2017-06-17 07:47:02

Hi all,
Not sure if this should go in general game discussion or not. Because the thread could actually go in multiple directions if geeky musicians get on board, I've decided to post it here.

While listening to Super Liam music, I had a thought. Who else has thought about, or has actually taken it upon themselves to remix or transcribe music from audio games? If this is your thing, then here's the thread to show off your musicianship while keeping the audio game spirit! Anything is encouraged, from audio files to midi or chiptunes in some obscure format if that's what you do. Just keep in mind that some people will not be able to hear your music if it's in some uncommon format.

I've done a few transcriptions myself but don't want to share them just yet because they're not that great, but also because I don't want to be the awkward guy who created a thread and was the only one contributing to it.

I also encourage thoughts on audio game music too, such as discussing if a game used music from something else or how the music was made. Just try to keep from completely derailing the thread into some in-depth discussion of a specific topic. I want this to be a place to have a fun time discussing music, and most importantly for you to share your derivative works if you have any and are comfortable doing so.

To keep discussion civil, here are a few guidelines to keep in mind. Most of these are common sense but...

1. This thread is primarily for discussing audio game music, though video game music discussion might sneak its way in fairly quickly. But there are so many places on the Internet for discussing that. I'm really in two minds about how much video game music is worth discussing on this thread.

2. Referencing an original track is encouraged if you feel it is necessary. If the game you are referencing stores its music as unencrypted files which could be found with little difficulty, it's probably okay to just point that out. I don't think stooping to ignorance of that level is enough to legally protect something. However if the music is encrypted, that's a different story. Do not encourage or instruct on decryption, and do not upload a clean copy of the music! The last thing we need is for people bugging for music and sounds from game X, or for the moderation hat to come on. smile If you want to share music from a game where it's not easily visible, I think the best we can do is share a recording where the music is used in context so it falls under some sort of fair use policy.

3. Try to keep things objective. If you want to introduce subjectivity, keep it constructive. We all work hard to do what we do, and if you speak in a way that suggests otherwise, I will not be a very happy person. If you don't like something and can't say it nicely, don't say it at all.

Well, that's it! I hope this sparks some interesting discussion!

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-06-17 14:36:04

Woooo I like the sound of this thread already and promise to contribute to it as soon as I can get my head wrapped around my current setup.  Variations on Perfect Dark by Nocturnus coming up in the hopefully not too distant future.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-06-17 16:44:26

I have a questinon: How was the BK games music made?
I know some music is downloaded/bought but some is custom made if I am right

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-06-17 20:41:15

Much of the music was made by a program called muse, a text-based midi composition program... and then processed using Reaper in the usual way of music production.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-06-18 20:57:32

Ah, OK, and what soundfonds were used? Can I buy/download them somewhere?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-06-19 15:11:08

A lot of the stuff from BK2 sounds like it was composed on a Sound Canvas (probably sc88 pro). It was an old hardware sound module. You can actually get it in software now with Roland's Sound Canvas VA VST, but its accessibility is not at all good.

Also I've heard a few tracks in BK2 which sound like they were made with Hypersonic, again an old synth. This time from Seinberg. It's no longer sold.

2017-06-19 17:24:27

As to that, I have no idea... but Raygrote is probably right, a lot of that does sound like Roland material, like the stuff I get on my own unit, the gr-55 guitar synthesizer which has 910 of Roland's JV expansion samples.

2017-06-20 01:29:41

Anyone know where I can get a fractal effects processor for cheap for a guitar I don't have, which I might also be able to get for cheap?  :d
So many limitations when it comes to music, and all of them, everysingle freaking one of them caused by this little, itty bitty thing called money that affects me in a monumental way!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-06-20 14:25:35

Hello!
I tried out MuScore, or however it is spelt, and it doesn't seem to be accessible with NVDA. Any idea why?
Also, I liked some of the newer game music that Quinten Pindel has available for royalty-free use. Most of them are primarily orchestral, and I think one of them sounds like it was made with Edirol HQ Orchestral, although I think he mainly uses a keyboard synthesisiser, not a MIDI keyboard.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-06-21 06:01:22

Of course this might have changed, but last I heard, his music sounded like it was made with a Yamaha Tyros keyboard (if I had to guess, probably original Tyros since he's not using fancier patches that come with Tyros 2 and beyond). I am still in love with that sound set, and finally got a keyboard that has it in its full glory, in addition to many of the newer sounds I like. His music has actually inspired most of my orchestral writing with those sounds, at least it did when I started sequencing. I can think of a million reasons why they inspired me so, but none of those reasons seem too special when I think about it. Lol

