2017-05-08 19:26:06 (edited by Rada1 2017-05-08 19:27:25)

Hi Guys,

I don't think anyone has ever officially posted about this game so I'd like to now. Here's the official blurb.

MUME, Multi-Users in Middle-earth, is a free multiplayer roleplaying game based upon J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth that has been continuously enhanced since fall ’91.

In MUME players can explore more than 26,000 open rooms and live in this meticulously crafted world during its late Third Age, and possibly join the Epic War between the forces of the Dark Lord and the armies of the West.

It's been around for quite some time but has been constantly updated this whole time. The community is extremely active, especially right now. I've tried a lot of other Lord of the Rings MUDs but I just haven't seen anything as polished as MUME. Really would love to meet some of you guys there whether strolling the shire, hunting for food or stealing vegetables from farms, or in the chaos of battle. Please feel free to hit me up if you decide to take a peek!

As the dwarves would say, "Barak Khazad! Khazad Aimenu!!" - Durrin

2017-05-08 19:34:16

If you see Durrin online, be sure to say hi!

2017-05-08 20:01:56

hi there,
what's connection info and what kind client does support?

2017-05-08 20:54:16

Heya!

connect to mume.org port 4242

It should work with almost any MUD client but Powtty/Powwow, JMC, and zMUD are the most popular clients we use.

You can also play from the web browser.

Hit me up online!

2017-05-08 20:56:33

two things, whats the link for the web browser, and do you have a sound pack for this game

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2017-05-08 21:00:06

https://test.waba.be/mume/play/index.html

It does not have a sound pack. We do have some wicked videos with awesome soundtracks on them! big_smile

2017-05-08 21:01:44

Check out JustMUMEthings on youtube/twitter/facebook for in game jokes, commentary, and cool battles.

2017-05-09 00:24:06

I will give this a look.
I'm a huge LOTR fan, and have been looking for a rpg that takes place in middle earth for ages.  is role play enforced? 
I tried a couple others, mordormud and two towers, but they were either dead or lacking in major areas.

2017-05-09 07:28:15

Great! Looking forward to seeing you in Middle Earth!

2017-05-09 12:24:19

Hi Rada1.

Thanks for posting about middle earth mud.
Fyi, this site exists to promote games accessible to blind people using sound and text that can be read by screen reading programs which speak text allowd.

I therefore imagine youtube videos showing  displays with soundtracks would be less handy, likewise, usually with web interfaces for muds or real time games it's difficult to pick up the incoming text with a screen reading program.

On the plus side as you possibly have noticed, there are a lot of Vi mudders out there. There are a couple of Vi friendly mud clients that will output text to screen readers (vipmud from Gma games and mushclient are the top choices),  and usually accessibility in muds is  as simple as providing some ascii alternatives (especially when ascii maps are considered), and maybe a way to reduce combat text to something that can be heard and reacted to when using a screen reader in time.

I do know Muimm has had some vi players, so it wouldn't surprise me if the mud itself has some in built accessibility features already, though if you could provide details of such that would be helpful, particularly if we want to give muimm a database entry, (as we do with muds that provide accessibility fixes for players)..

For myself, being a huge Tolkien nut this definitelygood, although I probably can't try the game out for a while as I'm going to be at my parents for my dad's seventieth birthday this week and won't likely have the time for much by way of mudding.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-09 14:08:48

Hi Dark Chief Defenstrator,

The reason I posted on this site is that a bunch of my best friends in game are blind and freaking love the game. They use screen readers and there are many options in the game to make it less spammy. I wanted to post here because they have a blast with it and when I checked the "games list" on this website it was not listed.

Some of the videos are music videos and thus not super helpful, but a great deal more of them are commentary videos where what is happening is described and game strategies and helpful tips are provided.

The clients they use which are compatible with screen readers are among the ones I listed in an earlier post, I know for a fact that Powtty works.

Let me know if you have any other questions and hope to see you on there soon!

2017-05-09 17:49:03

@smoothgunner I have spoken to a few of the players and they have actually built a custom sound pack. I'll try to get them to put it up on the website if I can.

