2017-05-26 16:05:27

Hello all admins,
This is really becoming a problem, and it's irritating the hell out of me. I really should use an ad blocker, I know, but I don't. Anyway, why the hell does the site have ads that absolutely no one is going to click on? For instance:
<frame><frame><frame>aclk sa=L&ai=Cja0kTzUoWeODNdac…</frame></frame></frame>
I put those HTML tags in there just to show you that there were three frames inside one another. Here's what I'm wondering though -- why are there frames anyway? Ads? This site is supposed to promote games and accessibility, yet we put ads on here that constantly update and make navigation sometimes impossible because it's moving your cursor all over the place. If this site is truly dedicated to accessibility then these ads really, really need to go and never come back.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-05-26 18:15:45

I don't disagree that ads are annoying. Yes, get and use an ad blocker. It's what I do and it works well.

In the meantime, while people are viewing the ads and not everyone has an ad blocker installed, ads are how this site, which you enjoy for free, is sponsored. How else do you imagine this should be done without ads?

Just myself, as usual.

2017-05-26 18:40:07

Or, disable javascript; that's what I do.  If you're using IE, seriously consider using something else.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-05-26 19:14:41

Oh, I'm using Seamonkey.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-05-27 10:26:53

Personally I don't find the adds as much of an issue since I can just wiz past them by using heading navigation, though this is one area  Supernova is superior to Nvda, since Nvda has a habbit of getting stuck on add panels where as supernova didn't.

If anyone can suggest a decent add blocker that works with Ie I'd be glad to try one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-27 11:42:10

I use Adblock Plus. It's pretty decent. It can be found at adblockplus.org.

2017-05-27 13:42:43

Thanks for that one Draq, Addblockplus seems to be doing the job rather nicely.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-28 19:51:51

When you get in to a frame with ads, press comma if you use NVDA to get past it. This is a command to get past any container, list, table, frame or whatever else.

2017-05-28 20:06:59

If you are going to use addblock plus, please read about the companies business practices before you do: in short, they are blocking all adds except when publishers / advertisers pay them, as the article puts it: they are the gatekeaper of there own gate.
https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/13/1289 … -sells-ads
If you want nearly all adds to be blocked, you might want to take a look at ublock origin instead.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-05-28 21:10:18

i checked that thing on crome store but it's not being selled anymore on the store

2017-05-28 23:53:57

I use ublock origin found on chrome and firefox.

2017-05-30 15:49:44

Sebi, one way could be to take a page out of Youtube's book, and offer a premium service for  $5 a month that gets rid of ads and so forth, it'd obviously go tward costs and such, I've been on sites with such a program and I personally wouldn't mind paying a few bucks a month ot support the site.

That being said, I personally don't like the ads that are intrusive as hell really, and given again Youtube's own issues with ads...yeah, I'd happily pay for the site to remove ads, This site, not YT, though I'd happily pay for that too really...

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively