2017-04-06 21:47:56

Hello all,
I tryed to enter the world of interactive fiction but got lost every time in the ifarchive for example. I already know the choice of games tittles but I search only IF wich is playable ofline and under windows or Linux. I am interested only in english and german language games since I know only these two languages.
Is there a way to find games wich fit these needs?
It can be old games and even modern ones but they have to be playable offline and should be in english or german and for windows or linux would be okay as well.
And another question: Are there games wich are comparable with normal mainstream games playtime wise? I mean, some normal games are very long, 50 or 80 hours and such. I heared that there are some IF titles with much content.
Informations regarding the above needs is highly appreciated. Maybe i can enter this game world this way better.

2017-04-07 00:18:49

Hi Niclas.

Most interactive fiction games which are called interactive fiction don't tend to work like the choiceofgames titles.They work by you typing commands.

You walk around usually by typing  and then do things like examine object, open box etc.

usually you play them by loading the file in an interpreter. For example if it is a zcode game and the game's file has a z5 or z8 extention you need something like winfrotz or filfre to play, if it is a glks file you need something like winglulks etc.

As to where to find games, going to places like the interactive fiction wiki help. The if archive is just a huge file reposatory, but there are plenty of places which provide better info. There used to be a great site called baff's guide to the interactive fiction archive which provided pages for all the games,s olutions, information on interpreters etc.

For where to start I would recommend Andrew plotkin's game dream hold which you can play with winfrotz or filfre (I even heard there is an Ios version), since that game both serves as an introduction to if generally unlike a lot of other introductions isn't super simplistic or boring to play, indeed it's a wonderfully surreal  where you play a wizard with no memory wandering around his castle trying to find various objects to discover what happened to him and peace together his last spell.

I will confess that personally I got to a point where i found if games more trouble than they were worth, since for every good game I found, i found four or five others where I just got utterly stuck, usually because I was trying to do something simple like put cup on table and getting messages like "I don't know how to put" however admitedly I've not played if games for a considerable time and there might be a lot of newer things out now.

Hth.

Sorry I can't be a little more specific, as I said, I've not played standard if of that sort for a good while, hopefully someone else has more recent information.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-07 07:54:28

dark, thank you for your help first. From what I heared, the community is still active and there are even regular competitions, so there has to be something going on nowerdays. I'll try your recommendation. I heared from worldsmith and such, wich I think are more modern if. Bit like I said i am open for anything wich doesn't Need Internet and runs under Windows or Linux. HTML based tittles wich are downloadable included of course as Long as they're accessible. BTW, are there any games in this genre wich are unaccessible or do they all work?

2017-04-07 08:10:17

Hi.
I don't have much experience which those yet, but they do all work as long as your interpreter is accessible.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-04-07 09:05:00

that's great to know. Like i said, I am interested in all Genres, even Action paket games if there are such. Or games with role playing elements, like fighting and the like.

2017-04-07 09:10:16

Greetings all.

You can download and play the choice of games and hosted games titles offline. All you need to do is have an icloud account and itunes if you want to buy or download the IOS versions directly from the appstore. If not, you'll want an IOS device like an iphone or ipad. In either case, once you buy the games on your IOS device or directly from itunes, open itunes if it isn't already running. Once download is complete, look for the games in C:\users\username\music\itunes\itunes media\mobile applications and look for say the eagle's heir.ipa; username in this case means whatever your user folder is; for example mine is Amin. Cut and paste the game into a folder where you can find it more easily and rename the .ipa extension to .zip. Next, download choice script if you haven't got it already and copy the choice script folder into itself then rename the copy to the eagle's heir. Remember the zipped version of the game? don't use any program other than windows explorer to open the zip folder because you only want to copy files from the eagle's heir\payload\choice script\web\mygame\scenes. Select all and copy. Go out of the zip folder and back into the copy you created. Go to the eagle's heir\web\mygame\scenes and paste. Now you can play the game offline. As a side note, you can now mess about with the game as you see fit. I always replace *page_break with *line_break and I always delete the % so I'm not restricted to percentile values. I've done this with all choice script games. Also, the reason why I haven't gotten into dashingdon is because I don't know how to download their games. I want an offline copy encase the internet ever gets cut off.

