2017-06-21 16:11:43

I don't know either. I don't have the Echo anymore, I returned it. I'll just keep an eye on the iOS app, it it's rating goes up to something I'm a bit more comfortable with, I'll buy it again.

2017-06-21 16:41:45

"Chris, when I tried the ios ap I found that it was impossible to go back to any menu.
this meant it was literally impossible to look at say a list of or services or similar.
I don't know if this got fixed, but I know it certainly was! still a problem in January of this year which is why I tried the web ap.

"Orco, I can't speak for the issues, whether it's a jaws thing I don't know, then again sicne I've yet to get much good out of my own echo dot I'm probably not the best person to ask anyway.
I would like to get some! use out of it, since I feel rather guilty at my brother being kind enough to spend what was undoubtedly not an inconsiderable amount on a Christmas present,  when I tried it in January the things it did like weather and news it did not do half as well as Siri since it's voice recognition seemed far worse, and as for skills and what not there didn't really seem to be many available other  than playing the national lottery, when I tried to get it to play music it failed miserably (I couldn't get it to connect to radio stations and the closest thing it found to beathoven was some dj crap), plus I don't really like the idea of a streaming service anyway I'd rather own my own music and play it on whatever I want whenever I want.

Perhaps though at least from the point of view of skills and such I should try it again, since it is possible more skills are now available in Britain which might make the thing sort of worth using.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-21 16:57:05

I can't speak for Great Britan, but here in the Unitied States, if my memory is correct, I think Amazon was selling the Dot for around $50 which is probably around 40 gbp which is still a nice present. And if there aren't any skills available that you want and can use, that's not yours or your bother's fault, so no real reason to feel guilty about not using it. Just look at it as a resource you'll want some time in the future.

Once you have a number of skills you want and you begin to use it, you wonder how you got along without it.

As far as streaming goes, I'm with you, I'd rather be able to play my own music rather than pay a streaming service like spotify or Pandora to play music I already own, but for some radio stations, it's great. One of my favorite stations plays classical music but is so far away that only a really sensitive radio or a radio with a superior antenna can pick it up, so I always listen to through my Victor Reader Stream. It comes in crystal clear with that, and did with the Echo while I had it.

I will more than likely buy another Echo somewhere down the road, at this point I'm just waiting for Amazon to fix the iOS version of the app or for a reason to buy one of their Fire tablets. I'd be willing to bet money that the Alexa app works perfectly on one of those.

2017-06-21 20:37:36

Dark, I think the problem is that the Echo is still primarily designed for the United States. Maybe there are more skills since you last looked in January. You may want to give it another shot. The Alexa app was updated recently and the accessibility is much better. Just use the menu button to bring up a menu that lists all the various options. The only slight issue I've found is having to tap somewhere in the center of the screen to focus the list. Aside from that, everything works well for me.

Orko, have you tried contacting customer service? You definitely shouldn't be experiencing these issues. I know Amazon hasn't been the best in terms of accessibility for a while, but they've really turned their act around in the last two or so years. All their Fire devices are screen reader accessible, Kindle for Windows is now accessible when using both JAWS and NVDA, and they just introduced audio description to Prime Video. The Echo products are awesome as well. Now if only Kindle for macOS was as good as the Windows version.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-06-21 21:21:42

Since I am a member of Amazon Prime, that they have finally started supporting video description in their video service might be reason enough to get a Fire tablet. Then I could use the Android version of the Alexa app which probably works a whole lot better than the iOS version.

I'll have to give it some thought.

2017-06-21 22:02:38

I love my echo. I use it for listening to radio, alarms and timers, facts and maths  stuff. Other things I use it for are more simple like checking time, date, weather. I also like the news updates. I also use it for spellings. The only thing I would say it's not so great at is facts. The google speaker can check anything on google, whilst Alexa sometimes doesn't know. She can usually check on  wikapedia.
I also wish it could translate.
As for music, if you have amazon prime or amazon music (which you can get for around 3/4 pounds per month on the echo) or Spotify premium then it's great for music. If not then you can upload 250 songs to the cloud service and there's always radio too.
Hope that helps.

2017-06-21 22:03:55

and by the way the app is very accessible for me. no real problems, could do with a bit of work but can be navigated easily enough.

2017-06-22 20:03:37 (edited by Orko 2017-06-22 22:55:04)

After some thought, I broke down and decided to try the Echo again.

Surprise! Despite it's poor rating the Alexa app seems much better behaved than it did last February.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the most out of it. For example it would be nice to set up things I order repeatedly , like filter cartridges for my water pitcher, so that when I tell Alexa to order more filters, , as I've heard done on commercials where the guy says, "Alexa, order more tape.", the right filters will get ordered.

The echo's documentation seems a bit skimpy.

Does any have the address of the Amazon Alexa web page? It's been four moths and a number of updates since I last tried it and would like to try it again.

Thanks!

2017-06-23 18:20:31

I'm going to post this question in a separate message because just adding it to my previous message doesn't seem to be getting any results.

Does anyone know the URL for the Amazon Alexa web site that I can use as an alternative to the iOS app?

The iOS app seems to be working OK now, but using a full keyboard rather than the phone's on screen one would be far better.

Last time I tried it back in February, it crashed my browser, hopefully that has improved too.

2017-06-23 21:18:24

Unfortunately the only Url I have for the website version of the Alexa ap is the Uk one though you can try it if you wish and see if you get redirected:
http://alexa.amazon.co.uk

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-23 22:23:17

Thanks, Dark!

I just substituted .com for the .co.uik, creating http://alexa.amazon.com,  and it worked. No browser crash, so things are looking up! (Big Grin)

2017-06-24 02:15:00

Ah, glad that worked.

I considered trying that myself accept that it would've inevitably redirected me back to the co.uk address big_smile.
I do need to sort my echo out since I suspect my brother paid a bit more than what it would be in the states (things are generally more expensive over here and the echo had only just come out).

2017-06-24 02:51:59

Actually I think the Echo has been available for two years with it's smaller brothers Dot and Tap arriving about a year later.

2017-06-24 15:53:31

Hey, Dark.

Don't feel alone in not finding things to do with your Echo, Ieven with all the skills I have available to me here in the United States, I only have two that are actually what I'd call useful and one of those, weather, came preloaded. The other allows me to order Pizza from Pizza Hut and all the rest, two or three, are games I plan to tinker with.

Since I am a Prime member, what I use the Echo for most right now is to take advantage of the Amazon Prime Music service that is a part of being a prime member to get soft, easy listening, background music. There is also an Amazon Unlimited streaming music service I can subscribe to to extend the Prime music service I already get, but, like you, I have an extensive music library that I'd rather find a way to have the echo be able to play at no additional cost. I can load up to 250 songs to my Amazon drive and the Echo can then play those, but if you want to upload more than 250 tracks, a monthly charge gets involved, and my current music library contains about 2,300 tracks.

I'm sure, that as time goes by, and skills become available, that we will find uses for the Echo we never thought of.

2017-06-27 22:38:07

I just learned a lesson, do not do the voice training in the Alexa app. For most of a week, my Echo has been flawless, then I decided to improve its interpretation of my voice so I did a couple of voice training sessions with it.

In each of these sessions you are asked to say 25 sentences to the Echo in your normal voice and the way you would normaly talk.

After doing this voice training my Echo now barely understands me. I now have to repeat things to it several times before it gets it right. Even worse, according to Amazon, there is no way to undo the effects of the voice training except to do a master reset to restore the Echo to its factory default condition, which means you have to go through all the set up you've already done including enabling all the skills you enabled and re setting them up if they had to be set up before use.