2017-06-05 22:04:08 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-06 02:09:05)

Of course, nothing on this forum. I don't think we're even known by the usability community.

Anyways, I've been trying to branch out and gain more support and drumming for my game and I've kind of noticed a few worrying trends in these communities:

1. They seem more interested in forcing developers to follow standards rather than actually achieving those standards. I think this is the wrong approach. As more and more developers are able to jump on board with development, the ability to actually educate these people on proper accessibility standards is reduced. Combined with point #3 I think this is a recipe for wasted resources.

2. The movement seems pretty damn broiled in left-wing politics, which not only I think alienates many people who would benefit from accessibility, but is completely unnecessary to most issues regarding accessibility. Most accessibility issues, in my opinion, should be treated as technical issues, because oftentimes there's very little that politics can do to help the problem. in the case of the ADA for example, it unintentionally caused other problems, such as the wheelchair/blind competition problem, so politics is at best a risky choice that should only be implemented if it's likely the laws will improve the situation, such as ramp building codes.

3. Moral parading seems to be a major issue as well. More people seem interested in denouncing developers who can't implement accessibility and limit their assistance of these developers to special talks. Furthermore, often embarrassing suggestions such as this are presented by actual professionals. By the way, "Always On" is a terrible idea because it pushes away non-disabled users. A better solution would just be an accessibility toggle.

4. Way too much focus on "inclusivity". While I personally feel that disabled people should be included, just going around spamming about how much better you are than others because you're "inclusive" comes off as arrogant and makes you look like you look down at other developers, who are already often overworked. The issue is more objectively rooted in a social utility problem - disabled people are seen as "useless" and accessibility helps make them "useful". It's a lot harsher and a lot less appealing to morals, but it gives a proper solution to actually help in the problem outside of pointing fingers at "bad people". Furthermore, the inclusive label to outsiders is very reminiscent of the 90's fad of having disabled people appear in cartoons as an obligation for the network, implying that disabled people are "the third wheel", and I think that this "accessibility stench" shows.

5. Lots of focus on word policing. Listen, I know I have a harsh mouth and I know it's a cruel thing to call someone who's mentally handicapped a "retard", but going and telling people that certain words shouldn't be used is, for lack of better words. FUCKING RETARDED. It doesn't actually achieve anything, and people will still be nasty either way, so you're not even teaching disabled people how to deal with these problems. This "unconscious verbage" shit seems like an excuse to ignore doing more tangible work.

Furthermore, I'm really tired of hearing the complaining over the use of the word "disabled". Disability literally means inability to do something. I know it's not a fun word but it's literally what is happening in the situation of the blind - blind people are "software disabled" in many cases. Accessibility's goal should be to bypass the disability with technology, effectively REMOVING the difference, and therefore the disability is no longer a "disability" in that sense.

6. The community as a whole only seems interested in implementing standards, rather than reworking them for modern computing.

In my opinion, the correct approach to modern accessibility is to produce more relevant modern standards, and actually provide toolkits that other developers can easily use to implement accessibility seamlessly. The problem with spotty accessibility is clearly due to difficult to learn/implement standards that are often not relevant for modern day programs and web apps. Some areas are better than others, but I think this is a far more reasonable and workable explanation for these problems than "PEOPLE JUST DUN WANT ICKY DISABLED PEOPLE". Jesus h Christ.

While some devs do provide tools like this (there is actually an asset on Unity that allows you to implement screenreader support for mobile games!) it's pretty minimal and most development seems restricted to a single independent project. Furthermore, I think some more advanced changes to current accessibility models should be implemented (such as encouraging a branching tree model instead of focus order, which is linear). Politics should be avoided at all costs since disabled people represent a wide variety of political beliefs.

I should note that it's not like the whole community is like this, but these problems seem to be very prevalent.

I mean, it's not just me being an insensitive prick is it? I know I'm not perfect but what the hell. Did I just miss some memo or something? I genuinely feel extremely concerned that my game's success and the implementation of new, more useful standards might be affected by these honestly backwards-seeming practices. It's like we need a paradigm shift or something.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-06-05 22:53:06

If I could give this post two thumbs up, I would.
More troublesome is that it's the loud ones who get noticed. I do not know how to fix this but it is concerning.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-05 22:55:17 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-05 22:55:48)

I think the only fix is to demonstrate a more effective method, hands down. These people are embarrassing, and I can't believe they represent such prominent positions. I feel like I would be roasted if I tried to explain what's so very wrong with this rhetoric. But I think it's the reason why accessibility has been so stagnant.