Kind regards, Amin Abdullah.

2017-04-07 13:52:02

ah thanks, it's good to know that, I even don't knew before that this is possible.

2017-04-07 14:33:03

@niclas, the games I mentioned are not html, they are if text files as I said where you type in commands, though they are all playable offline if you have the right interpreter as slj said.

Sadly your choices in roleplaying terms are fairly limited, the last I checked the only if games with rpg like mechanics were kerkerkruip, wumpus 2000, mageocracy and treasures of a slavers kingdom.
Some of these even have db pages so feel free to have a look.

As I said most traditional if is not like the choiceofgames/hosted games titles, you don't have links to progress the story, you type in commands which makes them play rather differently, that is why in the they are referd to as gamebooks.

If your looking for something more  similar to the cog/hg games, your best off getting a mobile device that is ios or android and looking into either the delight games, time crest or the 3ad games such as lifeline and it's sequels.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-07 14:34:45

Baws guide is down several years now. Try IFDB ( The Interactive Fiction Database) as a replace. Just search it on Google. When you have an Interpreter to Play interactive fiction, There you find all the games together with suggestions, Reviews, Ratings, hints and so on. It's so much easier to use than the if-archive.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2017-04-07 14:54:45

Okay, i'll try this as well. @dark, I have a mobile device but am searching specifically text games for the PC. It's important to me that I can't Play them only on mobile devices, since I am using the PC more often. That is why I asked for such things.

2017-04-07 15:36:12

maybe I should say this: The mobile devices have brought me to if. I don't rely on traditional IF, it just has to be for the PC and offline playable text games. I liked the games on mobile devices so that I said i want to play text games on the PC as well, since the PC is my primary platform, not only for gaming but for gaming as well as for other stuff and i like the PC more. That's the point of my interest and question.

2017-04-07 17:06:25

The best balance between interactive fiction and CoG games I can think of is twine based stuff. Unfortunately, whether or not those are accessible depends on how the writer decided to set everything up -- some do navigation through links (accessible, see a time of tungsten for an amazing example) some do it with highlighted text (not accessible, see 500 apocalypses if you want to be depressed because such an awesome sounding thing is so annoying/probably impossible to use). Generally, if they're made using a thing called Sugar Cube, they're accessible.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-04-07 17:31:46

Hi Niclas.

Well text games generally on the pc there are a lot to choose from.

As Targor said try the interactive fiction database for the traditional zcode type of if I was talking about (again Dreamhold is a good intro).

However if your just looking for games with text there are lots of options.

There are the gamebook sites like ffproject and project arborell  see the db), there arethen browser games, and while some are just pure grindy some have great stories and mechanics such as puppet nightmares, sryth, monster breeder drakor etc.

There are then muds many of which are heavy on story as well as the combat or the crafting.

So lots of choices for the pc, indeed I'll say myself that a large part of the gaming I do is text based.

2017-04-07 19:09:28

yes, I am searching for text games in general, but even in this case, they should be offline useable. I don't like muds and such. But i think the if DB is a good choice, since it is actual and even today there are new games being released, i mean no nowadays, not specifically today. And i even found HTML based ones and other stuff wich looks interesting.

2017-04-08 13:38:01

another thing popped into my mind. What is going on with eamon deluxe in this regard? Version 5 semed to be the last version of it. But are there still new games being developed by the community? And are all the classics now converted to play them in eamon deluxe? This gaming system sounds very interesting as well. How do you think about it? Is it worth trying out?

2017-04-08 13:45:49

Well with regards to eamon deluxe, there have been several subversions since the main version 5, each coming with more games included, eg, realm of fantasy, some of the nathan seagerlind adventures etc.
Unfortunately while things were going very well a few years ago, Frank Black slightly dropped off the map again and we're not sure where he is. I did get an email last year from him saying that he was around (he and I were in correspondance for a while), but I'm not sure what happened since though I replied he never got back to me.

it's a shame since with the talking dosbox versions we have now, we could potentially have a cross platform version of Eamon deluxe which would rock.

As it stands you'll need either windows xp or some dos emulation to play what there is, though what there is is pretty good.

Also for text games don't forget warsim and the wastes both of which you can learn about in the db, and as I said if your looking for text rpgs try kerkerkruip and wumpus 2000, even world of legends is worth a go though the writing is a bit hapharzard.

