2017-05-12 21:46:59

Hi.
I do not know where to put this but I have a question:
Do you have gw basic for windows to run danz games and more from talking dosbox?
Because I can not run the talking dosbox because unknown problems.
Please help and thanks in advance.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-05-13 08:40:48

gw basic is a 16 bit program, I don't believe they ever made a 32 bit version to run under x86 or wow64. But if they ever did, or somebody ported it, google is your friend. I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to get dosbox running though.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2017-05-13 08:49:32

sorry for double posting, but I may have found something that works. I haven't tested this myself, but they say it's a gw basic emulator written in python and that it is fully featured and will even run .bas files. Click here

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2017-05-13 13:58:47

I tried it. Yes, it can be used to play music files, but the text printed by programs isn't accessible. It could probably be modified so it would be, but I don't know how.

2017-05-13 18:10:03

Hi.
How to use it?
I really want to play more games like life.bas.
And in post 2 when I want to run talking dosbox my computer automaticaly crashes.
I have a computer with 8 gb ram and an intel core i7 with 4 ghz.
Speed is not a problem.
Do I need to reinstal windows or something?

2017-05-13 20:56:02

Hi.
Sorry for double posting but I found a free basic compiler and it is from cmd.
I forget the link.
I will be back with this.

2017-05-13 21:52:40

why not just use talking dosbox? Its easier and runs basic and all its features natively including the pc speaker sounds for basic music and stuff.

2017-05-14 00:52:32

joshknnd1982

.BAS files can be converted to text and edited by any word processor.
It is the ascii text file that holds all the instructions to play the game.
Once you change the file you can run it with GW Basic or convert it to an .EXE file that doewn't need the GW Basic.exe file to be in the same folder.

2017-05-16 20:33:22

There's also QB64, but as with PC BASIC the printed text isn't accessible.
Why the hell would someone make a qBASIC or gwBASIC clone and make the text inaccessible to screen readers? That's like writing a C compiler and not allowing a screen reader to read the compiler output. Just stupid.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-05-17 01:22:06

They probably wanted to make it look like it would using the display technology of the time period.

2017-05-18 16:55:24

Good point, but I still think it's a stupid idea. If I wanted a BASIC language that looked like gwBASIC on DOS I'd just use gwBASIC with DOSBox or DOSEmu.
Speaking of DOSEmu, that has to be the best way to run DOS games on Linux IMHO. I wish more emulators followed DOSEmu's example of providing a -t switch that works with screen readers.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce