2017-04-18 10:13:31 (edited by rpgtank 2017-04-19 03:41:27)

This is my first bgt project. To see how it works read the help in the main menu.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/li4joxourtdvu … a.exe?dl=1

2017-04-18 10:23:27

link is kinda broken i guess. try creating a new link and change the 0 into an 1, so you get dl=1 at the end. The download button won't activate

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2017-04-18 15:52:59

It's working fine for me. What happens now is the download button becomes an expandable menu, and you have have to click direct download once ou've clicekd the button. IT won't just work anymore, it's now a two-step process.
I've also now tried the game, and it's a nice little idea. Now, I've noticed that not many other people are commenting in this topic, and I think I know why.
This game is really obscure! There's no proper explanation of the rules, how many stones we start with and what is happening. I can't say I even knew this was a board game until I'd downloaded the exe file. I even say this after reading the help file. I think more of an explanation of what is happening is required, and how this game works. For instance, what moves can you make during a turn, while it's about strategy, an example could be useful. FOr instance I went to hole 5, then tried going to hole 4 and then it just went to the computer's turn, who somehow managed to collect nine stones.
I also notice it doesn't tell you how many stones you collect after your turn.

2017-04-18 20:57:56

Mankala used to be my favorite game as a young child. I've always thought about trying to make a computer rendition of the game, but I never knew how to go about this. I'm glad that someone did it. I love the game, but it would be cool if there were sounds for the marbles moving around. Unless there are sounds, and they just aren't playing for some reason. Other than that, great game. smile

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2017-04-19 18:17:43

Does anyone know if this game was around in the uk at \ll? I've never heard of it. It's a reall nice concept though, as I said in my first post on this topic.

2017-04-19 22:51:57

I loved this game as a kid as well. I have the same suggestion, if you can add some sounds, maybe some calm music, a leader board, and an online mode so we can play against others. other than that, great job

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2017-04-20 16:56:59

ooo, i'M very happy someone did  this thing
but please add sounds
thanks

2017-04-21 06:26:39

curious, has anyone won a game yet? I have come close, have loss where the cpu has only had like 7more marbles then me but no wins yet

2017-04-21 06:48:28

wow after writing my last post, I played the game again and finally beat the cpu 30marbles to there 28

2017-05-04 09:54:48

I have changed the help section. Hopefully, the game should be easier to understand.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfmsc5da7zfdj … a.exe?dl=1

2017-05-04 23:15:52

lol I don't think understanding the game was the issue. I think we all just want an update to the game that supports different sounds like marbles moving, and an online feature to play against other players

2017-05-27 04:03:40

I've now added a sound for when stones move on your turn, but I won't be adding network play, since I have never gotten the network object to work.
The link is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2wxchvhous4f … a.zip?dl=1
I hope you all enjoy it.

2017-05-27 06:50:45

Well, darn. The link is getting to much traffic. I wanted to download this game. I like this game. I played the real one a few years back with some friends, and really liked it them.

2017-05-27 11:19:30

@Aaron, nope, I think Mankala is like Jungle chess, Go or even Backgammon in that it is a game very well known in some countries and completely unknown in others.

I recall the game being mentioned at one point a few years ago, and I went and looked it up on Wikipedia, and the rules are to do with sewing seeds or something, ---- though to be honest I didn't really understand them either, indeed if you hadn't mentioned stones or holes I wouldn't have remembered looking the game up previously.

So Rptank, perhaps a good explanation of the rules, and maybe even a little about the history of the game would be helpful for those of us not familiar with it much as Philip did with Jungle.

You could also consider having a couple of different difficulty settings for the computer Ai so people having to learn the game would be able to practice.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-28 01:00:18

The help section in the mainm menu explains the rules. I will add an easier difficulty in the next update.

2017-05-28 20:56:14

Hi. Where I can download it?

2017-05-30 03:44:09

perhaps one of the devs can assist with helping setup network play? also, how about adding a score board or trophys or medals we can receive for beating the computer

2017-07-17 11:05:58 (edited by rpgtank 2017-07-18 02:21:19)

Hi everyone

In this version of the game, I have added network play and trophies. I decided not to add an easier dificulty level, since I couldn't think of a way to make the computer easier and still have it play the game properly. I have also added more info to the help file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzs28s7s4nvyh … a.zip?dl=1

2017-07-17 15:19:56

sad
Dropbox is a pain.
You hit your downloads limits like me.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-07-17 19:45:24

I get the Dropbox 429 page as well. Darn. I wanted to try this newest version of the game.

2017-07-22 03:16:58

I have now uploaded the game on mediafire
https://www.mediafire.com/?334whf4u72fqkyv

2017-07-22 12:33:19

Hi! It's been a long time since I pleyd Mancala, but when I tried accessing the help menu, I got this error. Call stack size: 3

Function: void helpscreen()

Function: void mainmenu()

Function: void main()
Also, I think it would be great if you could make the arrow keys behave the same way you would if you navigated a board game. The first six holes should be on the first row, and down arrow moves you another row down to where the two pots are, and one more row down are the other six holes.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-22 22:25:56

Thanks alot, I will try that.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-07-24 15:49:49

Hopefully everything should be fixed now
https://www.mediafire.com/?3jcrljcf8r7r3js

2017-07-25 13:23:56

any update plans for this game like a multi player mode