2017-04-19 22:28:42

I almost wonder if this is an issue related to DirectX or something, make sure you have the most recent version installed, since I believe its required for the 3D sounds to work.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-04-20 04:25:40

Hello. My analysis of the game so far. Great game. I do like the concepts behind the color system, and I can't wait to see where you run with it. Are the first town, the forest, the lake, and the recreation area the only four areas implemented at the moment? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Also, I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but is Mike supposed to be unable to select a target?

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-04-20 04:51:54 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-20 04:53:09)

Yep, that's all that's in the game right now, it's just a demo to show off features at this point.

Mike is blind so he can't target, the other blind character later in the game also has this property; this is used more as a balancing technique than anything. He can't target but he's one of the strongest physical attackers in the game, so whatever he DOES hit, he will hit hard. Blind characters have a few unique properties, they are the only characters that can use the secondary effects of cane items, they are the only characters that have ruthless chance (which is like a critical hit) and they are immune to some statuses, such as Blind (which also lowers hit chance) and Stone.

2017-04-20 18:49:50

Works with SAPI5 currently (uses the same thing as braillemon actually).

I intend to have at least 9 dungeons, and 8 towns, perhaps a few connectors as well. The setting is based on metro detroit.

2017-04-22 18:24:17

Updated the release link, the movement model has been changed to be more optimized, let me know what you think.

2017-05-26 01:09:54

Hey everyone, new release!

gamejolt.com/games/ColorsChromatics/248621

Cleaned up a lot of stuff in regards to features unrelated to accessibility. It would be really helpful if I could get some feedback on the current navigation system, thanks

2017-05-26 07:28:32

Hey everyone! Daigonite, I'll check it out. Thanks for the update.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-05-26 08:16:45

So far I'm finding the navigation system really unclear. When I walk towards a wall, all I hear is a sound panned left regardless of the direction of the wall I'm walking into. There are footstep echoes that play in the direction of walls, but since you move like 30 in a given direction if you hold the arrow for a second you can miss openings very easily.
I think it would be much more usable if the game notified you when your surroundings change. For example if you are walking along a wall to your north and there is an opening, the game could play some kind of notification sound  from that direction.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2017-05-26 12:11:23

Yo folks. Well, the game is not running on my machine for some reason. I managed to play all the previous versions though. But when I press enter on the .exe file, the game crashes before even starting.
Best regards, Haramir.

2017-05-26 12:41:59 (edited by daigonite 2017-05-26 19:13:50)

Haramir - This game won't run on windows XP. If you're running windows XP, upgrade, seriously, you shouldn't be running it and its a security nightmare. That would be my guess tbh

Stewie - I've been looking into the problem with the sound, I noticed it just yesterday. GMS doesn't allow sound panning for some unholy reason so I used panned sfx, but I think it doesn't work for some reason. Very frustrated over this development.  When it pans properly it's much more usable.

I'm working on a hack workaround right now.

So like a little jingle or sound that occurs when you come across an opening?

Edit: I made an update to the system, should be updating the link soon. I'm putting priority on an event where I show off the game this weekend. wish me luck

2017-05-26 21:26:57

My favourite example of a system that does this is Shadow Rine's. It plays a sort of wind sound when there's space in a given direction and another sound when there is a wall that way instead (but it will work from a distance, IE when the amount of space increases or decreases in a given direction, you don't have to be right next to the obstruction).

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2017-05-26 22:52:39

Nah, lol. My windows is indeed outdated, but it is a windows seven. big_smile I may be able to update it to windows 10 soon though.
Best regards, Haramir.

2017-05-28 03:19:26

Is there any error that comes with it, that would be helpful. I also have redone how the wall sounds work but the link won't be updated until later this week. I'm currently at a convention sharing the game with sighted players, seems to be fairly well received.

2017-05-28 06:17:13

Hello folks. Daigonite, no error messages or something I can show. The application just crashes.
Best regards, Haramir.

2017-05-28 15:06:59

I have no idea then, I'm sorry. It has worked on every other computer. Do you have access to another computer?

Also, the error with the bookmarks has to do with the fact that it will shut off if it detects a collision in between the player and the collision. However it's not calibrated properly so there are instances where if you place a bookmark close enough to a collision, there will be a point where you can't hear the bookmark anymore despite not having a collision in the way.

I'll also be adding a toggle to turn off the access sounds so that you can hear the other sound effects and music better too.

