2017-06-11 11:46:25

Hello,
as you know I want to learn c#. I have finally installed Windows, now I am thinking about installing VS 17 community, but from what I have heart this app is very large. Won't it be too advvanced for a beginner like me? I mean, won't there be any features that I won't be using in the near future?
Regards,
N

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-06-11 16:58:46

Hi,

it is indeed, since it doesn't just support C# but also alot other languages like pure C or C++ which you aren't going to use very soon. But you'll have to ask another question: are there other IDEs which are more accessible than VS and contain the same features, all without paying anything for it? I believe not. There are IDEs like Eclipse, but honestly, you can dump Eclipse into the trash, at least for it's C-like implementations. The java features are okay, but the C plugins and extensions lack functionality and intend to fail alot. That's why I would just recommend installing VS 2017 community and try it out.

Best Regards.
Hijacker

2017-06-11 19:06:39

And about the min gw?

2017-06-11 21:43:31 (edited by Hijacker 2017-06-11 21:46:05)

mingw isn't an ide, it is a compiler which implements the linux c-compiler gcc under windows. This has nothing to do with Visual Studio at all. At least Microsoft uses it's own MSVC compiler when using Visual Studio, so you don't even need MinGW there. The only reasons why you'd want to use MinGW are, because you're fancy and want to try something new, or you're using Eclipse or some third-party IDE which uses MinGW under the hood, but all in all MinGW has nothing to do with IDE accessibility in any case. MinGW just implements a command-line interface itself by the way, same as all other compilers do, so they count into the group of most accessible programs under Windows, Linux and Mac OS X ever, but as a beginner you aren't searching for a compiler with some fancy CMD arguments, you're searching a cool IDE which does as many jobs for you as possible without you worrying about the details as much as possible.

2017-06-12 02:24:46

yeah, use vs, otherwise you're gonna have to put all those using statements in each time, dfine the namespace, and the class, lol, it do so much for ya.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-06-12 10:49:19

I have done something stupid I think. I have installed VS17 community, but under the new project Window I don't have C# option

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-06-12 11:22:59

The C# extension is optional to VS 2017 community, at least this website states this.

C# language support is an optional install from the Marketplace. You can install it from within VS Code by searching for 'C#' in the Extensions: Install Extension dropdown (Ctrl+Shift+P and type ext install) or if you already have a project with C# files, VS Code will prompt you to install the extension as soon as you open a C# file.

Give it a try.

2017-06-14 03:35:15

I had it, it should show up at visual C#

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united