2017-05-09 18:51:20

Hi.
I played the game briefly very long time ago. I think it was back in 2007 or 2008. I remember a very annoying problem that you need to find some new gear very often. I don't remember if you need to find some gear again each time you log in, or if it was each time you died. But many things might have changed since I tried the game.
I remember the game as really awesome, but I don't remember exactly why I stopped playing. I think one of the reasons was I found it too difficult to find all my stuff again, but I' not sure.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-05-09 19:33:55

Hey,

RE SLJ: Great! We'd love to have you play again! You definitely don't lose your gear every time you log out. Your equipment is left in your corpse when you die, so you can get your equipment back then if no one else loots your corpse first. Your corpse lasts for a period of time long enough for you to run back to it and see what's left. (Often times your allies will loot your corpse and come bring you your equipment to save it from the enemy). The fighting between the forces of good and evil is fierce.

You might have lost equipment before because you just quit where ever you wanted to. If you exit out of the game without renting a room at an inn/tavern then your equipment will fall on the ground. There are "rent" spots all over Arda, and basically this is to keep people from trying to escape an enemy battle by quitting.

Usually, if you do lose your equipment, people are very willing to come to your aid and help you gear up again.

2017-05-10 00:08:18

I played the game for a few hours today.
I can confirm the players are nice.
I am now level four thanks to the player who helped me.

If I understand it correctly, the equipment gets broken and it must be fixed in a proper shop.
And after death the equipment must be recovered from the corpse.

Can someone tell me how to set Mush-z  to work properly with NVDA?
NVDA keept reading the same text twice and the text was mixed up when I used the review cursor.
I was having trouble with following what was happening and was missing things.
Trying to talk with two people simultaneously was dificult, not to mention when someone else joind in.
I am afraid some people are going to think I was rude because I noticed to late their message.
It was really frustrating.

2017-05-10 02:57:35

for NVDA and mush, you just have to load mush reader plujan, and output plujan, no review      cursor needed.
do rp is really      enforce in this mud?
and to rent an Innn when you want to logout, do you have to pay?

2017-05-10 08:08:12

@Rada1: Thanks a lot for your answer. It makes great sense. I hope to get time to play the game again soon.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-05-10 13:13:56

@luel Don't worry, the players who helped you out all understand newbies can miss some things. They're just happy you're there!

@JasonBlaze While RP is certainly fun and encouraged, it is not enforced. PVP is a big component of the game. Also yes, you do have to pay some silver or gold when you rent, but the price is usually extremely negligible unless you're much higher level and excellent equipment. Basically don't worry about rent money, you'll have enough.

2017-05-10 13:20:03 (edited by jamathe246 2017-05-12 13:51:34)

Thats awesome , Thanks guys smile , Click Here for awesome deals !!

2017-05-10 19:23:33

I think we had a bunch of you on today!

2017-05-10 19:58:25 (edited by Luel 2017-05-10 19:59:11)

I have two questions.

How to check what skills I have learned?

I ended up in Bree and want to know which city is closest or how to go back to Grey Havens.
I mean general direction.

Thanks.

2017-05-10 20:24:26

if you type practice (prac for short), it will tell you all the skills you have learned and how many practice points you have left. You can always untrain skill and move your practice points around so don't worry, your decisions aren't final.)

From Bree, if you leave by the west gate and follow the road west, you will end up at the gates of Harlond (the eastern portion of the grey havens). It's a long road, but it will take you out of Bree, though the shire, passed hobbiton, and then eventually to the Grey Havens. If you follow it further you can even end up at the Blue Mountains where Dain comes from. Following the road east from bree you will end find yourself near rivendell. I must warn you however that the road to rivendell is perilous and rivendell can only be found by someone who already knows where it is... (in other words, you need someone to lead you in there the first time)

2017-05-10 20:47:12

Thanks for the answer.

I should be able to find my way around.
I hope my bad luck for today has ended.

Good to know about the possibility to untrain skills.

2017-05-10 21:29:41

No Problem!

2017-05-10 22:06:35

How are quests in this game? Questing is a huge reason why I try out a mud, so just wondering how complex the quests are.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.