2017-06-01 18:19:15 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-01 18:20:06)

So what I have built out is a basic corner detector. Basically what it does is that if a collision suddenly changes as you're walking (such as you traversing along a wall and reaching an opening) it will play a sound. It's kind of buggy right now but this is mainly because the wall detecting sound is a little off anyways.

I'm thinking about implementing paths that move audio listeners in a certain direction depending on what entrance you entered the map, but I'm still designing it. What do you think? It would sound like a wind sound that moves in a specific direction.

2017-06-01 23:17:08

What would the path sounds do, outline something like a road or hallway?

2017-06-02 01:02:53

What they do is they essentially find the path from your current location to the selected exit in the locator menu, and makes a sound effect that travels in that direction to encourage you to follow in it. It uses a special pathfinding technique to avoid collisions.

Also, guys, if you're encountering bugs, it would really help if you could give me information about it. This is only my second audio game, but I'm working hard for a commercial release. This game uses the audio engine for sighted gameplay so it's imperative that I'm able to get it more up to speed.

I've had to focus on other parts of development and I would appreciate guides or tips. Aaron Baker has generously provided me a lot of advice on how to improve my game and I think additional input would make this work much better. I can't improve if I don't know the issues. Thanks.

2017-06-02 02:32:02

Oh I think that would be a really good idea. Out of curiosity why did you make the choices regarding the vast coordinate distances? I mean how one second of movement is like 30 units different on an axis.
Also one thing I notice, a lot of the objects you can interact with (like the thing in the protagonist's house you can move) don't make sound so finding them is difficult.

2017-06-02 12:29:51 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-02 12:30:37)

This is mainly because in my last game Braillemon it adjusted the coordinates by dividing them by 16. Since it was on a grid this was appropriate - colors is free roaming essentially and the grid is 1x1 instead of 16x16. Also the game runs at 60 FPS so in 1 second you will move movement rate times 60, and I know the movement rate is more than just 1 pixel.

I added the feature since I came up with an idea yesterday regarding paths and figured it would be much easier to use. It works pretty easily actually. Working on some collision bugs that I think is interfering with the wall sound.

One tip - You can hear when you can interact with something since it does change the pitch of the footstep sound noticably, however I will be adding more audio locators down the line. Just not a huge priority at the moment. Also, a lot of items are also not noticable in sighted mode so those will stay the same.

2017-06-03 20:43:59 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-03 20:44:38)

I've pinned down a pretty bad bug with the blind mode navigation and I have a few tweets that show off the improved navigation + a pathfinder that allows you to get a path lined out to the exit that you select in the location menu.

https://twitter.com/colorchromatics/sta … 7702952962

https://twitter.com/colorchromatics/sta … 2994453508

Feel free to follow me on twitter, although it's aimed more at my sighted demographic so a lot of posts will be involving graphics and showing off visual effects.

2017-06-16 16:37:34

Hello everyone,

I am currently building out UIs for the sighted mode but I was wondering if people wanted to try out the new features for accessibility mode early?

These are the fixes I've made.

1. Fixed the bug that caused the proximity sound to "lock on" to a certain direction. This made using the wall navigation difficult since you couldn't hear the proper side.
2. Fixed the audio buffer bug that corrupted the sounds if you used bookmarks.
3. Added the ability to have "audio paths" towards exits and bookmarks
4. You can now rename bookmarks

Tutorial won't be updated but you can still use the new system regardless.

2017-06-16 18:27:07 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-16 18:27:18)

You can download the demo here:

https://gamejolt.com/games/ColorsChromatics/248621

It's really buggy though

2017-06-17 03:37:47

This is going very well. I can't wait for more now.:)

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-06-18 21:51:24 (edited by daigonite 2017-06-19 18:22:38)

This is an early release intended to demo the new audio engine. I need to do a lot more work in other parts of the game but I wanted feedback.

The controls are slightly different. To drop down a bookmark, press shift. Press shift near a bookmark and the bookmark menu opens. You can either rename the bookmark or delete it. The rename screen is super basic right now.

You can open the bookmark list with E. Both the exit locator and bookmark list allow you to create an audio path from your current position to the desired position. Press z to create one and c to destroy all paths. The path is a sound that will move in the direction towards the destination. If you go too far away from it it will be quiet.

The next full release will update the tutorial accordingly, just takes a lot of time to put that stuff together tongue

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BygzF … U03RkliTkU

You can't turn off the sounds just yet but the other functions are pretty much working so give them a try.

EDIT: New game is broken, will fix tonight.