So much damn nipple twisting I swear to god

2017-06-06 01:18:36

Preach, truly. I see this in a greater extent as well, as far as general philosophies on blindness and disabilities are concerned. When folks are more concerned with details such as the

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2017-06-06 05:42:59

In an ideal world, we shouldn't have to pass laws that try to mandate including every one regardless of their race, religion, ethnicity, or ability. It would just be automatic that everyone is thought of when designing products, services, and access to public places.

Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world. So I try to recognize the things I can change, the things I can't, and most importantly, to know the difference between the two.

2017-06-06 06:01:54

Daigonite wrote:

Furthermore, I'm really tired of hearing the complaining over the use of the word "disabled". Disability literally means inability to do something. I know it's not a fun word but it's literally what is happening in the situation

I have written a phd thesis on basically that subject that I am still trying to get approved but there you go.
the essential problem is that the way disability is talked about now is dominated by the social model of disability..
this says basically  @disability@ itself is a neutral state and it's @society@ that makes people disabled, eg, the argument is that if everyone used sign language deaf people would not be disabled. The fact that disabled people actually have problems is thought in this model to be akin to sexism or racism.

This basically tends to unfortunately fall into a debate about equality with various @disability@ related  wanting to push the specific agenda for whatever branch of disability to personally have or like or consider to be @really disabled@ and pushing the government into trying implement whatever accessibility measures they consider @equal@

the problem of course is that by not admitting that the disability itself! is a problem, and claiming @accessibility@ is a right, you actually end up obscuring the fact that if a disabled person weren't bloody disabled in the first place nothing would need to be changed!
Thus you have a situation where for example an airline will proudly say @Yes! we support disabled passengers@ and then turn up with a custom wheel chair for a blind person (this actually happened to me).

By focusing on satisfying the agenda of group x or group y or group z rather than  actually making something @accessible@ means in the first place, the measures involved really don't do much but tick boxes.

I will put in a word for the left/right wing distinction, since talking in commercial terms there is a severe problem with any accessibility measures.

The problem is simply that there isn't generally enough money inherent in implementing any accessibility measure on a purely   economic basis.

Any disability is by it's definition abnormal, therefore any access measure involves expending extra resources to satisfy a smaller group of people. For a company only motivated by prophet, this is absolutely a no no.

Accessibility is a moral, not an economic imperative, which is one reason why it tends to be used by people, ---- either justifyably or not, to take the moral high ground since whichever way you cut it,  and resources have been expended upon a group of people, ie disabled people who cannot justify that effort with enough gain.

this is why generally accessibility is tied to left wing thinking and matters of equality, and also why governments tend to be involved, since if we go ultimately to the complete right wing free market end of things where everything! is governed by prophet, we wind up with the industrial revolution where disabled people were reduced to the status of beggars.

of course, there are! moral and experiencial justifications for accessibility, particularly if we understand @disability@ as a more universal state, eg, a person who has trouble following a film's plot might benefit from audio description and it tends to be these concerns that I voice to developers.
Again though, it's how you do it, since there is a big difference between @It is your moral duty to provide accessibility!@, and @Well it'd be great if you could please implement this that and the other so blind people could play your game!@ big_smile.

I will say that were the world a little better organized it would be nice to have some governmental backing for access discussion, though even this I still argue should be personal rather than on a tickbox system of rules.

Sadly the world isn't quite organized that way thus far, so it's left down to individuals to do the leg work and try to find vaguely receptive people, --- something which unfortunately does! become more difficult as things become increasingly centralized and ruled over by huge impersonal corporate monsters, ---- excuse me my Marxism is showing big_smile.

In the end it seems like pretty much anything, else, okay if you can deal with a human and think creatively, bad if you get around to flag waving or strictly following the rules.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-06 08:20:12

@1: Agreed.

Exacly. There's also certain groups of people in genres that absolutely kick and scream their genre of game must not, ever, be accessible because the real activity is not accessible,,,,which is asinine in many, many ways.

