2017-05-12 16:57:05

Hello all. So, I was advised to create a topic like this, thanks Assault_Freak, I think this will help a great deal, and had some questions to ask. So, as an avid MK player, I've grown used to the relative simplicity of the stages available to play on. For example, relatively quiet background music and less energy flying around. What I mean by this is in such games as Marvel VS Capcom, Street Fighter, Killer Instinct and Tekken, you've got blaringly loud music, which yes, I know you can probably turn down, and then you've got an announcer constantly dictating what's happening, but that's more so in Killer Instinct. I have trouble following action in Street Fighter and the like because there's constantly a million people yelling, or so it seems, and loud, too extensive energy bursts, and it becomes overwhelming. I would definitely love to broaden my spectrum and have more to play with, but I'm unsure of how I can when I can not get drawn in by the fighting because of the overwhelmingly loud and chaotic gameplay. Any tips?

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.
Discord: CritterPup
RPG Discord Server: https://discord.gg/QQcHS3Gk

2017-05-12 17:08:24

I'm not sure which Street Fighter you've played... but they definitely aren't as chaotic as that. Marvel Vs. capcom 3 is chaotic even for me, and I don't enjoy it. Street Fighter, as a series, has always had one thing of note... for each of the six attack buttons, there is a different execution sound and impact sound. Every punch or kick has its own distinct sound when you press the button, and anothe distinct sound if it actually hits an opponent.
Tekken is harder, as the sounds are in mono. but unlike SF and most other fighting games, Tekken doesn't rely much on energy or supernatural attacks... moreso on hard hitting punches, kicks, and combinations of both. all the music in the games can be turned down while you're still getting used to the game. Killer instinct is also the same, and after getting used to the game, I actually find myself turning up the music a bit more than the sounds because of the dynamic soundtrack that changes as you play. The best thing to do with each game is turn down the music, go into training mode, experiment with different characters to learn the sounds their moves make, etc. Street Fighter V, though overlooked by many, has posibly one of the best sound design in order to communicate information, next to Killer Instinct. If I watch a match, I can commentate what's going on with probably about 80% accuracy.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-05-12 17:17:04

I think the last Street Fighter I played was SF 4 but I don't remember which edition. I played Dead Or Alive 5 in the story mode and that wasn't terribly hard...

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-05-12 17:25:16

Street Fighter 4 caries much of the same design as V in terms of audio... it's actually been pretty consistently designed that way since about SF 3.

2017-05-12 17:28:40

My next question is, is Street Fighter V permanently Playstation Exclusive, and was SF 4 made backwards compattible?

2017-05-12 20:52:23

Street fighter v is also for pc, i don't think there will be an xbox release, could be wrong though. Also, the orrigenal street fighter 4 is backwards compatible, but not super or ultra.

2017-05-12 21:12:58

Out of curiosity, what is that backwards compatibility you are talking about?

2017-05-12 22:30:52

wish i could find a download code for sf v for pc all i can find is the dvd as i don't use steam.

2017-05-13 06:07:54

You aren't going to find a way to get it legally, at least not through here. And I'm curious to know what people mean by backwards compatible... only Ultra SF 4 was released on ps4. In similar news though, would people be interested in a recording of how I generally go about a new fighting game? I will save it for when Tekken 7 comes out, and once I'm familiar with the menus I'll walk through some of how I learn a game's audio.

2017-05-13 06:35:44

Hi.
Wait, ultra SF 4 was also released for PC, wasnt it released for ps3 and xbox 360 too? Or am I messing up something here?
Greetings moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-05-13 06:43:53

It was originally released on ps3, xbox360 and pc. Ps4 and xbox1 ports came later.

2017-05-13 07:10:42

@assault_freak
Yeah I'd love to see you do a recording about learning a new fighting game. I know there's a couple people that have posted some things on youtube and the likes, still would be cool though

2017-05-13 09:46:06 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2017-05-13 09:49:14)

@1
It's pretty much down to you turning down/up the various volumes until you find a balance that you can work with.  With KI, turn your music down, play matches etc and once you feel you're used to the sounds, you can start turning it up.  Ki's actually pretty easy to follow, compared to something like SFV, where though Assault will tell you otherwise, the sounds aren't as clear as they arguably should be for an optimal/even playing field.

