2017-06-29 17:32:53

I am currently using Avast, but it is annoying the hell out of me.  It blocks just about every single game I download from this site and its interface is too inaccessible to unblock the applications.

What accessible anti-virus applications do you guys use?

2017-06-29 17:49:28

I don't get why all the antiviruses are all of a sudden blocking all of our bgt releases. Can't these be reported as false positives?

2017-06-29 18:10:05

I use Windows Defender on Windows 10. It works well.

2017-06-29 19:12:31

I asked this same question about a month ago when AVG which is practically the same as avast, was bugging the hell out of me. I was recommended Microsoft Security Essentials. I tried it and found it totally accessible and so that's what I'm using now.

2017-06-29 19:25:17

I did report Crazy Party as a false positive, but how long will it take the Avast devs to fix the issue? As for Windows Defender, I don't trust it.  I am pretty computer savvy and actually have no problem with going on without an anti-virus, but if I had to use one it would not be Windows Defender.  I am sure applications called virus.exe can go unnoticed by Windows defender.

2017-06-29 20:10:58

On windows 10, I use Windows Defender, but as soon as I get rid of Win 10, I think I'll go for Malwarebytes.

2017-06-29 20:21:57

I use ESET NOD32, and I haven't had any trouble with BGT  so far.

Also, Malwarebytes isn't an anti-virus as far as I'm aware; it's anti-malware. You can safely run it alongside an anti-virus.

2017-06-29 20:48:11

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, on windows 7. So far, it works just fine, though it might just be because I don't exactly download viruses every day. smile

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2017-06-29 21:26:30

I have esset NOD32 on my laptop, however, I got it that way from the box.  I may just give that a try.  It is not like I download malicious files every day, but when one slips through the cracks I want something that will pick it up.

2017-06-29 21:44:48

I recently had to change from AVG to another solution, because AVG rewrote their GUI and it got totally inaccessible from one day to another.
I decided to go with Kaspersky Internet Security, since there is an NVDA add-on available which works fine if you know how to use the navigator in NVDA. It's almost totally accessible now and that's cool. It's a bit excited about finding and removing virusses instantaneously and you first have to get into the features of it to find a program inside the quarantine and mark it as a false positive and move it back into it's original folder, but after trying a bit it works well and that's nice. That seems to be my new AV solution until the developers gain decide to change the GUI interface...
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2017-06-30 01:20:53

MSE/windows defender is about as trustworthy as they get in free world; if you have money, go get something else and let us know how accessible it is.  Personally, I'll stick with the former; I can set it, forget it, and because I am tech salvy I don't need to worry myself sick about my PC.
For the record, as of January 2017, MSE/windows defender has put in a rather impressive performance in AV-TEST's recent real-world testing, scoring 100% in both January and February.  When it came to detecting malware in a reference set of samples, it picked up 99.3% in January and 99.6% in February. It also did well in AV-TEST's false-positive test, with only three false detections from over a million samples of benign software. It scored 84% in SE Labs' live malware exposure tests, and avoided most false positives, giving it an overall score of 94%.  The long and short of it is that, if you're running windows 10, windows defender may be the only antivirus software you truly need, assuming you use common sense.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-06-30 02:28:54

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials ever since I discovered that Avast wasn't very accessible about three and a half years ago and have been satisfied with it. It may not be as good as Avast, but it *IS* fully accessible.

2017-06-30 17:12:21

After doing some research I also came to the conclusion that the default Windows Anti virus is sufficient.  I am also tech savvy and don't worry about getting viruses from stupid things like clicking adds.  However, since this topic seems to be a bit troublesome for some folks I took the liberty of continuing my research to find a decent anti-virus for folks that don't want to settle for Windows Defender.  A found a really helpful post on reddit which I will paste below, just note that the post had nothing to do with accessibility, it merely discusses a list of decent anti-virus options.  Anyone reading this can check out the below options for themselves.

Best AV-http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3e16h7/what_is_the_best_antivirus_to_go_on_a_new_computer/ctamthw
I work in a shop that cleans hundreds of computers a week and I see and have to deal with a lot of anti viruses. This is the general consensus on the internal forums of popular AVs.
McAfee - Literally a virus. This is the most pre-installed anti virus software out there. Common problems with this AV include the inability to access the internet through browsers, decreases in performance, especially browser performance if the McAfee extension is installed, and Operating System file corruption.
Norton - An AV good at detecting viruses with everything going against it. Norton is pretty good at scanning and removing viruses. The pros stop there. When norton expires, it deactivates it's real time web protection which also stops your internet from working. I have seen it use more than 50% of system resources when scanning and can idle at 10%. The uninstaller rarely works on systems that have had norton on them for a while. Comes with a lot of its own adware like useless password managers and backup software. The backup software will often back up your computer to itself filling your HDD.
AVG - not very good at protecting you from viruses. Huge startup impact. Uses a fair amount of system resources. Often requires removal tool to get rid of it. Corrupts system files often. Never wants to update itself.
Avast - Has a good basic virus scanner. For some reason, more blue screen issues are caused by avast than any other anti virus. If you're having BSOD issues or issues with drivers or programs that are unexplained, it's usually avast.
Hitman Pro - This AV (scan and remove only) has an insane detection and removal record. If no other anti virus can fix your computer, and you really don't want to reformat, Hitman Pro is the scanner to go with.
Malware Bytes - Very good at finding and removing browser malware and less serious malware and infections. Very good at cleaning out infections like Search Protect and Trovi. Not the best at getting rid of more serious infections. Warning, this will usually delete all of your internet cookies.
Trend Micro - Causes weird issues with program installs and drivers. Real time protection can disable internet access if it screws up. If this av is causing problems it usually has to be removed with a removal tool. Not the best detection rates.
Kaspersky - Updates take forever. Huge startup impact. Very good detection with virus scanner. Pretty heavyweight and uses a lot of system resources. Worst password protector/manager ever created bundled with basic software.
Webroot - Extremely lightweight with very good detection. Uses at most 3% of your computer's resources. Probably the only AV that doesn't seem to cause OS or internet issues. Does not pop up asking you to buy things, doesnt come with any stupid addons. Probably my favorite AV for people who want a third party AV. Good for gamers and power users.
Windows Defender - All you really need. Since hitting "Yes" to install ShopFromHome and Search Protect on that youtube download installer will bypass any anti virus, there's really no reason to spend money on a third party antivirus if you're smart enough to not click on these things in the first place.
Avira - Fairly light weight AV. Probably the best free AV out there if you don't mind xing out of the add every day. I usually install this on family computers if they're prone to getting infections.
I've had a pretty good experience with NOD32. I used it for 3 years, and installed it for a few friends when they were having virus troubles. As far as I know it cleaned up pretty well, didn't impact performance very much and felt light weight (I didn't check exact values and I have pretty good specs so I can't be sure). It definitely didn't have the same sluggish feel as McAfee and Norton