That being said, and I'm not aiming at anyone here but I do feel there's absolutely a section of disabled people who think the world owes them everything and act entitled andmilitant, for want of a better word.  whenever they perceive something isn't 'accessible' be it a real or imagined issue. If anything they are hurting legitimate concerns honestly.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-06-06 14:31:12

...you mad, Daigonite? ^_^

I agree with a whole lot of what you're saying. Though I do think that there's a lot of complexity that your post doesn't address (and probably isn't meant to). The point about the language of disability is a really great one. I read a blog the other day that used an old quote calling disabled people "incapacitated" and the blogger said, "I have a real issue with the word 'incapacitated' but other than that..." And I was like, "Why? It's literally the same thing as disabled. In / dis = "not", "capacity / ability" = capability of doing something. I do not have the ability to see. I have a visual disability/incapacity."

But anyway, I really don't have anything helpful to contribute. I think the idea of framing access as a social utility issue and not a moral issue is an interesting angle—it's not one I'd thought about before. I daresay it's a bit colored by your overall worldview, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I fluctuate between optimistic and jaded on this whole issue, so I really don't have much of use to offer—because it would depend on how I'm feeling at the moment.

I will say that there is a minority population of the disabled community which is, unfortunately, the most vocal (or at least it seems that way) that sometimes makes me wonder why anyone bothers going to the effort of making anything accessible, given the way they're treated in the process. So we (meaning the disabled community) aren't always doing ourselves favors in the kind of self-advocacy in which we're engaging. It I'll be totally honest—some days it would be a lot less stressful to just develop for sighted gamers.

Which makes me think of one possible challenge with the "social utility" argument. In order to use this as a reason for people to buy into the principle of equal access, we first have to get them to buy into the innate utility of activities often thought of as non-utilitarian—cultural products like playing games, enjoying Broadway shows, going to the movies, etc. If you say, "Accessibility is a moral right!!!!!" then you can simply say a person should have equal access to these things because it is right. If you say accessibility is a matter of social utility, you first have to be able to show that these activities are inherently useful and beneficial to society. I think that argument can definitely be made, by the way, but it can be a hard sell, and maybe this is part of the reason that people default to the moral position—it gives us fewer steps of persuasion to go through in order to get someone to buy into the overall premise. I don't know, that's just a theory.

I will also say that this is all a matter of perspective. Obviously you've had some pretty negative experiences lately, and it's got you mad, and frustrated, and discouraged. I'm not invalidating that—but that experience is going to color how you perceive the situation as a whole. On the flip side, I had some pretty incredible accessibility-related experiences at GDC, so upon coming home I started to see the whole movement surrounding access to gaming through a very rosy-colored lens. The reality, I'm guessing, is probably a little more messy than either of those two perspectives would allow for.

2017-06-06 14:57:48

@Joseph:

I have useful things to post and it may actually shed light on what I call the gaming snobs/assholes/idiots/elitists/etc. As I've said beore, I was involved with the original Project CARS, a mainstream racing simulator. Kep that genre in mind, it'll be important.

Nobody in the development process raised the question of accesibility beyond a driving/braking asssist that the 'hardcore' snobs turned their noses up at and asked why those were even in the sim to begin with, and when it was pointed out those were in to ease new people in, the response from the 'hardcore' crowd was basically, well, screw the new people.

Interestingly, one of the people arguing for assists was a disabled racing driver, who stated the sim needed to be acceissible, and I can't mention his name, but he drives in a one make series as of 2017, and he's a big gamer, but the 'hardcore' crowd basically had a shut the F up buddy, mentality and essentially ran him off the project for a while, and claimed that the racing sim gene didn't need to be accessible because real racing cars aren't disabled friendly.

To which, the disabled driver in question produced proof that disabled drivers were actually catered for in the rulebooks of several series, and showed that yes, there were disabled racing drivers. But still, that genre continues to be very hostile towards disabled racing gamers, I may dig out my old submission to a a forum if I ever find it listing my thoughts on making niche genres accessible to everybody.

Oh and one more thing on that front, several of the people screaming for less accesiblity had put thousands of dollars into the project, but the sim still shipped with assists in, though they were waatered down from what had oiginally been planned.

Now for the other bit of my post....

I think there's militant and aggressive people on both sides of the fence though and IMO developers don't want to deal with the hassle of it, I've heard disabism (as it's been called) equated to the antics of feminists in fighting for equality and frankly, that's a load of crap, I want equality but noot at the cost of crossing the line to get it. I'd rather have constructive discussions rather than fighting and bickering with people, and I do remember back in college, the fully blind kids (I had sight at the time) were acting very, very entitled and pushy and arrogant, as if they were somehow better...er...'better' than the kids with varying amounts of sight, and it was always over very, very petty stuff honestly,. I often wonder why various types of disabled people fight among each other then again, I'm not sure I want to know sometimes.

