2017-07-11 13:31:25

hi all,
I am studying for the GRE exam. In order to study all the topics, I also have to study geometry. In Turkey, blind students are exempted from geometry, due to the teachers' inability to teach it and a lack of materials. How can I best learn these subjects? I will need to start from scratch. Are there materials that I can buy that I can use?

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-07-12 01:11:49

Geometry is a subject where tactile resources are all but necessary. A quick Googling leads me to some resources for teachers, mostly geared for elementary/primary students. Textbooks might help, but I wouldn't know how you'd get them. And if you'd be buying them on your own, the price would probably be outlandishly high. sad
Geometry does involve lots of rules and proofs which can be handled via text,  though I'm not sure how easy it is to find such resources that are accessible online.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-12 04:19:28 (edited by magurp244 2017-07-12 07:14:06)

Did a bit of digging, you can find braille geometry books from the [National Braille Press] and the [American Printing House for the Blind]. Prices from NBP seem to be around 100$ to 200$ per volume with collections ranging from a few books to dozens, I'm not sure if you have to buy them as a collection or not but if you do then it would range from 50$ to 5000$. From APH it seems to range from 50$ to 2000$ per book depending. There's also some lists of equipment and other resources [here] and [here].

For Software you could try [TactileView], [SVGDraw01], or my own [BrushTone], the last two being free. There's also a follow up article on SVGDraw01 [here] that covers it abit more in depth. Aside from all that there's also Braille printers, which are expensive, or 3D printing, which isn't entirely accessible.

Edit: Actually you might be in luck, I dug a bit more for used textbooks and came across [Bookshare] which offers accessible books for those that qualify with a disability, it requires a membership for access for a fee of 50$ annually with a 25$ setup cost for non-american/canadian members. One you may be interested in is [CK-12 Geometry] which is available in DAISY audio, text, BRF braille format, and epub.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-07-12 07:44:59 (edited by Ghost 2017-07-12 07:45:40)

hi,
How would digital books or text help here? I don't need to learn all the geometry subjects, just those in the GRE.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-07-12 08:20:05

Ah well, you said you needed to start from scratch and the textbooks cover and teach the mathematical formulas, concepts, and calculations used in Geometry. You wouldn't need to read everything in the textbooks if you don't want to, just the subjects required. Looking into the GRE it seems they have some accessible test prep materials available [here] and [here], including materials for math review, mathematical conventions, and general problem solving.

2017-07-12 12:13:04

hi,
For me, the figures are a priority. As I have access to people  knowledgeable in math, whom  I can review concepts with.

2017-07-13 07:27:36

By figures you mean shapes, yes? Are you looking more for physical materials to work with like accessible Geometry kits, graphs, and shapes?