2017-07-03 18:54:34

@Dark, That's why you shouldn't use Spellcheck. I don't know if your keyboard layout is also English UK, and one of the reasons I don't trust spellcheck and the autocorrect feature is because Word has the habit of applying the American English rules onto your document. For example, if you have a word like "realise", written r,e,a,l,i,s,e, not r,e,a,l,i,z,e, word will automatically change the S to a Z, and this is also true for other American English grammar rules, for example in the word colour which is written c,o,l,o,u,r, Word will automatically eat the U and will show it written color. The only suggestion, as I told you some lines above, and I don't guarantee it'll work, is to also change the keyboard layout to English UK. That might help, and I will try it now for you.

2017-07-03 20:17:13

@dark, now I tried changing the keyboard layout to English United Kingdom, and hopefully (but not surprisingly) it worked.

2017-07-03 21:43:03

Coming in a bit late here, and am not really able to comment on the issues at hand with Word. But I do have some thoughts on the thread.

This discussion sort of draws an interesting parallel in my mind to music, since I am frankly better at writing music than words. Somebody like Dark, who is confident and experienced in writing, may not want something doing grammar checks. HE knows what he wants to say and how he wants to say it. Even if some rulebook says what he's doing isn't most accurate or whatever. Similarly, when I am creating music, I do not want some program editing my performance and moving notes to a more proper mathematically correct rhythm, or wanting to remove notes that are outside the scope of what classical theory would allow. After all, how can a computer possibly know what is wanted?

But let's take this in a different direction. I by no means consider myself a good writer. Average, perhaps. The reason I got good grades on college papers wasn't because I was a good writer, it was because I made good points and articulated them adequately. I was not writing doctoral works, nor did I take writing classes other than the core courses I was required to take. I did run spell check on absolutely everything I submitted, and equally proofread as much as I was able, but I often got criticized on mechanics. The criticisms were always vague too, such as "mechanics need work." Okay then. But I will be the first to admit that their criticisms are probably valid and warranted. Go ahead and criticize my mechanics on this post, I will try not to be offended. tongue

While trying to educate myself on rules of English or improving my grammar would by all means be a good idea, I don't really know if it's worth it. Style, as Dark said, is more than a flat set of rules which can be shown to an algorithm. So, the conflict between when to follow or break conventional rules is always ongoing in my mind. In a musical context, I've considered classical rules to have gone out of date over a century ago so I do what feels right to me. But because I am not as confident in my writing abilities, I wouldn't mind trying a grammar-proofing  algorithm. I write kind of informally, at least in my word choice, because I am used to having things spoken to me, and I think that is a different mechanism than reading. When I did read braille all the time, I had the same problem. I just was never the type of person to separate written edicate from verbal, so if there are stupid simple things I do in my writing that just wouldn't be acceptable, and an algorithm correctly identifies some of the obvious ones, than more power to it, I'd say. In any case, I can summarize the practicality of any checking/correction tools in three simple words: Use as needed. To expand upon that, if you think you need it all the time, then the tool will not do you much good in the longrun, so be proficient enough in your abilities so that you only need the tool occasionally. If I had a grammar-checking tool, I would not rely on it. With that said though, it's always fun to use it a little too much and see how the result can become stilted if overcorrected.

I don't think that Word being set up to yell about grammar by default is an entirely bad idea, though I will admit it may have been wiser to be turned off by default. Nevertheless, I'd likely not notice such features unless they hit me in the face for a while and demonstrate their existence. This in turn forces me to learn how said features work for future reference. Not being satisfied with that, the program would continue to nag me until I am driven by insane agitation to go into the settings to turn the damn thing off. smile IN all seriousness though, I can see all sides and angles really to the usage of these tools.

I don't have agrammar checking tool at present, but it's something I've been thinking about playing with for a while, if for no other purpose than to abuse and play with, and not actually use practically. I remember when I was using Word 2003, I briefly saw its grammar checking in action, though I can't remember much about it. I also had a strange auto-summarize feature in my copy of Word, and that was a load of fun. Sometimes it seemed to actually work well, and sometimes not.

This thread has peaked my curiosity. What software exists that does more than just spell-checking for text? What kind of language parsing processes exist that at least intend to help improve or diagnose your writing in some way?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-07-03 22:14:12

@Afrim I already had language and keyboard layout set to English uk, which is why this was confusing me. I have however tried a different document, and I believe the problem might be that specific filee and indeed the text from it since  worked on it on my old xp machine and I'm not sure of the settings there.

I tried a new document, and pulling up one of my old ones and both stayed English uk throughout the hole spellcheck, so hopefully it's not a problem which will occur again.

@Raygrote, classical  form is a good example in music and just as you wouldn't want some automated program correcting all your music to absolutely classical format, you wouldn't want the same with grammar.

I don't mind as I said the spellcheck being used to check the odd thing, eg, missing spaces, but when it comes to trying to apply linguistic rules of phrasing and composition that actively contribute to the meaning and form of what you are saying, I am dead against the idea. Indeed I'm afraid it sounds to me rather more as if Word is just setup for corporate drones who want nothing but documents that all read the same way, with the same style and  of utterly correct, soulless prose which kill any sense of individuality or beauty, indeed I feel rather the same way   every time I pick up a new novel and find something that reads like a narrated film script with only the bare bones of the action described and no use of atmosphere or poetry in the writing itself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-03 23:15:21

hi dark,
The language setting for the spellchecker in word is indeed document specific. However, try this. Open a document, then check the language of the spell checker. If it is US, change it, then tab to set as default.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-07-04 05:39:48

Hi Enes.
That was the first thing I did, however even when I set the default language to English Uk, it kept going back to English Us, whether I used the "automatically detect language" box or not, it was quite frustrating, but hopefully won't be an issue again, and since I have now recently exchanged that xp laptop for a windows 10 one on which I'll be installing the  same copy of office, hopefully the problem won't occur again.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)