Also on Linux natively

2017-06-06 14:58:47

@Dark

The reason they call us disabled is because they'd rather not have anything to do with us, so calling us disabled gives them an excuse to say that we can't do anything so they don't have to give us a job or provide products we can use or make their building accessible to wheelchairs, and so on. Unfortunately calling someone disabled is far more acceptable where calling a black person the N word isn't, so they will continue to do it.

It's great to see big companies like Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, and TiVo take steps to make their products usable by every one. But while they tout that they are making accessibility a priority, remember that they aren't doing it for some altruistic reason, they are doing it because some law was passed that requires them to. Their only concern is their bottom line so for them accessibility is just a means to be compliant with accessibility laws and as a marketing strategy to generate goodwill.

@DracoSelene89

That sounds a lot like the NFB, they do seem somewhat militant in the way they do things. Don't get me wrong, I applaud what what they do as well as what they stand for, I just don't think their NRA attitude towards accessibility for the visually impaired isn't the best way to get there. Remember that you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

2017-06-06 15:51:37

Ah I have my own axe to grind with the NFB, AFB, RNIB, BFB and so forth. I wasn't actually aware that the BFB was a thing, the British Federation for the BLind, or they used 'tactics' to get certain movies banned by screaming it'll demean blind people. Bonus points if you know the movie I'm specificially referiring to FWIW I watched a streamed version of that movie a while ago and took it for what it was, a good movie...no need to get all militant and basically speak for every blind user, as everyone is different honestly, after all we're all different on the forum, and I've actually got sources inside PCARS 2 who have told me nothing has changed re: making the game accessible friendly, but that things may improve in patches....then again, I said my views on the first game's developer forum, and got blasted for daring, DARING to say disabled people might pick up the game. Spoiler alert: I picked up the game, learned it, and had my fun with it.

Either way, you're right, you do attract more flies with honey, but shit attracts even more flies sadly and it does seem to me that there's a certain section that loves to go throwing said fecal matter around to impose their views on everyone else and screw whatever happens after that. It's stupid honestly, it's stpid that it's even a thing, but I do think the differing levels of blindness do play a part, somebody who is sighted has different needs (well....partially sighted I mean) than somebody who is fully blind or somebody who was rendered blind by, say, a car wreck or whatever, yet I also think society has  arole to play in this, in that they lump disabled people into one giant box and basically, as said, shove us away.

I'm honestly worried for Thursday, the election and what Corbin, if he gets in, will do to the welfare and benefits system here (I'm currently over the sheep happy side of the ocean....yay), but I also don't trust any of the other parties to increase benefit spending either, or to even cut my lifetime benefits to save money, despite them saying they won't, I don't trust the main political parites to turn around and then do that as a cost cutting measure.

Also, I do think hthe NFB/RNIB/etc attitudes need to change honestly, they need to get with the timesand update their teaching methods, I have family who are involved in education and I was told by relatives that the blind kids are still being taught Braille and told, paraphrasing, Braille is what you will be taught, you don't need computers. Though, that may only be regional, I'm not sure, I'd have to go around the country to check and find out....

Lastly, I do wonder why certain disabled people seem 'jealous' of other disabled people, I was at the first Invictus Games in London, and if things worked out I'd have gone to the Canadian ones, but I personally knew blind people who were crapping on the wounded and disabled servicemen and women for not being 'their' disabled, it made me physically ill. Is that how low people stoop, the 'you are not blind so don't talkk to me' attitude? I've heard it describe as blind racism, and I think that is a pretty apt description of it, though naturally it seems worse in certain corners of the internets.

Also on Linux natively

2017-06-06 16:04:49

Reading the posts used up 95% of the time I have this morning, but I wanted to quickly jump in and say I've been especially fond of DracoSelene's posts in here.  There are some very well written posts sir, so thumbs up from me.  big_smile  Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Most of the posts in here, but I wanted to mention Draco by name for a few things that really jumped out at me in a positive way.

I suppose the 1 question that has continued to cross my mind during this thread is... if "accessibility" should be added to mainstream products for either moral or social utility reasons be limited to visual impairments?  If yes, then how should it be worded so that deaf and physically limited users are not included, and if no, does that significantly larger "burder of accessibility" change any of this?  These are probably just the big-3... I'm sure other groups of disability could be added to this as well.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-06-06 16:05:01 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-06 16:06:53)

I do enjoy the discourse going on in this topic, much more than I would ever get with those pretentious twitter feeds. holy goddamn

@ Dark - interesting insight.