2017-04-22 06:39:43 (edited by bashue 2017-04-22 06:50:13)

Greetings all!

I've just found a way to play the dashingdon games offline; only found out a few minutes ago at 04:50 GMT, finished building it at 05:03 and now I'm writing this at 05:06 GMT. This process is slightly easier as you only have to copy the choice script folder and rename it to the name of the game you're playing then cutting and pasting back to the main directory as normal. After that you manually build the game by copying the game's separate files; I'll give an example below.

Firstly, copy the choice script folder and rename it to keeper of the son and moon before pasting it back to the main games directory; for this I made an Iphone folder but the choice is up to you. I also have a few example files in my web/mygame/scenes like startup.txt to make it easier. You can create one from scratch or just copy a startup.txt from another game.

Secondly, in your web browser, to build keeper of the son and moon, copy https://dashingdon.com/play/daydreamsin … on/mygame/ into the address bar and type scenes/startup.txt so it looks like https://dashingdon.com/play/daydreamsin … tartup.txt with no other punctuation. Most often you won't need another / but if you get an error, putting a / will solve the error.

Secondly, go back to your existing startup.txt and copy and paste the startup.txt displayed in the browser to your existing file.

Third, did you check out the info in startup.txt? Be sure to repeat the above steps for chapters 1 through 5. For chapter 1 the url you want is https://dashingdon.com/play/daydreamsin … apter1.txt and for chapters 2, 3, 4 and 5, just change the number for the corresponding file. What I did to create chapters 1 through 5 was after copying the info from chapter 1, I pasted it in startup.txt and saved as chapter1.txt; I did it for chapters 1 through 5.

The final step is to create a choice script stats file. Go to https://dashingdon.com/play/daydreamsin … _stats.txt and copy the info. Paste it into an existing file and save it as choicescript_stats.txt and you're almost good to go.

In these games, you'll encounter some errors like non existing commands. If you don't mind correcting them like I'm about to do then you'll have a nice game to play offline. As of this posting, I only found 1 error and I changed it to goto_scene chapter1 and the error was corrected. If anyone wants help, with any future choice script games, let me know and I'll post additional instructions to aid you in correcting any errors you may encounter.

2017-04-22 12:24:18

wow, thank you for this. Good to know that even that works. BTW: I downloaded the entries of passt IF competitions. But there are games written in adrifft, Hugo, Alan, Hugo, act, floyt and such. Are there interpreters for such formats wich are accessible to us, so we can play even these games? Lots of formats or authoring systems I don't know.

2017-04-22 13:36:15

I would stay with zcode, glulx and Tads games. The other formats really haven't much to offer. I use the Filfre Interpreter for zcode and glulx and html tads for Tads games ( *.gam ).

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2017-04-22 14:06:02

What do you mean with the others haven't much to offer? Are they inaccessible or not? Because if they can be accessed and used, i'd like to try them as well.

2017-04-22 14:40:25

Hugo is known for the multimedia works made with it and it's very difficult to use the Hugo Interpreter. For most formats you can find Interpreters that work but then you would had an Interpreter for, say, five games or so which aren't as bad as the others. It's a fact that really all well-known and good games but five or so are written in one of the above formats and maybe a few more in Hugo.

2017-04-22 17:16:30

Greetings all.

I've just found an easier way to build the dashingdon games. Remember the messing about with all those urls? Now you don't have to do even that. Take the demon lord for example; just go to https://dashingdon.com/play/edfox/the-d … ame/scenes and you'll get an index of web/mygame/scenes. Now all you do is have an existing startup.txt, go to the startup.txt in the table, open in a new window, copy, close and paste and save. For each chapter, you do the same but go to save as and save chapter 1 as chapter_1.txt and you're good to go. It works on all dashingdon games. Alternatively you can save directly into web/mygame/scenes and not have to go into notepad at all. Just save target on each file and you're good to go. You still have to copy the choice script, rename it to the name of the game you're playing and paste it back into the main directory however.

2017-06-09 09:26:25

@bashue, thank you for These tipps. I send you an email regarding the dashingdon games. Would be cool if you could contact me about this if you recieved the Mail.