2017-05-18 00:19:25 (edited by Shadowcat 2017-05-18 00:20:46)

okay, so recently I got my computer onto windows 10 creator
However since then there've been a couple issues, top two being stereo mix now apparently cuts out and stutters where it worked perfectly before this update, and changing volume while sounds are playing after the computer has been active for a while also causes a slight audio freeze, although a quick restart can fix that one
I've tried running the automatic driver updates on the conexant drivers this laptop uses, however I am apparently on the latest version already
I'd be tempted to see if their website has anything, but I wouldn't really want to mess around with audio drivers, lol obvious reasons...
would anyone who has a bit more experience with these kinds of things be willing to assist? anything on either issue would be greatly appreciated
thanks

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2017-05-18 00:46:28

Just a thought, but do you have a USB headset or sound card that you can plug in while you troubleshoot this? That way, you can set your screen reader's output to that device while you try and find an updated driver. I don't know anything about your specific problem, unfortunately, but that would be the best way forward if you don't want to risk losing speech during the process.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-05-18 01:07:03

I do not unfortunately, although I'm also wondering if it's actually an outdated driver issue, or just something in the update messed with something and conexant just hasn't gotten to releasing a new driver version yet

2017-05-18 02:10:32

When my computer was updated to the Windows 10 anniversary edition, I experienced a major audio problem. When I would unplug the headphones from my computer, the sounds coming out of the speakers would be completely distorted, like the speakers had been broken or something like that. That was the time when I restored my computer to the November update (version 1511), and from then on, I said no to any Windows 10 update, which I'll do away with this summer when my holidays start. Quite disappointed with it, I confess!

2017-05-18 02:26:10

yeah see I never had anything that drastic, I just had a problem where after the first reboot my computer was on the stock drivers so wouldn't switch between speakers and headphones, but one-time restart fixed that part
although I didn't know you can actually disable updates, so that might be worth looking into

2017-05-18 05:38:02

You can, the simplest way being by using Winaero Tweaker.

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796

You can customize many useful things by using this app. These are changes that can be made in the registry or group policy editor, but this is a much easier way to accomplish it.

As for the problem that was discussed above about distorted sound, this can usually be fixed by disabling all enhancements in your sound driver. Go to the playback section in your sound settings, then switch to the enhancements tab. Make sure that the disable all enhancements checkbox is checked, and you should notice a drastic improvement in how your computer sounds.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-05-18 05:42:06

that would depend on your sound card though, like the ones that come with mine? not sure what it exactly does but it gives my laptop's speakers a bit of artificial base... probably sounds terrible for audio people but I like it, and when I plug in headphones it's automatically turned off
but yeah on that track the audio enhancements could be causing your issue over there, in my current case though turning off enhancements in stereo mix does stop the weird stuttering recording issue, but it also makes it go very quiet... like so quiet there's no point in recording anything with it lol

2017-05-18 07:59:04 (edited by turtlepower17 2017-05-18 08:05:54)

Yeah, I imagine that for music it really does sound nice. The problem is that, for some reason, these enhancements always wreak havoc on any speech output a computer makes, no matter what screen reader you use. So I just try to buy decent USB headphones which compensate for this, and never use my computer's speakers, and thus the default sound card, unless I absolutely have to, which is pretty much nonexistent. I never thought I'd get to a point in my life where I'd take any digital audio signal over analog, but most default sound drivers these days are a bitch.

2017-05-18 15:36:45

yeah, I can get where that comes from
although funnily enough these particular enhancements hits my speech just fine, it's why I try to stay off the headphones unless I'm actively gaming