I agree with your sentiment that the "literal disability" and the social perception of disabled pepole are two distinct entities.

It's almost as if people don't see it as a technical problem as you pointed out. A wheelchair would be beneficial for someone with motor disabilities but is inappropriate for a blind person. Likewise, a screenreader is inappropriate to a sighted wheelchair user.

In terms of economy, this is one of the most difficult things to actually address. However, we do live in an era of easily replicable software and residual income models, thus finally possibly opening the door to at least some improvements in accessibility through technology. In fact, at least in terms of blind accessibility, I think the right approach is to focus on software solutions that are compatible with mainstream stuff - aka the screenreader solution, but less outdated.

I disagree that accessibility is a moral right, although I agree in the moral basis of it. The weakness on arguing on morals is that morals are subjective, and oftentimes people will weigh out morals that they simply cannot implement. I highly doubt that most companies that don't implement accessibility are thinking that its somehow wrong to implement blind accessibility, but rather that they have to outweigh some things over others. Even in pure marxist models this decision has to be made at some point due to scarcity of development resources.

I instead argue a utilitarian argument since it's much more difficult to dismiss accessibility when you point out that you're literally paying for disabled people to just sit around and do nothing and wasting millions of dollars on a utility hole that exists in our society.

Thanks for piecing it together for me, it really does show how much of it is... very political indeed. I was naive to think that most people were genuinely interested in developing blind solutions. Morals are appealing to people because its an easy way to slap "good" or "bad" onto something without actually breaking apart what it is, at least in this case.

@Orko - They call you disabled because you are literally unable to do certain things, like I pointed out before. You literally cannot drive a car, or draw, ect. if you're blind. However, the main problem with the use of the word is not distinguishing between what makes something a literal "disability" and the social term for people who have many "literal disabilities". My philosophy is that if these literal disabilities are eliminated one by one, the social label of disability will fade away.

For example, I would also consider someone who can't drive because of emotional problems to also be disabled, because they are disabled at driving.

Of course this won't solve all the social issues with disability, but by normalizing the unbalance, it lowers the excuses that people can give to claim that disabled people are different.

I can't comment much on the NFB but at least they actually help people more than the self-sustaining UX companies do.

Speaking of which, I do wonder how much of the UX laziness is based on self sustaining business models rather than actually helping people, moreso than even the hardware companies. I notice that they have a lot of UX based events but usually only other UX people attend those, and they do very little to try to reform education standards to encourage UX based design among developers. I highly doubt the education situation has changed at all in the last 4 years since I was in college, although correct me if I'm wrong. Their business model thrives on guilt and fear of being sued, and it makes me sick.

I wonder how many of them even just experiment with a screenreader sometimes just to get used to it. Just seems like they're good at filling out alt tags and organizing information.

@DracoSelene - yeah I agree this is a huge problem and I think that the UX types feed right off of these people. Disabled people do have to take some level of responsibility for their situation and have to be understanding.

After all, at least in my case, I'm not blind so I can't consider every possible solution. Cooperation, not condemnation, is key.

@Joseph - Well, less mad and more concerned... the people I see on twitter really concern me due to their extremely high politicial nature. One even said that "Accessibilty IS political". No it's not you fuckwit, it's mainly technological. But these dipshits are the ones I need to appeal to since it's clear that my budget is going to be quite a bit higher for my game than yours and I really really REALLY need the press coverage. (speaking of which, any tips? lol)

Hahaha, it doesn't help that I'm generally utilitarian, but I promise that I argue this more on trying to actually gain technological traction on the issue. As I said to Dark, arguing on morality has a lot of flaws that doesn't really help find real solutions to the problems, just pointing fingers at people who do it "badly".

Yeah, I agree some people are total jerks in the disability community. Personally I don't give a shit since I develop these games out of my own enjoyment of them. But I think hostility compounds to the problem.

It's not hard to demonstrate why entertainment is pro-utilitarian - it reduces stress in individuals and provides them a means to rest without "burning themselves out". AKA it's directly tied to social ergonomics. Furthermore, video games and movies also serve as fantastic proofs-of-concepts for new technology. For example, 3D was once restricted to just video games and movies, but now is used heavily in medical equipment to help diagnose things like heart disorders . So while the purpose initially may be entertainment, which does have limited utility, it can eventually be adapted to more useful purposes, which I think in the case of video game accessibility is entirely possible. In fact, I think that the model I'm building/Aaron's model/a few others could be useful in non-disability applications related to low light or visibility.