2017-06-21 08:26:34

Last I  heard of Muse score, they were working on accessibility, but the project wasn't fully complete. I prefer MidiText for composition... You know, when I get around to composing music.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-06-21 08:44:33

I just would like to add that Edirol SD-50 which my composer used had done some quite good stuff, too.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2017-06-22 07:43:41

I have made remixes of music, but none good enough to include here. I do believe my drumming skills were good, but the other instruments I was using were sub par. Encase people are wondering, at the time, I was using the quick time midi synthesizer, which is the synth that comes with garage band and logic for mac OS X. Ironically, I haven't found anything better than that synth yet. If anyone can recommend a good synth for an affordable price, please let me know. I'd also like to do 8bit stuff, but I can't find an accessible tracker anywhere, not even for Mac OS. I'm mainly looking for something that emulates the real thing pretty accurately, like famitracker.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-06-22 15:17:14 (edited by blindncool 2017-06-22 15:17:48)

I've thought about this many times.
One of my more recent thoughts was for an "Audiogames Meet Metal" video, featuring heavy metal versions of various audiogame music. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this channel on Youtube.)

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-06-22 15:36:38

'DO IT!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-22 23:41:37 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2017-06-23 05:55:29)

I have also made remixes of audio games, but most are incomplete to share them here.

To make remixes I use MidiText; I work well with it.

I have started using Edirol SD-20 MIDI File Converter when making MIDIs. I'd like to work with DAWs, but making music with text is what I do best.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2017-06-23 00:13:01

Could never wrap my head around writing out text for midi. Guess it's the same block that prevents me from programming... I can't manually write notes, velocity, length, etc. Makes it so much easier to play the music... I just don't know squat about playing keyboard, which is the most convenient midi source.

2017-06-23 03:43:18

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... I like how NoteWorthy Composer does it. If it could be made accessible, that'd be great. If you play a lot of mainstream games, though, I imagine it might be less difficult to deal with the accessibility issues. But it's still writing out music, just via sheet music editor rather than letters and numbers.
Maybe I like NWC just because my rhythm is too awful to use QWS's onscreen keyboard. tongue I think playing the music would be much slower, because it'd take practicing each part and editing the recording for transcription errors. Meanwhile, writing it only requires doing it once and is not vulnerable to bad posture or missed notes. ... I miss band.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-23 07:22:39

As a musician, I would definitely say the opposite... but writing is all well and good, but the amount of times it takes to get right playing it is exactly what makes me feel so accomplished once I actually get it right. But this is coming to the guy who hasn't composed all that much. lol

2017-06-23 13:17:37

assault_freak wrote:

Could never wrap my head around writing out text for midi. Guess it's the same block that prevents me from programming... I can't manually write notes, velocity, length, etc. Makes it so much easier to play the music... I just don't know squat about playing keyboard, which is the most convenient midi source.

Breaking my own rule and about to go on a tangent and derail the thread a bit. But why not? big_smile

I also cannot wrap my head around programming, but mml and similar music text composition comes to me with only moderate effort. With enough practice with a particular system I can normally coax some fairly fun stuff from it. By contrast I've struggled for years to grasp programming and have just about given up, even with comparatively simple prospects like BGT. Basically, I think what it comes down to is that people think in different ways. The more specifically you can narrow into your strengths and weaknesses, the better. While I can't be sure if a block for programming is the same as a block for music text, in my own case the two are completely unrelated. I think this is because programming is syntactical in the sense that you have to know a language and its structure, while MML is very linear in nature. The only time it isn't is if you explicitly specify as such, i.e. make an instrument or something and then call it up later for use. Different versions of MML do work differently though, and so that can be confusing if you don't have adequate documentation or you're not good at dealing with differing methods.

A lot of what goes into MML writing is just knowing what you're getting into. MML is not a language you will use if you want to sound like a live band. That goal would be counterintuitive really. Often what you will find is that timings and velocities and whatnot are pretty grid-like when writing in text, or indeed when writing with anything that isn't live input, simply because there is no easy way to do it otherwise. This is not to say that mml is bad... some tools do have randomizers to try and mitigate this deficiency, and you can still do a lot of advanced tricks to add pollish to even acoustically oriented tracks. So don't think of text composition as that generic cheap-sounding stuff, because while it often starts that way, it doesn't have to stay there. there is no doubt in my mind that having live input is easier on all fronts, and I wouldn't blame somebody for deciding writing music in a text file is too taxing. But all the same I do like it when people give it a shot. All in all, both methods have their strengths and weaknesses. Both open up opportunities. MML is a niche thing mainly for chiptunes but does open doors for midi as well. Using live input like keyboards is almost exclusive to midi and does tend to sound more organic, and opf course if you use keyboards you have a lot of control over the organic nature, if you know how to edit with your sequencer and use things like quantize etc. Still, there is so much overlap between the two and I don't really subscribe to a viewpoint that holds that each method has its own specific purpose.

