2017-07-04 19:23:54 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-07-21 09:43:26)

Hello all,

I don't know if any of you have experience with this.. How can I install WordPress on my Windows Server 2008 with the use of Remote Desktop Connection? I already went ahead and downloaded the zip archive containing the word press content on both my main machine and server, but I can't find anything on the installation guide to install it on my Windows server. It appears to be missing a web server and FTP server as well. If none of you know how to do this on Windows, might any of you be able to direct me to someone who does?
I noticed that my Windows VPS came with a programme called Server Density, which monitors various plug-ins, including IIS, WAMP, LAMP, and stuff like that, but I don't have access to any of these.I don't feel like switching to a Linux-based OS unless I have no choice and that is the only way to go.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all soon!

-Ulysses

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-04 22:18:47

I'm a pretty die hard supporter of linux being a much more solid operating system for server hosting, but anyway
here's a guide on installing wordpress on windows servers

2017-07-04 22:36:02 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-07-04 22:44:17)

I will try out Linux once I get more familiar with VPS in general. Thanks for the link, though.
By the way, I found this link to be useful. https://www.singlehop.com/blog/linux-se … s-servers/

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-05 05:08:23

You can get familiar with vps's but no matter how familiar you are with windows vps's, controlling a Linux one is completely different, for all the right reasons. There is no rdp. There is no desktop environment. Only commandline. But you can get used to the command line interface. It will be worth it. Depending on the specs of your server instance, your monthly fee may be much cheaper. You realize that your monthly fee is higher than necessary because you are paying monthly license fees for windows server, right?

2017-07-05 06:59:34

Add to that the fact that the command-line interface is most of the time -- if not all the time -- far more powerful than the graphical desktop because the graphical desktop hides a lot of the power from the user and Linux is pretty much the best.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-07-05 15:45:40 (edited by jack 2017-07-05 16:59:15)

You can say that again, Ethin. Elevating your privileges, for example, is as simple as preceding your command with sudo. After that, you'll be asked for your root password usually once per run, and then it'll proceed with the command. If you have a lot of root commands to enter at once, in most cases, if you type sudo su, it will place you in a permanent root prompt until you power down. Unless you have a really, really good reason to use windows server, and I can think of only 2 off the top of my head which are Station Playlist Studio and running vb stuff, there's nothing forcing you to have to pay license fee shit. The cheapest Linux vps is 5 bucks a month for a decent Linux vps on Vultr. If you want, I can even give you a referral link for Vultr to get some free credit to try out their vps.

2017-07-05 17:48:53

Linux will always be the preferred OS for server management.  CLI interfacing is easy once you learn it, and there are tons of resources out there to get you started.  Licensing has always been a con for Microsoft, and from what I understand, Windows as a server OS is more vulnerable to security breaches.  WINE is a good alternative to a Windows VPS, and it's only a matter of a few minutes to set up.

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2017-07-05 22:15:41

Only scenario where wine wouldn't work is if you were blind and wishing to use station playlist studio. That's about the only reason to use a windows vps that I have in mind. And this is true, Linux is more secure feature-wise, but keep in mind it's only as secure as you are.

2017-07-05 22:32:53

Very true.  I host a VPS running Ubuntu, but I barely have it secured just because I'm so new to the server management field.  So in my case, either or wouldn't really matter since I haven't done much to crack down on security.

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2017-07-07 06:16:27

I will have to agree with jack and others, unless you have a good reason, for a windows vps server, you would be  better off with linux, that is why I stick with linode, and voltr, for my servers, and voltr is very good I will say and so is linode, I like them both. Oh yeah and another thing I tryed a windows VPS with voltr just to try it and I wanted to see if rdp would restart itself after I rebooted the server, and it didn't so am guessing that is where you would need a VNC console wich is not  useable with a screen reader. I really wish voltr had something like linode, a out of band console like lish where you can ssh in to the thing to see status messages but thats a hole nuther subject. Anyways would be glad to help with linux stuff if you want more information, or some tips I self tought myself linux command line, some I learned from others, but most of it I learned from tutorials, and blogg posts.
Thanks
Kevin Roberts

2017-07-07 06:23:46

Ulices, if you want to try Vultr, I can give you a referral link. When you sign up with the link provided you will get some free credit, enough to thoroughly give a server a try so that you know what you're paying for.

2017-07-07 15:01:06

I've heard of Vultr, and I heard of Linode, and I also heard of Digital Ocean. VPS dot net I heard from a friend who learnt how to set it up via http://www.wpforbadeyes.com/
So I was able to install WAMP on my Windows VPS, and have almost completed the PHP My Admin SQL database. However, when I went to http://localhost/sitename, it brings up an http 500 Internal Server error, and I also want to rewrite the permalink so I won't have to enter domain name /blog or whatever. I don't use FTP clients as I manage all of the files via the RDC client.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy