2017-06-23 00:09:13

Hello to all. I'm running windows 10 64 bit. I can't find where grizzly gulch saves the game data for your player.  I used to know. I checked user data directory and program files and program data on local drive. Thanks for any help you are able to give me.

2017-06-23 03:04:18

I'm trying to get my hands on a working copy. I have an ISO as well as a patch, but the ISO won't open if mounted or extracted, the setup file won't open, even if I set it to compatibility with windows XP. Dunno about the legal status, but I'm saying the heck with it since they've obviously not said a word about it one way or another, simply vanished, I don't see it as copyright infringement or anything like that if they quit giving users a way to purchase it.

At some point, you just kinda gotta say well, fuck it. The thing is, the game's what, 16 or 17 years old now? If they had a purchase option, I would buy it, but I don't feel guilty on trying to get my hands on a product where the company has just vanished, and there are no purchase options

I support companies that make games by buying / donating to them, but if they up and vanish, and there are copies still out there, what's the harm in procuring one.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-06-23 06:09:37

Two things.

For making sure that the Grizzly Gulch setup runs under Windows 10, make sure that you install .net Framework 2.0. Also, I set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98. that second suggestion is only that, I have no clue whether it makes a difference. However, I am very sure that you need .net Framework 2.0 before you can run the setup.

Secondly, on a 64 bit system, the saved game files should be under Program Files(X86)\Bavisoft\Grizzly Gulch. I'm not sure what's going on if they don't appear there.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-06-23 16:49:40

Ah ok, will give that a shot.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-06-23 20:34:44

the directory for player files on win 10 since it can't write to program files by default is C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bavisoft\Grizzly Gulch

2017-06-24 01:59:17

Hey patjk. That worked perfectly!!!! Thank you so much. Never would have thought to look there.

2017-06-24 04:09:58

the installer for the old .net won't open, crashes on compatibility even when I change the settings. I'll just run the game in a VM.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-06-24 13:51:36 (edited by Slender 2017-06-24 13:56:16)

I have a portable copy of Grizzly Gulch, which can be downloaded here. just run Grizzly Gulch.exe and it should work. Also, a quick note about the installer. If you get it to run, you might not want to uninstall it. In my experience, when I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall, the setup wouldn't run. For anyone wondering why the Grizzly Gulch save files are in virtual store, rather than program files, it's a concept in Windows called UAC virtualization. Basically, if a program like Grizzly Gulch tries to write to a protected location, such as c\program files or c\program files (x86), it is redirected to that virtual store folder, but it thinks it's writing to program files.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-06-25 01:50:34

Ah that worked, thanks.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-06-25 02:14:13

I see. Well, I learned something today. As someone who always turns off UAC on any system I use, I didn't realize that the files had been redirected elsewhere. I think that's a strange thing for Microsoft to want to do, but at least there's a way to work around it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-06-25 04:56:20

It's actually quite useful. For example, if you had multiple user accounts, in Grizzly Gulch's case, each account would have its own game save, rather than one save for the entire machine. I also found the logs the Kitchensinc games create in that folder.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-06-27 02:27:59

Ah. Well, there again, I usually don't share my systems with other users, so it does make sense from that standpoint.