2010-01-12 20:57:10

hi all....

this topic is about all kinds of sports that blinds and visually impaired people can play, and the sports that you like. and the sports which you play or have played. i personally played goall ball tor ball and i realy love them. now i practice swimming. and i realy enjoy this sport. so... tell us all about sports you like.....

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2010-01-13 12:02:03

I really! enjoy playing goalball! although I'm not thhe best at it, but it can be amuzing sometimes.
I lied down to block a shot and I ghot hit straight in the nose. that hurt but we had a good laugh.
I even actually ben on a real bowling alley (twice actually) and I played bowling. well, I did score a few hits.
our school also forces everyone to go to swimming and truth to tell I'm not exactly enjoying it. or the aftereffects. I come home tired like heck!

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-01-13 13:27:46

unfortunately
VI sports is basicly unknown around here
wich is bloody awful as i love sport!
things started to look up as i was applying to go to NCW or RNCB
but unfortuantely i wasn't aloud on health issues wich is also bloody awful!
smile

2010-01-13 16:34:57

what is torball?
yes i playd showdown, as competitions and so, i playd goallbal, then i started to swim.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-01-13 17:22:29 (edited by mastodont 2010-01-13 17:26:21)

tor ball is an other  version  of goal ball but with an easy ball. i realy realy enjoy swimming. now i do professional swimming. i go 2 times in a day to swimming pool. and i am coming so tired home... but this is the only disadvantage... i realy love it.... here in romania is now 17.20 and i just arived from swimming... i need to wake up in the morning to 5 o klock cause from 6 to 7 i go to swim. then from 8 to 2 or 3 pm i am to school. next i go again to swimming pool. i realy love this program... but is also so tiring....

Stephen King

2010-01-13 20:59:51

Bowling can indeed be fun if you go with the right people who help explain where the left pins are. It also helps if the bowling alley has nice wide lanes, some have fairly narrow ones and they're a nightmare for me. I kept knocking the bumper off the lane by landing the ball on it at one place.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-01-14 00:24:50

I've played bits of goalball in the past, ---- and occasionally been bolling with my family, but I'm not really into the actual competative side of sports.

my brother was a big player in the braille chess association for a while, ---- and I played in some of their tournaments for fun, ---- but generally I just don't have the interest in competing to take any such thing that far.

I enjoy swimming, and used to go a lot myself before the local pool closed, ---- though more for the sake of keeping fit and having a good swim than any sort o sporting aspect, ---- though at one time I did do various bits of scuba training.

I've done a fair few other things sport wise, tandom cycling (on the back), Canooing, white water rafting, waterskeeing, down hill skeeing (though i was less keen on that), rock climbing, --- wich is great! and cross country skeeing which I went on holiday to do some more of last year, ----- hard work but great fun!

Generally I enjoy the more travel orientated stuff, which involves getting out and practically doing something than physically trying to beat someone else.

While their are indeed lots of moderately unplayable sports, there are some rather fun other things if done properly. ---- down hill skeeing for instance in done by wearing helmets which have coms in and having someone skee behind you as you hold a bar, ---- cross country skeeing is all in skee tracks anyway so there's no trouble about where your going.

Rock climbing simply requires a good sense of touch with the odd word about hand holds if you get stuck, ----- though generally that goes for anyone irrispective of site.

As you might gather, ---- I'll pretty much try most things.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-01-14 00:53:30

Well if you go with the right people bowling isn't necessarily too competitive. It is fun if you go with a light hearted sense of enjoyment in mind rather than winning. Of course this is very much personal preference. Some people would make anything competitive.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-01-14 11:41:52

True, like a lot of things it depends upon how seriously you take it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-01-14 16:59:30

how is working this braile chess? what is it?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-01-14 17:47:17

i think that dark reffers  to a modiffied chess table which blinds can  use... on that table the pieces are inserted in some small holes and the blacks  one have a small point on top of them...

i also am a big player of chess... i play for about seven years when i was small. and i realy enjoy it.i participated to some competitions... but only some... just for fun.....

Stephen King

2010-01-14 23:36:23

i used to represent north wales disabled swimming team, but because of the lac of compititions and the ones that were happening were 100 + miles away i gave it up!

2010-01-15 18:18:37

Braille chess is simply the name of the Vi chess organization.

It's the standard game, but obviously using tactile boards, ---- and with some concessions such as extra time on the clock, and having each player have a separate board and announce his/her moves, ---- rather than playing on a single board.

Other than that, all chess rules apply as normal.

2010-01-16 15:45:08

its strange. two boards? well. its hmmm, not good i think, you can lye no? you can do only your moves, on single board. hmmm, strange. we play on single. board.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-01-16 22:48:23

How would lieing help since the other person would realise when you say actually your piece isn't where it should be?

cx2
-----

2010-01-17 11:35:04

Bare in mind those are the rules for very serious tournament play, and the referee will notice any differences betwene your board and your opponents, and go back through the logue of the moves in the game to see exactly where the pieces should be.

The reason for playing on two boards is so that one Vi player can put their hands over all the pieces without constantly having to ask their opponent to shift his/her hands off the board.

That's fine for a friendly game, but not when your in a tournament with limited time.

There will certainly be a similar organization wherever you are Buclee, ---- on one occasion i played in the world under 25's championships which had people from all over europe as well as south Africa, India and Brazil, all sent by their associations.

I came 20th out of 60 people, ---- which (sinse I'm not all that serious a chess player), I was quite happy with.

My brother however was severely irritated, sinse at the time he was very taken up with university work and couldn't go, and the person who wonne the hole thing was a player from belgium who my brother had beaten in a previous tournament.