2017-05-28 13:48:43

Hi.
I have send a mail to Ian about this, but never received any reply.
I don't find any contact information on the website to the person who have taken over the development of the game, so I'll hopefully get in touch in this topic.
The multiplayer part of Tactical Battle is no longer working. If people are interested, I would like to offer hosting the multiplayer part of the server for free. I think it's a huge shame that the multiplayer part of the game has been taken down. So, if this have peoples interest, then please leave a comment in this topic. Then, we can hopefully get this up and running again.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-05-28 17:36:08

Yes I want.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-05-28 20:05:57

How long ago did you send this message? I know Ian's been on vacation recently so that could explain why he never got back to you. He has a lot of other stuff going on that can sometimes make it difficult for him to respond to all his emails. But I will definitely bring this to attention next time I talk to him.

2017-05-29 00:53:30

That'd be me. There's no contact details for me though on blindgamers.com, it's still really his. Ian's been busy with a lot of other things recently. You'll have my contact details through here (I think).

I've lost access to his server, where all the cool stuff happens, including the online server and deployments of the code. So, I can't really do anything to help I'm afraid.

If it was as simple as having a new home for the server and it'd magically work, I could probably just stand up a new Azure instance to host it on and run the server from there. I might even be able to shared host it to save some pennies, as the server is fairly lightweight. All the running of the game happens on the host's machine, after all. It just match makes and routes messages from the host to all the other players. Or I could just accept your offer and send you the server executable and config and away you could go, in theory. But you'd have to update all the clients to use this new match making server. The most efficient way to do that is to deploy a new release. Which... needs the server. I could of course do this somewhere else and have players use that for their updates and such like, but then I feel like I'm stealing this from Ian and that's not what I want. Or maybe that's just me being overly sentimental.

But that's the lay of the land as is right now. When Ian's back, I'll see about getting access again and I can get the server up and running and it should all work again. And I'll be able to deploy releases too. If I can ever figure out this memory issue, that is.

2017-05-29 01:28:36

Craig, please also feel free to reach out to me if you need a message delivered to Ian. I'm in fairly regular contact with him, so I can always help with passing along reminders or whatever, if need be.

2017-05-29 08:27:21

@Joseph: Thanks a lot. I send Ian a mail like two or three weeks ago. However, I have had some issues with my mail, so I might have missed his reply. It would be great if you will ask Ian if he ever received my request.
@Truecraig: Thanks a lot for your reply, and explaining on what's going on.
It would be nice if you could talk to Ian on what you have the rights to do etc. Reading Ians announcement on his website, I understand this as you have totally taken over this project, but I might be wrong. The best solution would of course be to get access to his server again, the files you need and then maybe move it all to your own website and server, so you can manage everything on your own. Ian could of course link to your website. I hope you'll talk to Joseph and Ian about this and get it sorted out. Keep up the great job on this project. This is an awesome game...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-06-05 18:39:06

Luckily, Ian found this topic and sent me some creds, so we're back up and running again now.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

2017-06-05 20:00:22

Its awesome that the multi-player feature is back. If anyone wants to play, feel free to let me know. I'm always up for a game. Btw, could we
have the server maps updated? They haven't been updated in ages..

2017-06-06 02:56:03

So now that its back up, anybody interested in playing some rampage maps?

2017-06-06 04:18:32

Can anyone put up a Rampage maps links? I've never played them and am interested in playing them.

2017-06-06 07:01:50

Awesome. I' glad that Ian found the topic, and send you what you needed. Thanks for bringing the multiplayer part back. big_smile I'm currently quite busy, but would love to play against other players.

Best regards SLJ.

2017-06-06 14:29:08

Isn't the multiplayer still broken anyway? I tested it yesterday by opening the client twice and you get logged off when ending your turn.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-06-19 00:23:49 (edited by truecraig 2017-06-19 00:25:11)

@Caio: I'm happy to. The problem is Dropbox started changing their links to have their ?dl=0 at the end of them (in what's called the querystring). They wanted to instead of giving people a direct usable link, take people to a page on Dropbox, get you to sign in, or preferably up, blah blah blah. Which makes life more difficult for us as you can imagine. Not a problem for anyone using an alternative hosting service, but Dropbox is by far the most popular. I put in a fix months ago to allow TB to handle query strings, but it's not been released yet. I'm hoping to tie off a release soon, so it'll be out then and I can then start updating the dev maps list.

@roelvdwal: I've not observed that.

EDIT: Meh, looks like the rest of my message was cut off. In short, try copying your TB folder and logging in once from each client if you want to play yourself to test this.

2017-06-22 02:18:39

how can I download this game. It sounds really cool.

2017-06-22 17:48:53

Ah, will redownload then. My version was updated all the way from some early dev version of 1.13.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-06-23 12:42:48

people from where i can download this game latest version, and all map packs?