2017-07-05 02:44:19 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2018-07-18 20:46:48)

Hi all,

I need a more accessible and easy way to interact with followers on Facebook. Not everyone hangs out on Twitter! tongue Anyway, any suggestions?

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-07-05 02:51:32

Sadly all I can suggest is m.facebook.com, or sero socializer. Question though. And I'm pretty sure what the answer is, but just to clarify since I haven't ever been able to run this. I've gotten a window eyes cd/license *someone gave it away on a list* and my question, should I even bother trying Social Eyes, or will it just not work, period.

2017-07-05 03:03:03

Okay... what are Social Eyes and sero socializer?

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.

2017-07-05 07:45:32

Tell Facebook to open their API so third party developers can write more accessible programs and experiences for the service. Social Eyes was a product GW Micro developed to provide an easier way to access the service. Sadly, they charged $50 annually for the software which pissed off a lot of people including myself. I wouldn't have minded if it was a one time small fee, but the subscription thing was a bunch of crap. I don't even know if it works anymore. It hasn't been updated in a while. Facebook has probably changed their APIs by now.

Sero Socializer is a program Serotek offers with their Samnet network subscription. Just like Social Eyes, it's a subscription service which I say is a bunch of bull. Then again, Serotek offers much more content with the subscription. Still, I refuse to pay a subscription to make it easier to access mainstream websites that the sighted use for granted. If Facebook refuses to let people create more accessible experiences and does nothing to imporve the website, I refuse to use the service.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-07-05 15:48:22

We've tried. Sadly that's not happening any time soon. And there's one reason why. When you use third party app, they won't be able to throw annoying ads at you which, to be honest, have no place in a social network.

2017-07-05 21:07:55

Damn. I thought I was the only one who didn't feel it was worth my time to join Facebook...

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-07-05 21:18:42

Miranda NG, while not perfect, looks like it works for messaging at least. JAWS doesn't read incoming messages or what you send automatically and not sure about NVDA. You can set up sounds for these events though so you'll know when a message is received. Having to keep a webpage open just to message people is ridiculous. This is 2017, not the 90's.

2017-07-05 22:14:06

And let's not forget that m.facebook.com is an unscripted version of the facebook site, and thus does not autorefresh. Sure, there's messnger.com, but just as Draq said, you still shouldn't have to keep a webpage open to message people. NVDA doesn't read incoming messages automatically but you don't need it to. Just configure the sound events. There's a bit of a clunky sapi implementation plugin called winterspeak that tells you when someone goes online or when a message comes, but that's up to you if you wanna install it.

2017-07-05 23:20:12

Well... dang. Facebook can go... I don't know what... but it makes my blood boil when they refuse to make the platform accessible on the web, and also refuse to let independent devs produce programs to make it more usable. So yeah, just great. Just, great!

2017-07-05 23:58:36

Agreed! I have far more respect for Twitter. I've got programs to access all the major functions of Twitter on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android. While it's true I pay a little bit of money for some of the clients, they're all one time fees that are less than $50 or even $20. I'm especially looking forward to the reboot of Twitterrific for Mac which will have improved VoiceOver accessibility. Anyway, I don't understand why Facebook can't do the same. I found some apps for the Mac claiming to make Facebook easier to access, but they're just apps that load a web interface. I don't know of anything for Windows besides the Facebook mobile app in the Windows Store. If someone could make a simple program that presented all timelines in chronological order, provided an easy method to create and manage groups and easier Messenger chat, I wouldn't be so annoyed at the company. What's the accessibility team at Facebook doing? Do they honestly believe their bloated smart phone apps and clunky website are the best experience for everyone? *sigh*

2017-07-06 06:49:11 (edited by jack 2017-09-04 20:39:51)

Not only do they believe it, but they swear by the corporate international standard that is...you guessed it, fs! complete with jaws scripts. So as far as the network is concerned, they have no problem seducing Jaws users into using their privacy-violating personal data-mining network by providing them with near perfect web accessibility, but the rest of us can eat shit as far as they're concerned, that's what it is unless we switch to jaws. And prove me wrong, in fact I'd like them to prove me wrong. Give us some beautifully designed accessible site with autorefresh at the very least, or access fixes to your mobile apps, or open up the api. Do that, and I will gladly eat my words. But they probably won't, and they do have an a11y team, but the work is stagnant, i e, let's come out with one mediocrely great thing such as the image recognition from time to time, whereas twitter's a11y team is more active and, ahem, actually responds to tweets? But they won't because they wanna protect their ads and keep them appearing.

2017-07-06 08:37:43

Are you serious about the JAWS scripts thing? Scripts aren't the ultimate solution. I've said this before, but building accessibility the right way from the actual program is the best thing to do. Apple got this right.

2017-07-06 12:15:15

He said JAWS scripts. Just like there are YouTube scripts. And a myriad of other scripts, for JAWS, that make websites nice and pretty looking for accessibility. But what do the rest of us get? A total slap in the face. I agree that accessibility needs to come from the developer, but it just makes me so mad when I hear about other screanreaders having such a blatant advantage, and then leaving everyone else to brave the waters alone.

2017-07-06 12:23:30

Heh. I should see if I can learn how to script and script Miranda NG. I think it has some potential. It just has a few issues. someone who knows Python should do so for NVDA to.

