2017-07-05 00:33:03

Before I lost my vision I used to waste a ton of time playing a game called Bejeweled Twist and before that Bejeweled 2.

I know that both of these games are inaccessible but I'm hoping somebody has written something similar as an audio game.

My favorite was Bejeweled Twist but that would be too difficult to make into an audio game so I'll describe Bejeweled 2.

The game board is an eight by eight grid in which each square has one of several types of jewels in them. Your task is to look for arrangement of jewels where swapping two jewels would result in three or more similar jewels in a row. The matching row of jewels disappears and all the jewels above them drop down a square filling in the squares where the row of matching jewels used to be, The empty squares in the top row of the board get new jewels placed in them so the board is always full of jewels. Every swap must result in a matching row of at least three jewels. The game ends when there are no available moves. There are other elements to the game but that is the basic idea.

Ironically enough, I already have this game, it's called Match Maker and is one of the games that is exclusive to the Leasey games module, like Q9. The problem is it is written in BGT so the keyboard hooking conflict affects it. I'd just switch to NVDA while playing the game but it won't run unless JAWS is running. I tried first starting the game then switching to NVDA but got errors related to JAWS not running.

So, does anybody know of an audio game like what I've described?

Thanks!

2017-07-05 04:41:05

Well your in luck. Blindfold colour crush db page here is intended to replicate the gameplay of bejeweled/candy crush in an accessible puzzle game form,  unfortunately it's only available for Ios.

I confess I found it a bit problematic to play myself, but even with vo and the large amount of board overview assistance, I've always found special puzzles like Sudoku, solitaire or  boggle difficult in without having the actual board in front of me, and certainly given the popularity of some of these games others have had better success than I have.

For Pc  there have been a few attempts at audio tettris style games over the years, the most notable probably being change reaction from draconis, but nothing of the grid sliding type of gameplay found in bejeweled.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-05 08:04:10

hello big_smile
there is  blindie match and  super crasher, on iphone, too
not really good as blindfold   collar crush but, since I don't really like blindfold and it's super friendly kid software (ahem ahem ahem lol), so yeah.

2017-07-08 04:02:29

There's also Talking Stones for Android. You can get the pro version here. There used to be a free version, but I can't find it for some reason.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-07-08 04:23:53

Thanks, but I don't have any Android devices, and I'm hoping to find something for Windows.

2017-07-08 12:26:28 (edited by KG4RDF 2017-07-08 12:28:40)

I cannot find this "Super Crasher" that you speak of either in the App Store or on Applevis.

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2017-07-08 16:28:57

Hmmm, I didn't think super stones was bejeweled, I thought it was more an accessible go type game (go meaning the Japanese board game), likewise I thought blindy match was a sliding tile puzzle, though as I've not tried either  I obviously can't say for certain.

Another possibility orco if your only looking for games on Windows is Block party  sorry I forgot about this one when I was thinking earlier, but hay as the db has over 600 games it's difficult to remember all of them big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-08 17:33:01

Bejeweled and the game I'm looking for aren't sliding tiles games like the classic 15 puzzle, it's more like Tetris but with gems or stones rather than differently shaped blocks. Plus the board is always full of gems.

2017-07-08 17:57:53

@Orco, Yep, I know, I have played something similar both graphically as an independent game and the blindfold color crush version, that is why I mentioned talking stones and blindimatch being different styles of games.
Still  blindfold color crush on Ios is directly intended as an accessible ejeweled, and from what I recall,  party has similar rules, I.e, you match up blocks of a similar sort, they vanish from the playing field and the rest of the blocks slide over to fill in the gap.