2017-06-23 05:00:30

Hello and I need someone that knows and has worked with the web building site wordpress. I'm rather lost and I need help to set up a basic free site, going for a paid plan later, help! Please message me if you have worked with this program and know how to use it well. I'm guessing I'm missing some jaws commands to get into some areas as well as I can't figure out where the area is to write the page post and not just the title/tag things. I think even my RL email is on here somewhere so feel free to contact me that way as well, but put something in the subject about wordpress help or audio forums so I know it isn't junk/spam.

Huge thanks to anyone that can help me out and that doesn't mind questions as until I figure this out, I might have a few.

2017-06-23 05:02:14

Oh, just for info, I'm running windows 7 pro with jaws 18 pro and have 2 sites, but if someone can get me through the basic set up of one, I can do the other.

2017-06-23 10:06:32

I've messaged you with some info, but here's some starting points. First things first, make sure you've got an accessible theme. You can still work with those that aren't, but I've found it to be a lot easier to work with a theme that fits what I want rather than editing one. WordPress has a pretty comprehensive list of accessible themes posted somewhere (a quick google search should find it), complete with really good descriptions of what it looks like and what features it has such as layouts of menus and sidebars. Just make sure you're looking at the themes for wordpress.com and not wordpress.org. Next, most of the usual stuff can be found at the bottom of your site if you're logged in. The first link in that menu is called "Customize", and there should be links below that to add posts and pages. Clicking on "Add" for any of those should bring up a blank one, and all the fields should be accessible if you have it set to the visual editor, which can be changed by two radio buttons near the top which change between visual and HTML views. I've not found the HTML editor to be accessible, but you can still write HTML into the visual editor field for the main body if you want which I've found to be faster if you're proficient enough with it instead of using the visual editor tools. And speaking of the visual editor tools, there's a button near the bottom of the available ones, just above the main body edit field, which should open up a list of keyboard shortcuts for some of the basic functions like adding headings and links. Adding pages is a little trickier, but you just need to get the hang of using the menu system to make sure the links to the pages are displayed in a menu if that's what you're going for. If you're adding it to a widget or linking to it from another page, using HTML code is you're best option in my experience. Finally, some of the bigger changes such as editing menus and widgets can be done with better accessibility from your site's dashboard, which can be found at your site's URL plus "/dashboard."

Los Angeles Based musician, blogger, and programmer.
https://artistibarra.com/