On another note... autorefresh is annoying. When I'm navigating a page, I don't want it jumpping around.

2017-07-06 15:48:28 (edited by jack 2017-09-04 20:41:34)

Draq, if you mean an nvda addon, then that would be the best thing to do. from what I've seen, all Miranda Ng is missing is an auto-announce which you can get in winterspeak. I gotta check to see if Winterspeak is open sourced. Then all we'd have to do is make it output through NVDA instead of sapi, or if people prefer sapi, make a command to shut it up, considering there is none. And yes, I agree. Jaws uses outmoded methods, scripting being one of them, and video display drivers that are not needed. NVDA, on the other hand, uses the built-in accessibility interfaces ui automation, aria, MSAA, you name it. I think f123 has the right idea. They're doing precisely what Jaws scripts do to make sites accessible, but right inside your browser so no one's at a disadvantage as long as you use firefox, but that's not too much to ask for, right?

2017-07-06 16:07:40

Oh? What is f123? As for maranda, how do I set that up?

2017-07-06 17:58:43

Hello, someone asked what is F123. Man, find out more about it at https://f123access.com/intro_en

If you want to get in touch with me, e-mail me at [email protected].
We can also get in touch on Telegram.

2017-07-07 03:40:57

Oh, this thing is cool... but still, I shouldn't have to install an addon just to use facebook like a normal human being.

2017-07-07 06:37:01

How can I navigate Facebook with keyboard shortcuts?

What are keyboard shortcuts?
Facebook has shortcuts (access keys) for people who only use their keyboards to navigate. If you experience an issue using keyboard shortcuts, please let us know. Keep in mind that keyboard shortcuts can differ by browser (example: Firefox, Internet Explorer).
Key Combinations for Different Browsers
Find the right combination of keys for your browser in the list below, and replace # with the access key number listed under Access Keys below.
Internet Explorer for PC: Alt + #, then Enter
Firefox for PC: Shift + Alt + #
Safari for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
Firefox for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
Chrome for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
Chrome for PC: Alt + #
Access Keys
0 - Help
1 - Home
2 - Timeline
3 - Friends
4 - Inbox
5 – Notifications
6 – Settings
7 - Activity Log
8 - About
9 - Terms
News Feed Keyboard Shortcuts
Some common screen readers (example: VoiceOver, JAWS) support Facebook's general keyboard shortcuts.
If you're using JAWS 16.0.2136 or higher, you first need to turn on Allow Web Application Reserved Keystrokes in the JAWS Settings Center or Quick Settings.
To turn on shortcuts for JAWS:
Use Insert + F2.
Select Run Settings Center.
Search for "web app."
Check the box next to Allow Web Applications Reserved Keystrokes. Make sure that you edit the default file.
If you're using VoiceOver, the keyboard shortcuts will automatically work:
j and k - Scroll between News Feed stories
enter/return - See more of the selected story
p - Post a new status
l - Like or unlike the selected story
c - Comment on the selected story
s - Share the selected story
o - Open an attachment from the selected story
/ - Search
q - Search chat contacts
? - Open a list of these keyboard shortcuts while in News Feed
Web Messenger Keyboard Shortcuts
CTRL + g - Search conversations
CTRL + q - Show/hide keyboard shortcuts
CTRL + Delete - Archive/unarchive conversation
CTRL + j - Mark as spam
CTRL + m - Start a new message
CTRL + i - Go to Inbox
CTRL + u - Go to Other

Original Source

https://www.facebook.com/help/156151771119453

2017-07-07 22:32:12

As for Miranda NG, you'll want to instal the clist_blind and clist_nicer plugins. Clist_blind doesn't seem to work without clist_nicer. This will enable you to see and interact with the contact list. Also find and set sounds for incoming/outgoing mesages, as those things arent' read.

2017-07-08 02:47:06

K, thanks all.

2017-07-08 03:02:15

@Chris, It should probably be mentioned that while the Twitter situation is definitely better than Facebook's and the Twitter API documentation is open and widely documented, the situation isn't completely rosey. There are still functions that are bound to Twitter's official apps, and haven't been added to the API. Things like poles and group direct messages have been requested to be added, but Twitter has yet to add them. I believe that image descriptions are also bound to the rest API, meaning that a client likely will not be able to get them without hitting the API rate limits.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-07-11 18:55:54

sorry but I have to put my 2 pence worth in.

I have never understood the fascination with facebook and twitter,  honestly from what I can gather people post stuff like, "I am now in KFC having a lovely piece of chicken",

if that's what people like these days then we are living in a sad world indeed, not to mention all the drama and feuds it causes,  however because most of my sad family use them I have tried it.

and its so horrible to navigate it makes me rage even more, is there an ap on ios that is usable?   if so I can join the rest of my friends and family and post the next time I am doing a number 2.

2017-07-11 19:09:44

If you're on Iphone, twitterrific for the win. May be paid, but voiceover support is the best there is. There's nothing wrong with Twitter, just because some unnecessary shit gets posted on it don't necessarily mean it's wrong. Imagine if that stuff got posted on those elementary bbs message boards, would you blame the bbs? Not necessarily. Just some food for thought.