The problem with morality though is that it offers little to no actual solution to solve the problem outside of labeling some people as bad and some people good based on their output on the issue, which is inappropriately labeling individuals who may not even be able to help out as "morally bad".

In all honesty, there is good and there is bad. My biggest concern is that their extremely political attitude towards the issue and moral-based arguments will alienate me in the movement and will discourage a paradigm shift that encourages accessibility development, and shut me down before I can even get to be successful. It's genuinely worrying.

I do believe there are plenty of people who are genuinely interested in the technology such as myself, but it's bloated with this 90's esque inclusivity model that adds to the whole "accessibility smell". I would point out that games like yours or mine are doing a far better job at actually pulling away from this problem though since they're potentially appealing to both blind and sighted audiences alike. However, UX people and people who design games for the disabled are two very different groups of people; it's just that UX types are the far more common group.

2017-06-06 16:48:22

Even here there are problems. Take for example Dark's experience with an airline bringing out a wheelchair for his blindness. Instead of objecting that the wheelchair was inappropriate, Did he consider that from the airline's point of view that having someone wheel him through the airport in a wheelchair to his flight would be simpler and use less resources than guiding him through would be. Probably not, he had already decided how he wanted to get there and everyone else be damned. I recently flew across the country (United States) to attend a family reunion. I notified the airline that I was blind and would need assistance getting through the airport at both ends of the flight. Considering the problem from their side, I did not object when they asked me to have a seat in a wheelchair, it made getting to my flight a breeze, especially the part about getting through security.

Part of the problem of making products and places accessible to the handicapped, is the problem that most non handicapped people don't give us a seconds thought. I'm guilty of it myself. It was only in the past three years that I became legally blind. Only then did I give blind people any consideration at all. This isn't to say that I was mean or mistreated handicapped people, it was simply not my problem so I didn't concern myself with it. To that end, I would be willing to bet money that most, if not all, assistive technology companies were started by people that suffered from the handicap their products are designed to assist with.

The saying, "You can't understand a person until you've walked a mile in his shoes." comes to mind.

2017-06-06 16:58:07 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-06 17:02:10)

You're totally right. A lot of people don't give any consideration at all. Why should they, really? It's not really relevant to their lives (although I think as a UX designer you really SHOULD a tad). I really only care because I find the subject so fascinating. I genuinely enjoy exploring the world as a blind person, and thinking of ways to make it better. I would love to take a few days off just to try it out (if I could overcome my fear of potentially being exposed). So I'm certainly an exception to the rule. But even then I don't really fully know the blind experience since I'm not actually blind myself.

This kind of leads into one of the things I think is necessary for achieving quality accessibility - instead of a shotgun morality approach saying that "disabled people need accommodation", a more technical, fine tuned approach is needed. I don't think it should be my responsibility to accommodate other disabilities because my specialty is in blind accessibility and focusing on other forms of accessibility may dilute what I can contribute towards blind accessibility - rather, that someone who focuses on motor disability, or deafness, or cognitive disability, composes their own parts, and then they are overlayed together dependent ON the disability itself, through a portable and easy to implement API (relatively speaking). This specialization of work allows for the best possible solutions to be created while compiling it together in a portable API. This would, at least, improve software accessibility, and the approach may be adopted in physical models as well. We can hope at least.

2017-06-06 17:03:11

Something I wanted to bring up is that accssibility is not black o white, you can actually cater to more people than just one group, I do think that's a huge, huge issue. Either a buildin is wheelcheir friendly OR it's blind friendly OR it's deaf friendly, it's extremes depending on where you are. and who designed and built it.

Speaking of Twitter, here's a new one, accessibility is socialist thinking.

Uh....Twitter....No? Just, no. Accessibility s not 'socialist' in the way ht eUS seems to run screaming from anything they deem to be not capitalist, if anything you could in fact make the argument that accessibility helps capitalism by stimulating an economy by putting more people in work...but, no, the political Twitter-ites scream SOCIALISM GET IT OUT OF MAH UNITED STATES CAPITALISM IS DA ONLY WAY till the cows come home, which really, really pisses me off...and then some.

One issue with utilitarianism though, is that in certain inerpretations is that the argument could be made that it would cost less cut the welfare system and cut offf the disabled to reduce a debt, than spend the money that, in the long term, would feed back into a system by way of work, yes, you spend money in the short term in training, techh and so forth, but....it pays off in the long term.

