2010-01-08 23:55:10

Hi!
A few days ago I got my old harddrive into an external harddrive. Connecting and starting worked fine untill I wanted to open the most important folder. Now the wierd thing comes. It says that access is denied and I guess that I have been stupid enough to leave a password on the thing. Now the problem is that there is nowhere to type in the password. Here the strange question. Is there any way to open the folders without any complications with the actual hardware?
(Well, I think I've seen worse.)

I live to crochet!

2010-01-09 01:58:55

I have actually heard there's a general windows xp bug when swapping out harddrives. At one point after backing up on my own external drive, my old pc got convinced that the favourites folder only existed on my external drive, ---- and I had to go through a fair amount of copying and rerooting shinanigans to fix it.

If you have a laptop or similar second machine, perhaps you could plug your external drive into that, copy the contents of your folder into another one and see if you could access that.

Generally, i've found "access is denied" can mean a lot of things, ---- including hardware error. my current pc tells me "access is denied" to my floppy disk drive, ---- when in fact there isn't! a floppy disk drive at all!

Well, I suppose it's lack of existance is denying me access, ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-01-09 03:11:48

Also if you set the folder to be private or whatever the term is this might have resulted in the file system's permissions denying you access, if it thinks you're a different user.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.