2017-07-06 22:17:50

Hi all.
Well Subject says it all.
Usually I wouldn't deem it necessary to betray toshiba who I have loved and served for ages and was determined to stay with till death but toshiba seem to have retired mostly from home laptops.
Thats fine, except I find only 1 class of sat pro notebooks in new zealand.
That in itself is fine as long as I want to stay with a duel core i5 or 7 and while I could actually do that for a while, I am starting to wander if its not high time to move away from the entire world I am used to.
What I like about toshiba is the accessible website and bios etc need I say more.
With descussions on audio enhancers and also with the news about exploding batteries, I do wander where I should go.
I am looking for something like an i7 duel or quad, and or an amd a6-10 or higher.
1-2tb hdd storage, and maybe a 256gb ssd drive maybe its not needed.
When I last checked into computers about 6 years back a few changes but still I could buy units.
Now they are all these silly expensive ultra units.
I have been suggested asus, hp, or toshiba with the shop suggesting gegabyte however reviews on gegabyte suggest the battery is just not good.
In all the systems they are loaded with mcafee and other bloat, its not a problem I want to find out what I can and can't use, this tosh was loaded with such, I am a bit wary of moving from toshiba especially with its accessibility builtin to its bios via windows to change keyboard things and the like.
I have used an asus mutherboard in a desktop and find it usefull but havn't used the bloated utility suite that comes with it.
On the other hand, a friend who is a gamer uses this suite on his end and has changed his fan profiles and all sorts of things so I do wander if I am missing something.
A small note before you decide.
Toshiba, asus or hp are my top choices but I could be getting others.
Please note, that I suspect amazon may be out, I am unsure about the cost of transporting a battery device internationally and it wouldn't be worth the cost of a laptop unless it was cheap I guess.
Ideally my graphics is fine at 1-2gb my memmory can be 8gb minimum maybe higher if you want.
The rest I don't care about.
I have a propper mechanical gaming board and an old gaming mouse which I still use fine ish I don't need a really good board when in the house but I'd like a good one on the road.
One thing I'd like would be probably what you all use which would have little issues with drivers and such for say win10 upgrades,
Note, I don't care for win10 home I will have to upgrade to pro but its not a problem.
I don't mind if there is a good system with win10 s on it though at least while ms has the free pro upgrade offer in effect.
My main thrust would be as well as normal brousing, work and audio I am wanting to jump into the world of vms, and on this box while it technically should have enough the machines in vmware are just so slow while running though windows is not.
Also, is any of the bloat in some of the laptop of use.
I know the asus some stuff may be, as well as bits of hp and most of toshiba at least while the system is supported.

2017-07-06 22:24:43

Hi.
In a month I will buy an asus rog l553 with 16 gb of ram, 1 tb of hard drive and 128 gb of ssd, an intelcore i7 cuadcore at 2.8 ghz, with a good batterry but you need to install your own windows on my version.
HTH

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-07-06 23:34:21 (edited by crashmaster 2017-07-06 23:35:20)

Hmmm.
There is something like it in new zealand.
Not the same model, sounds exactly what I'd like.
I don't think I can get it here though, shame.
WHere do you get it and how much is it.
Hmmm so you have to install your stuff I assume you have to get drivers and the like for it from asus.
That in itself is fine, non bloated units rock.

2017-07-06 23:58:08

I always come back to dell for my PCs. My dad had a Toshiba laptop for many years and it was a really nice thing with a lovely keyboard, but when he came to replace it, Tosh's in that price bracket had gone to hell. The worst thing being all the components were user inaccessible. You can't replace the battery, hard drive etc without invalidating the guarantee.
He had it nine months and the battery totally died. After  trying in vain to contact Toshiba directly, Amazon gave him a full refund. He bought a Dell Vostro 3559 and frankly it's ten times the PC the Tosh was.
Plus, the great thing about bying a business PC is you don't tend to get all that bloatware crap you get on home computers.

2017-07-07 09:14:05

Hi flackers.
Well, looked at the dell units on offer here, didn't like any of the specs.
I have been advised though that while their support is good including after hours support it costs a lot of cash if I ever planned to use it.