Also, oh gods, the UX types....ugh. Is it me or are they one giant circlejerk? I got talking to one at PAX East a year or two ago when I was in Boston for a week or two for PAX East helping a friend with a game, and that UX type said, quote:

Don't waste your time on making mainstream games accessible, blind peopl will never play them

Yet, that's been proven wrong, I have no idea if that person still has a job (I hope not), but....it does make you wonder just how far up thier own asss the UX types are.

Alright, let me explain why I dislike the NFB, it's down to personal experiences and how they treat relatives of mine. They basically treated my relative like crap and told him, despite being engaged, despite flying from New England to Vegas and California, despite going on road trips, he shouldn't do any of that, because he is blind, and they insist he needs a guide dog. Which, he has repeatedly told them he's not willing to take care of a dog when he has family in the same general area who will help him out.

I have to admit, I had a good laugh at his text, he went to listen to Wonderwoman the other day and texted me this gem:

IDK if it's a good movie, I can't see what's going on. I sent him back this gem: Well at least you won't feel bad if you wasted a ticket but you won't know how hot the girls are in that movie XD

It's people like him I don't actually consider as disabled, he's my relative who happens to be blind, or his fiancee happens to be marrying a guy who has no sight. Personally, I don't see myself (pun intended) as 'disabled' as to me it's a poisoned word, both by politics and ideology at this point. I mean, 50 years ago they locked blind people up in some areas of the world, I remember an interesting show on the BBC about...arg...4-5 years ago about how ar blind people have come, they used to have pieces like John works in a bank but he's fully blind and he's counting money', patronising statements like that, and I'd argue those attitudes haven't really changed, they've just been hidden from view, they are still there honestly, and they are more often found online.

IMO politicians need to stay out of accssibility, as far as using it as a campaign platform anyhow, and promising what they can't deliver. I met David Blunkett about 10 years ago as part of a thing for my college and he semed nice enough (before his whole affair came out...ugh), and he said very clearly to me that he's a politician, but he can't push through what he wants because the other MPs see him as weaker because he's disabled. That was when he was part of the government. I I highly doubt New/Corbin/whatever he calls them Labour will readily take in a disabled politician unless it's to tick a box, his current makeup is all women, if he does get in on Thursday I full expect him to pander to everyone, which is why I hope the Tories stay in power, for three reasons

1. They scaled back their welfare cuts due to major public backlash from everyone

2. They know not to fuck with people's money

3. People actually rust the Tories. Why, after the past month, not sure, but they do.

To get back on point...I don't care if you're left wing, right wing, a Corbinite, a May supporter, a UKIP supporter ofor those UK guys, a Trudeau supporter for the Canucks, a Front Nationale supporter or an EU supporter, as long as I can sit down and have a civil and adult and balanced discussion with you and both sides come away having learned things, that's all I want out of making the world more accessible for everyone.

Just got pointed out that maybe 'accesiblity' is thewrong idea, in that it imples disabled people deserve special priviledges, like black people and one specifici word (if I quote the point verabtim I'll be thrown off here pretty quick) but I do think that maybe inclusiveness should be etooled to be inclusive to the entire human race, regardless of skin color, race, religion, ablility level or whatever. Inclusiveness, as a concept, isn't a bad idea...in theory. It's how it is applied, it is just a tool, and it's currently, I feel, been in the wrong hands for decades.

Also on Linux natively

2017-06-06 17:20:29 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-06 17:21:14)

I disagree with your evaluation of the utilitarian approach to the problem - by eliminating public services you then cause a huge gap, thus making blind people even less utilized than before, and costing society more through requiring families to support them or even forcing them to die alone. None of this actually benefits society when a wealth of untapped utility lies hidden underneath all these pepole, especially as our society's skills become more and more centered around technology.

I could see how someone uneducated on the matter could make that argument though, which is a major problem. doesn't help that people REEEEEEEEEE whenever they hear about utilitarianism because they think Peter Singer hates disabled people. (Yes, I actually contacted him to verify that his views are frequently misrepresented...)

JESUS FUCK. I can't believe a fucking UX designer said that. What an ignorant, arrogant retard. Do they not realize that blind gamers have been playing fighting games for years now?

He's also completely wrong. A lot of it depends on how you integrate it. The indie community who's learned about my game is shitting bricks over it because it's a game about colors that can be played BLIND. I use the accessibility engine in sighted mode to explore dark areas. It's called "having an original idea".