Should you decide to pick up KI, there are a large number of resources available to help you and though some of the info relies on visuals, there's a fair amount where the theoretical aspects are explored instead through text.

@7
It's compatability for 360 games on Xbox One, though as they run through the 360 dashboard, you won't be able to get invites etc online with an accessible interface.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-05-13 14:54:27 (edited by assault_freak 2017-05-13 14:56:16)

Not going to argue about SF V sounds being clear... that's hard to discuss without knowing specifically what sounds you're refering to. What I say about how clear anything is is soully opinion, nothing more. Though I'm genuinely curious as to why you think they aren't clear for an equal playing field. Again, not trying to argue or debate... just honestly curious, especially if there's anything I can either explain or demonstrate to clear things up.

2017-05-13 16:50:24

@11, are you saying I can buy an XBOX One edition of Ultra SF 4?
And yes, a recording would be nice. I only have season 1 of KI so I'm working with a tiny roster for the moment.

2017-05-13 17:14:17

I believe you can, yes.

2017-05-13 18:06:29

Hi.
At dragomier and assault, no, sadly you can't get ultra SF 4 for xbone, the only port available is street fighter 4, this was made backwards compatible, so you can insert the sf 4 disk into the xbone or download it digitally, that's according to shuriuken.com.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-05-13 18:07:57

sfv isn't available for xbox 1. and yes recording would be nice. also i'm pretty sure tekken 7 will only be available for ps or i thought i read that someplace though i could be mistaken as i read so much shit on a daily basis.

2017-05-13 18:28:11

Oh is that right? I thought I saw the game listed on all three platforms... either way, there's no reason to go back to the original SF 4 if you have a pc that can run fighting games. Either get ultra SF 4 or SF V, and if you have Windows 10, Killer Instinct. Tekken 7 will be available on ps4, xbox1 and pc.

2017-05-13 18:43:01 (edited by pulseman45 2017-05-13 18:51:36)

@sightless kombat: I think you are right about the volumes. I mentionned on another topic how the crouching sound in Blazblue is hard to hear for example, but I guess I should turn the volume of the music down a bit more. I can't say I like that too much but I must say it sure helps in some cases.
The funny thing is, if I had to describe my most intimidating experience on a fighting game, it was without a doubt the Virtua Fighter series. The sound design is not chaotic, or at least not in the sense that was described in this thread. It's just, knowing exactly what happens in this game is somewhat hard. At least, it is not as frustrating to play as it is to simply listen. I mean, if you listen to a Virtua Fighter match at random, sometimes you won't even be sure who is hitting who. Though I have to say Virtua Fighter 5 wasn't to bad on that regard.

2017-05-13 18:54:12

Virtua Fighter has always had outdated audio... like many of the SNK games, even their latest itterations sound like games from the late 90s, which is why I don't play those often. It's very hard for sure to tell what's happening, combined with the fact that the characters don't have much personality and not a lot of dialog / voice samples recorded for them. Ah well... such is life. When a sighted fighting game player plays, graphics are a big deal... and for most of us who are blind, sound is a big deal after gameplay experience, at least for me. I can live with certain games that don't have triple A sound design if the gameplay makes up for it.

2017-05-13 19:01:27

Hi.
Yeah, tekken 7 will be available on ps, xbox and pc, if I am not mistaken it's the first tekken games for xBox and pc, as far as I know, xbox didnt have tekken games till now.
I am currently downloading ki on win 10, wanna see what that all is about, the soundtrack speaks for itself here.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-05-13 19:05:25

Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag 2 are both for xbox360.

2017-05-13 19:05:49

No, I played Tekken 6 on the 360, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is backwards compattible along with Tekken 6.

2017-05-13 21:30:33

Aha, good to know, I always mess up exclusive titles for both systems xd..
Hope that the PC port for tekken 7 will be good.
Greetings Moritz.