2017-07-07 11:48:24

It's been close to ten years since I bought a dell PC directly from their site, but you used to be able to customise them to whatever spec you like. I tend to go for bargains on ebay these days. It's a gamble, but you're pretty well covered by paypal. Buy a used PC with a good spec but relatively small drive, swap out the hard drive for your own SSD, and bingo bongo. I got a 2012 Dell recently. I figure that if the hardware is still working fine after five years, it'll still be working fine after ten.

2017-07-07 13:09:26

Hi.
This laptop is something about 1000 dolars or 4500 rons in Romania but I can not find it in the UK.
I will buy from Romania but I wanted from the uk because here laptops are kiap.
I can give you a website but it is not in english.
Look on amazon.com for asus rog l553 with intelcore i7 and cabilake, I do not know what ever is this cabilake but well.
I saw it, you will have a lovely keyboard and battery is about 5 hours.
Enough for this kind of laptop.

2017-07-07 13:12:44 (edited by sightlessHorseman 2017-07-07 13:14:01)

Hi.
I have an Asus rog g752 VS with an Intel Core I7 6820 H K clocked at about 4.0 GHZ, 16 GB DDR 4 3200 MHZ RAM, a nVidia gForce GTX 1070 with 8 GB Fram, two 512 GB SSD's and a 4 TB backup 7200 RPM HDD.
I don't know what the model is called in NZ, but it might be called the same.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-07-07 14:12:39

What is the price of that laptop?

2017-07-07 14:29:09

Hi.
I got it cheaper than it originally was, I think about 2400 bucks.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-07-07 16:35:53

Good, but to big for my pocket.

2017-07-08 06:23:05

Hmmm.
Nothing like that here sadly, If that was 2400 bucks I'd get it however, something like this here is at least 3-5000 dollars.
I don't want to go much over 2000 not that I don't have the cash my family has cash but I refuse to pay silly cash for something.
As it is tne only reason I have pushed the prices so high is that to get something decent in new zealand it will cost me at least 1700 or there abouts.
Yes I can get less but hmmm.
THere is 2 more points for asus.
For those using asus did you have any bloat that was totally useless and how much of the stuff on there is usefull or is good to have about and how are things like sound effects.
On this toshiba bar having to change the keys to use normal functionality, and getting rid of the config free program as well as a lot of inaccessible remote, backup, antivirus and other bloatware most of the rest of the toshiba stuff was usefull.
Well it was till last year when it all became bloatware.
This unit is no longer supported and all drivers for it have been removed.
Luckily the mouse, display and sound have generic drivers which work well enough.

2017-07-08 10:12:37 (edited by Angel 2017-07-08 10:17:07)

Toshiba has big problems with battery.
Because you get a laptop without windows you do not get blatware.
And on an asus with windows I did not see more, but one or two apps accesible.
I can not remember the apps.
These 1 or 2 apps are the single in the laptop, not others inaccesible.

2017-07-08 10:14:38

Hi.
The sound is quite good, it has two speakers and a supwoover build into the case. There was honestly almost no bloadware on the device, you get a free year of xStream gamecaster and you also have the asus rog gaming center to tweak some of the controls like fan control, clock speeds of the CPU and stuff like that.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-07-08 10:58:08

Good.
I controled an asus not for gaming.
And I am curious, are these apps accesible on your laptop?
Because I saw on a notebook onli a sharing aplication and something I can not remember.
And like crash master, my famili has chash but they do not want to pay for games or for a laptop to expensive.

2017-07-08 12:54:57

Hi.
Well, I uninstalled xStream gamecaster, the rog gaming center is sort of accessible, you can read all the info and change some values like the fan, CPU multiplier, enable or disable the backlight keyboard, light bars and logo ilumination. I haven't found out how to change the macro keys though.
Greetings moritz.

2017-07-08 13:26:50

Thanks.
For me it is enough because I want to disable ilumination and many things to keep the battery long.