Now, back to a less geeky topic. I'll be the first to share music here! How about that! But since the thread has some stuff in it, I figured why not?

This is a chiptune remake for the Nes of the Super Liam level 1 music. I made this at the end of 2016. Here's the catch. A friend of mine also did his own chiptune cover while I was doing mine. After we were both done, we sent each other our covers, and we occasionally fight, in a friendly way of course, about whose is better. I've decided to upload both, so you can decide which you like better. They are simply called version 1 and version 2, so you don't know who made which. If you do know because I showed you this already, please don't spoil it for everyone else; I will eventually post a message here saying which is mine. Get it here! IN the zip you will find NsF files as well as mp3s for those  who can't play NSF music.

Here are some criticisms I have of both... yes I will criticize my own work here:
Version1 drums are a bit overkill for my taste, while you can barely notice them in 2.
Version 1 sounds more accurate but kinda has an overbearing quality if I can put it that way. 2 is easier on the ears but perhaps a bit boring and too floaty.

So, have at it. Fight over the first actual music submission of the thread! Lol

FYI I would be interested in making other versions of this song, mainly because it's challenging but simple. So if I post a bunch more versions for different chips, don't be too surprised. At present none are in the works but thinking about this made me want to go back and do stuff. Lol

2017-06-23 18:17:08

Yeah... maybe I just never spent enough time trying to figure out a particular MML system. I've just always been a fan of live input wherever possible, even though I'm not a keyboard player. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it, though. It's not really the fact that I think it would sound cheap or less real, simply a matter that writing things out by hand is indeed taxing compared to simply hammering out notes. But as has been said, everyone thinks differently. lol

2017-06-23 19:49:43

I definitely would encourage you to try live input first with a sequencer. There's more practical use for it really. No matter what I"m doing, sequencing, writing in a text file, I always use a keyboard to sketch with. And when I say keyboard, I use the term loosely; I often write without a real keyboard, using an on-screen one which some people might think of as a joke. But I've gotten really efficient with it. If all my keyboard were destroyed and all i had was a laptop, I wouldn't be unable to sequence. Besides, I'm such a perfectionist that the original performance I recorded hardly ever gets used because I edit it so much after it's been recorded. I know that not everyone will be doing that, but for me, just having something there to sketch with is infinitely better than not. Of course being good at your instrument is key, and if you aren't, then that is indeed discouraging.

2017-06-23 19:57:57

Oh, live input is already what I'm doing and will continue to do. I don't see myself using mml any time soon, just because of the fact that the DAW I use, like most, allows me to edit notes right there on the spot anyway. big_smile Really, my struggle is motivating myself to get a controller, relearn my basic piano fundamentals and have fun with it and a decent library o sounds which I have via kontakt 5.

2017-06-24 07:06:02

I know someone in this world did the super liam beta theme, and the pcs games theme. unfortunately they were only hoasted on an ftp server that is now dead.
I also did part of the q9 soundtrack, but it's incomplete, and without access to the game files, it may remain that way. plus, It's in nsf format, which not a whole lot of us can play (though there are a couple of people on here that can deal with it).

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2017-06-24 10:36:28 (edited by musicalman 2017-06-24 10:42:23)

Americandad:
Firstly feel free to share any exotic format your heart desires; I personally will be including mp3s with my stuff wherever possible but that is your decision really. If people can't play it, they can ask for assistance and someone will provide it I'm sure. All of the tools needed to play less well-known music formats are free and safe to my knowledge, provided of course you get them from a trustworthy source. Those which are not free or are ridiculously hard to find are likely either obsolete, or just not used often at all. IF you'd like to share a prototype or an unfinished product, go ahead. UP to you, but thought I'd suggest it.

Secondly, there are two ways to expose the music in Q9. You can do it in-game. The loops are short, the longest is like 20 seconds I think, so you can turn the music up. IIRC each level has a set number of enemies, so if you reach the portal and aren't fighting any more enemies, chances are you've encountered them all. Step away from the portal, turn the music up and record it so you can refer to it.

Alternatively you can listen to the music on Film Score Themes, since the Q9 music is just short loops from that collection. If you are interested I can put some timestamps together so you'll know which songs were used and roughly which sections of them were used in Q9. You can freely preview every song in Film Score Themes so you'll have access to the music, all-be-it with obnoxious preview watermarks, but it's the best free and legal option.