2017-06-30 19:49:36

Thumbs up on 13.  Malware Bytes and super anti spyware are both worth checking into if you're going to run MSE/windows defender, particularly since A, they're the only two pieces of security software I've seen that can run along side dedicated AV, and b, because both are so simple that you can overlook the accessibility issues in them.  It's worth mentioning little tools like CCleaner in this topic concerning security, because once you delete malware of any kind you really want to run a registry cleaner to get rid of any remnants security software overlooks.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-06-30 21:34:18 (edited by Orko 2017-06-30 21:37:15)

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an anti virus that will catch all threats, a virus scanner like that is for the clueless, for everyone else, a good anti virus like Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender and some common sense is enough to keep the nasties away.

And for the biggest threat to your system, the internet itself, always running your browser in a sandbox is an excellent defense against what does slip through.

I stopped supporting CCleaner when they went commercial, besides not being fully accessible without jumping through hoops, they pollute their installer with crapware nobody wants that will be installed on your system if you aren't carefull. Kind of ironic isn't it? CCleaner used to be all about keeping the crap out of our systems, and now they have done a complete 180 and are pushing crap on us with their installer!

And finally, what will you replace Windows 10 with? Didn't Microsoft say that Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows?

2017-06-30 23:07:50

I use Kaspersky, but I do have it setup so it never scan my game folder to prevent things like that from happening

2017-06-30 23:45:51

True story: I used some Norton product not too long ago for the span of a day because it was preinstalled on an HP PC I had just purchased.  I downloaded NVDA and it promtply deleted it; I sat inside my downloads folder and watched it happen.  Virus happy, much?

2017-07-01 02:11:47

Odd. What crapware does CCleaner install? doesn't it have options to not instal it?

2017-07-01 03:08:06

Since about 2000, I've held the belief that both Norton and McAfee are garbage and won't go anywhere near either of them. Once installed on your computer, they are harder to get rid of than the viruses they're supposed to protect against.

@drac

I don't recall, probably Google Chrome and a Google toolbar for Internet Explorer, or something like those, and yes they offer an opt out, but as I recall they weren't readily accessible, I had to change to object browsing to get to the controls to uncheck them.

2017-07-06 08:13:41

Hello! I use BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition on Windows 10. It's a good one.

If you want to get in touch with me, e-mail me at [email protected].
We can also get in touch on Telegram.

2017-07-06 09:35:12

Yes, it is a verry good one but verry inaccessible.
I had it, I like it but I can not install it without a sigted person.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-07-06 09:54:19

I've also had bad experiences with mcafee (which does its best to block anything that tries to connect to the internet) and norton (which detected way more false positives than actual viruses). I'm on kaspersky at the moment which works fine for me, and which hasn't had a false positive so far. I didn't know there's an NVDA addon for it though, I should go look for that.
I also use noscript in firefox, although I've never actually gotten a virus from the internet. My viruses have always come from other people's flash disks or external hard drives. Some university pcs also have viruses that get onto your flash.

2017-07-06 12:26:56

NOD32 isn't perfect in terms of accessibility, but it's useable. I don't have any experience with ESET's other products such as smart security.

2017-07-07 05:24:35

I currently use Viper anti virus, it is very useable with screen readers, and have not any programs be deleted from a false positive. Its a payed program.
Thanks
Kevin Roberts

2017-07-09 01:46:12

I used to use Nod32 myself, but I found that I couldn't work with the latest version at all with NVDA, and I wasn't all that comfortable with the idea of staying a few versions behind just for basic accessibility. Plus, it nagged me all the damn time to upgrade to the latest version. So, I decided that when I bought my new computer, I'd give Windows Defender a try. I figured that if something went wrong, I know how to format my system/keep current backups/get myself out of any horrible situation that might arise. I haven't kept up with the latest AV test results, so was unaware that it had been scoring higher than before in recent months, but it adds up. I'm pretty happy with it. I do keep Malwarebytes and Clamwin around as backups, though. I don't think it hurts to have a backup plan inside of another backup plan.

Where can one find this Kaspersky add-on, though? I wasn't aware that it existed. I don't plan to purchase another antivirus for myself soon, but it would be nice to have in case someone else I know wants to try it. It's definitely not an official add-on; I've never seen it listed on NVDA's website.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.