does better I.E tells me the color of clothing I am wearing,but it was quite a surprise that the Seeing AI was able to hit on my right age just by my picture, perhaps I just look right for my age, eh? tongue
pah! to the $100 for knfb, this blows it out of the water.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-07-15 11:07:53

@mastodont, Funny how you talk about that beep. Somebody made the comment that it sounds like the wheel on the Price is Right.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-07-15 11:21:23

I already have a script that I wrote to use Microsoft's cognitive APIs. They are indeed impressive, but not really that much more useful than we've already seen from most OCR and other vision apps, IMO. Still, perhaps I need to work on integrating my code into my Mac workflows (it's just a shell script at the mo), but it's already proving helpful for reading screengrabs and identifying celebs, and the like.

There are standalone devices, like the OrCam My Eye or the Eye-Pal. Maybe people wishing to take up a more comprehensive blindness solution should look at one of these. Apps still have the problem that they run on hardware destined for obsolescence. Oh and yes, privacy is a concern if you're going to use the cloud, as this app does. Over to you really but I think both have a place.

Technology companies aren't motivated entirely by altruism. In a contest between doing what's right and making money, making money wins. That should be plain to anyone, I think.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-07-15 15:15:30

@grryfindore

If you don't mind sending images of documents with personal information to the cloud, that is your choice and maybe your personal privacy isn't a concern for you, but for me, the fact that KNFB Reader is fully self contained with no need for cloud services so what information I scan with it stays in my device is worth the $100 to me any day, at least with KNFB Reader I have some personal privacy. With this Seeing AI and other OCR apps that use cloud services to do the heavy lifting there is no privacy.

But, to each his own.

2017-07-15 20:23:46

Hi.
And now the big question I am having, is this free app better than the multy thousand dollar expensive product orcam?
Greetings Moritz.

2017-07-15 20:54:48

So, yesterday, I installed the app on my Iphone 5. I must admit, for a first version, it is pretty good. In my opinion it is not ready yet to use on a daily basis, since, at the moment, it's a real battery drainer. But if MS can fix that, this app can be usefull. Of course I wouldn't scan personal documents with it. That's what I have a scanner for.
I cannot say, if it is better then KNFB, since I don't have that app. I wish, there would be a trial version for KNFB. Simply giving away 100 bucks without the chance of having the product tested is a bit much to ask, im my eyes.

2017-07-15 21:15:38

Hi.
Wait isn|t there a trial version of KNFB, I thoughty you can download a demo version with 25 free scans and than you had to purchase the full version via an in app purchase.
Greetings Moritz.