2017-06-05 00:50:11

Hi all,

I'm interested in exploring VPN's.  Which ones would you recommend?  I'm running Windows 10 and MacOS Sierra, so any info on either or both is fine.

Thanks,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2017-06-05 01:52:08

There's a regular list of good VPN's up on torrentfreak [here] you can browse through.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-06-06 00:10:20

Personally, I'm a fan of Private Internet Access. I've been happily using it for just over a year now, and I believe it's mentioned in that Torrentfreak article that was linked above if I remember correctly. One great thing about it is that all of their dedicated apps are accessible, on Windows, IOS, and Android that I know of anyway. You could also just use Open VPN and plug in your credentials if you're more comfortable with that. But they are a solid company with a good reputation, who seem to be paying a lot more attention to accessibility concerns within the past few months.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-06-06 18:46:16

I've gotten 99% of people say PIA is the best, so I'm going to go for that.  I was considering using OpenVPN on my Linux server, but I simply don't have the bandwith to make it useable.

I tried going onto PIA's site to sign up, but I can't seem to make it work.  All the sign up links show up as just text and I can't seem to find a way around it.  Suggestions?

Luke

2017-06-06 23:36:03

Yeah I agree, PIA lets you use 5 devices at once, usually it's 2, and it's extremely cheap for what you get.  Also they remove a server when the country it's located in stops protecting data to a high level, and they don't collect any time of usage or site traffic info for your account either.

2017-06-20 15:04:24

Could someone explain to me the pros and cons of having a VPN versus using your main ISP's internet connection, like a MIFi card or something?
Also, are virtual private servers different from virtual private networks? And if so, what are the key differences?? Also, can you have a physical server in your house? I know that businesses, like schools, have server rooms, but I doubt they would fit inside someone's house, so I don't know how people these days host games, like Survive the Wild, etc. I've always been curious about how people make servers.
So my question is mainly about servers, which may require a separate thread. But if you wouldn't mind answering this here, why do blind people prefer Linux or Unix servers instead of Windows or Mac servers?
I tried getting information from google, but it's not the same as someone actually describing how IT works in person, with actual examples and things you can manipulate to get an idea of how they work. It's like, you throw someone a book and tell them to read it through and use it to figure it out, rather than show the person what something means by giving them further explanations and examples to help them understand more complicated topics.
By the way, I should be getting a more stable internet connection with Frontier, Exceed, ETC. They have internet speeds that go up to 25 MBPS I think, which could make STW and RS pings go down to 50 MS or so.
I tried hosting a TeamTalk server, but the Teamtalk IP address helper said I didn't have a usable public IP address, and someone had told me that MiFi cards don't have very good routers to forward ports.
Any further explanations about VPN's and VPS's would be greatly appreciated! It's been something I've pondered for quite a while, and I would like to draw a clearer picture of how both work

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-06-24 05:22:50

@Green Gables Fan,

A VPN (virtual private network) is just a network you connect to for sake of privacy.  You cannot be tracked by your ISP or any agency in terms of where on the net you go, or anything related to your behavior online.

A VPS (virtual private server) is just a remote server you can operate to do things you can't otherwise do on your home computer, usually for hardware limitations and stable broadband reasons.  Linux is unrestrictive and offers many updates, while Windows Server is (from what I understand) full of security holes and not nearly as popular.  That's just from what I know.  There are plenty of other reasons.  I host a VPS to do basic things like host an Apache2 web server and a TeamTalk server.

HTH

Luke

2017-06-24 08:10:52 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-06-24 08:17:30)

I appreciate your explanation. It is well-written, down-to-earth, clear and concise.
Now, How do I go about getting a VPN? I heard that the iPhone has a VPN configuration under settings, general, VPN, etc. But someone else told me that there are VPN apps you can get. Are VPN's free?  How would you connect to them on a Windows machine?
I checked out Linode, which has some servers that I am interested in checking out.
EDIT: I followed Turtlepower17's advice and went to PrivateInternetAccess.com, but I'll have to pay $6 a month.
Any further explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-06-24 09:42:29

hi,
Apparently, a vpn also allows you to get around the limitations of carrier grade nat, if your ISP is using it.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-06-24 13:38:12 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-06-25 09:50:13)

Hello, everyone.
I was finally able to set up the VPN after having deleted the old connection and setting up another one.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-06-25 18:43:25

I personally have Linode and am very happy with it.  The web interface is accessible and easy to use.

Luke

2017-06-25 19:46:27

I hope to get started with Linode next month. Someone on another thread told me about something called Raspberry Pie, and that it can be used to run a server on it. If Linode is used to match you up to someone who already has a Raspberry Pie, then what is it exactly? All I know is that it's Linux, but I don't know if it is a physical computer you can buy on Amazon or at a computer store, or something you can download.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-06-26 02:35:48

The Raspberry Pi is a small computer that runs Linux OS for development.  It can be used to do whatever you wish, such as hosting a small-scale server, but it's to help people get into development.  It is accessible to use, but you need peripherals and to ensure that those peripherals can be powered by the battery.  It is something you plug in to an outlet.  You can buy them on Amazon for fairly cheap.  Some even are resold with other items as a part of a starter's kit.  You'd then need to go onto the foundation's website to download an image to deploy.  This will be done using an SD card.  I believe it is a micro-SD card.

Luke

2017-06-26 04:05:14 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-06-26 04:10:54)

So in other words, I won't actually need to get a Raspberry Pie if I can use Linode, since I am paying someone, somewhere, to do it for me?
Also, what is the foundation's web site, and what do you mean that it's accessible as long as the peripherals have batteries?
They also mentioned something called Mono and ASP .net or something. But if you have an executable server for say, TeamTalk, how would you use that .exe file on Linux?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-06-27 03:54:47

Hi,

If you are concerned with hosting a server, Linode is more up your alley.  The Pi, like I said, is for more creation and development than it is for consumption, though at the end of the day what you do with your Pi is ultimately your choice.  When you say

2017-06-27 04:25:02

When you say what?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-06-27 05:47:39

So my Mac decided to not input the rest of that post. Let me rewrite the whole thing.

Hi,

If you are concerned with hosting a server, Linode is more up your alley.  The Pi, like I said, is for more creation and development than it is for consumption, though at the end of the day what you do with your Pi is ultimately your choice.  When you say "somebody" doing it for you with Linode, it just means that Linode hosts the server (physical machine), not things like the TeamTalk server, which is just software that allows users to connect and transmit data.

The foundation's website can be found through a simple Google search.

In order to run TeamTalk on Linux, you can download and install the Debian7 version, which doesn't really install anything in the way Windows does, because you move the files yourself, but it's very simple to do.  You do need a background in command line syntax.  But you do not need to download the .exe file.  There is a version specific to Linux.

Let me know if any of this isn't clicking.

Luke

2017-06-27 09:59:27

Hello Luke,
You mentioned the foundation's web site. What foundation? If I were to Google the foundation web site I'd get a ton of results.
If you want to help me out in private feel free to Skype me.
Thanks!

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-27 11:55:02

Well, VPN is a must now a days for online security and privacy, another major use would be for bypass regional restrictions & Streaming, all of it requires a VPN with fast server without compromising on security/encryption which usually make most of the secure VPNs slow. There so many VPNs out there in the market to choose from but I would prefer a Fast VPN for all my streaming needs.

2017-07-27 13:13:56

my cousin uses a free program called ultra surf, but he is sighted and I have no idea if its accessible.