2017-07-08 15:55:36

Hi.
Well, the thing with the batterie is that it just has a 4 cell batterie, quite wimpy for a laptop like this, but this is a gaming rig witha lot of horse power under the hood and it's not really made for batterie usage, because when you are not on a power supply the CPU and GPU encounter lower clock speeds to maintain the batterie longer.
It's not very handy to carrie around, it's an 17.3 inch display, possibly about 18.5 in the end, the machine itself ways about 4.5 Killos, about 9 LBS.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-07-08 17:47:13 (edited by defender 2017-07-08 19:15:45)

According to PCMag's extensively researched roundup, the top three brands for customer service in 2017 are in order; Lenovo, HP, and Acer, mostly for phone support.
Asus placed quite low on that, even though they do make some quite good laptops; they also don't let you replace RAM or storage without voiding the warranty, and it's hard to get an extended one.
Where as with HP and Lenovo, replacement of both RAM and storage is okay, and you can easily get extended warranties, while Acer only lets you replace RAM and warranties are mostly basic.
That said how ever, I have no idea how different it could be in New Zealand on the customer service front.

So I want to know, you said that a 1or 2gb GPU would be fine, I'm assuming then that you want a dedicated one? I'm guessing for playing some of the more accessible video games on steam and such? If so, you probably want something with at least 4GB these days.
Otherwise there wouldn't really be a need as a blind person, and since dedicated GPUs are often found in gaming laptops, which usually have crappy batteries and extra bloatware, you could probably get a better laptop for your needs by going for something more business oriented.

As it stands I would suggest the HP Oman 15 or the ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VM both of which can be configured as needed, but they are both compromises, mainly the Oman.
Lenovo doesn't seem to have any offerings in your price range with the specs that you want, but Acer probably will, if you decide that you are alright with buying from them.
I used the NZ versions of the manufacturer sites to find the models, in order to insure that they were available their.

I would also say that a quad core would be a must, preferably dual threaded, and that you should have at the bare minimum 8GB, preferably 12GB or higher of RAM if you are planning on virtualizing.
Dropping the dedicated GPU requirement would help allow for that extra cost, as the integrated GPU wouldn't be a problem for virtualization under normal circumstances.

2017-07-08 19:48:11

I can upgrade the ram without problems without avoiding the guaranty.
I had acer, the worst laptop in the world for me.
Sincerely, I do not like the acer predator, is verry big and I do not like the company with all things.
I like lenovo, I have one but the newer laptops from lenovo are not so good.
For this reason my lenovo is an upgraded model from 2009.
Hp, well, is good but I do not like the batterry.
My teaker has an expensive hp from 2014 and the baterry is almost died.
And for your needs you can try or an asus, or a lenovo q80.

2017-07-08 22:03:29

Hmmm.
Gives me some food for thought then.
I have some control on asus, but its heavy, warenties suck and support is low.
Not a good idea.
While hp is full of bloat I have used their printer and am still using an old 1212.
Their website has a few things to be desired but their support is good.
Its possible I may just drop back to toshiba.

2017-07-08 22:13:25

Sincerely I do not recomend toshiba because battery dies after some months.
My asus model is 15,6 inkes and 2.5 kilos, not to heavy.

2017-07-08 22:35:16

Hi.
Lol, it|s interesting to see that one product counts for a whole company, you can't say that all toshiba models have bad batteries just because you hhad one which had this unfortunate thing happen.
If you don't like the predator due to it's sice, well, the ROG will be just about the same. You could get gaming laptops from racer, the stealth laptops are quite good, but you have to deal with higher emissions and increased fan activity.
You could also get a Asus laptop with a max q 1070 which is a model of GPU especially designed for thin gaming devices, but they lack power and are not as good as their bigger versions.
When you want to play mainstream games and don't need the graphics, I would maybe look for a machine with a GTX 970 or 980, with 3 or 4 gigs of vram respectively because those are getting cheaper and there are also configurations available with skylake models of Intel CPU's
Greetings Moritz.

2017-07-09 07:57:01

Hmmm.
I'll look into this.
My brother works in enginiering and aparently can get hp and a lot of other things.
Toshiba is scaling back however that may still be a choice to a point we will have to see.
They have really cut back in their models.
For me what keeps me on toshiba is the accessible bios.