2017-07-05 06:05:00

Okay, I've been Googling for a rather unfortunately large amount of time. I can't quite figure out the best way to handle this sort of thing. I've been looking for a good set up if I ever wanted to DM a game of Dungeons and Dragons. A lot of resources exist as far as running a character as a player with visual impairments, but the internet has surprisingly few resources for those wanting to run the game. Does anyone have any good suggestions? My biggest concern is dealing with world maps and the like.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-07-05 17:01:34

It depends upon the edition.
More recent editions of D&D such as 4th and especially 5th have rules for combat that are very heavily positional, indeed people say now it is nearly half a war game.

If running an earlier edition you shouldn't have a problem since combat basically just involves noting distance from enemies which is fairly easy.

More generally the one thing you will need is a way to stat npcs or look up the stats of npcs on the fly. This is one of the things that has I confess put me off   idea of trying gming myself, since I don't know any rpg system quite well enough to get the numbers correct to quickly come up with what various monsters etc we need.

That being said, for the games I've played very extensively our gm has had the correct programs on his laptop, eg, hero lab for when we were playing mutants and masterminds, and would stat the major npcs before the session and have instant profiles for miner ones he could pull up, indeed he had a lot of npc stats stored so that he could fairly easily pull  a villain or two  he thought the players were having it a little too easy big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-05 17:43:04

I've been looking to run something with 5th Edition just as it's the newest, and the one fresh on most people's minds. Fourth Edition definitely fits as the most war game like, and though 5th Edition toned it back quite a bit, a map seems to make organization of placement a lot easier. As far as stating NPCs, I think I have a few ideas that should make it rather quick to look stuff up when I need particular NPCs or monsters. The internet is full of different calculators and stats on a bunch  of that sort of thing. I will have a look at other additions, however.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"