Ah, so the NFB is pushy with their ideals. I can't really speak out on the whole guide dog thing but one of the major problems with a guide dog is it sticks out even more than a white cane, which is not often considered. Plus, dogs require a lot more upkeep than a cane or technology. Dogs may actually be replaced in my lifetime, I wouldn't be surprised.

Like I said, "Disability" in my opinion should be focused on the literal interpretation of the term "disability". I know plenty of blind folk who can function independently, but I still consider them "disabled" less because of them but more because there are certain limitations on what they can do. Things like drawing are unimportant, but using an application is, so my whole philosophy is about reducing or eliminating disability through technology. So I would consider both of you disabled in the sense that you can't do some important things, but not in the sense that you aren't independent. Dependence is often implied by the term disability, which complicates the isuse.

The attitudes have only slightly changed because blind people are slightly more employable, but that "disability" that makes them less efficient I think is at least partially to blame for the social problem. Once this barrier is lifted I think blind people will be able to integrate easier.

While I keep myself out of politics, I think its fair to say that the government can be useful in some cases, such as enforcing building codes. However, like anything else, it's a tool, and it has a somewhat shotgun approach, so activists trying to change the law to do this or that are probably not helping anywhere near as much as the technology itself. If anything laws should be made to compliment accessibility but itself should not be addressed politically.

Eh, I don't really agree with "accessibility being the wrong idea" as long as its designed to equalize. For example disabled parking spots are there because the people have trouble walking usually and walking across a parking lot may be much more difficult for them than being closer. However I do think that a lot of the time it is abused, especially with this word policing nonsense.

2017-06-06 17:48:18

I'm sorry but I don't understand most of what you are saying because I don't know what ux means.

2017-06-06 17:53:17 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-06 17:53:39)

UX = user experience

It refers to the businesses, individuals and organizations that help implement web accessibility usually, and sometimes application accessibility.

2017-06-06 18:05:23

Thank you!

2017-06-06 18:41:38

While I have issues with the NFB, the described incident is more or less the exact opposite of what I would expect from the typical NFB evangelist. I think maybe the NFB is not so homogeneous as one might think, what with having several thousand members all over the US.
I've heard the idea that maybe the wheelchairs-in-airports thing is for insurence purposes. You know, if a blind person is just capable enough to escape the obnoxious assisters but not enough to avoid causing an injury, resulting in the victim suing the airport instead of the blind person, because America.
Also I dismissed the "it'll be faster" argument when the guy who stood beside me yelling "left! right! left! straight!" the whole time also said "slow down!"  But in their defense, they had only seen me get off the plane when offering wheelchairs. In my defense, they'd just seen me get off the plane. (Dallas. It's always Dallas.)

The sqaueay wheel gets the grease, even though I feel like we need a more versatile metaphore so I can do something witty with it... sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-06 19:41:23

To each his own, I'm not saying Dark was wrong for rejecting the wheelchair, I was just pointing out an alternative view instead of the disparaging one he presented.

Call me lazy, but I much prefer being wheeled through the airport and being able to fast track through security over walking all the way to the gate and slogging through the security morass.

If society is willing to give me special treatment because of my handicap, who am I to question them?

2017-06-06 20:46:42

Fair enough. smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-06 21:16:21 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-06 21:16:33)

maybe this will end up like that scene in Wall-E where all the people are fat and rolling around on chairs because it's easier to just be in a wheelchair and more comfortable lol

what have I done????

2017-06-07 08:32:34

I do find this topic fascinating. First, @Daigonite, I feel really bad for you at this point. The sort of people you describe in your first post are common place in different forms covering a range of political topics. It is very concerning honestly. @Dark, I sent your wheel chair story to a friend of mine to have a quick laugh. While I suppose there is always some form of a logical reason for things, that one just really got me going. Daigonite, I find actually what you've implemented in Colors pretty cool so far. One of my favorites as far as accessibility goes, is that I can turn on the graphics along with having the accessibility on. I do have some usable sight, and it just gives me that extra kick from the game. That being said, so long as the accessibility trigger can be easily accessed, the need to start with automatic accessibility really isn't necisary. Indeed, I'd agree that starting with it off is probably a good solution so long as it doesn't hinder anyone from accessing the accessibility trigger. I would like to try to get your name out there more, but it isn't always the easiest of things to do. Remember, if you are developing for the main stream market, they can provide a lot of face provided you look in the right places. It really isn't easy, though. This is why most people who can afford it hire marketing teams.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"