2017-04-17 18:51:24

Hi all,

Can anyone give me any air pod alternatives?    what I mean by alternatives is same style or like a clone,   the reason I ask is because I hate the in ear style ear bud versions.

I bought the apple air pods only to send them back because I honestly felt they were 100 pounds over priced for what they were, but if I can pick up a similar set for 60 to 80 pounds I would be able to swallow it.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2017-04-17 21:33:10

Hi Shrike.
I'm a little confused about what your asking. If your talking about ear-buds that you wear to listen to things, you can get regular high quality headphones for 20 or 30 usd if you don't like the ear buds. If this is what your talking about, it's ear-buds, not air pods.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-18 00:03:52

@guitarman, The Apple Airpods are wireless earbuds. I agree, they are way overpriced. If you don't want headphones, why don't you go open-ear with the Aftershokz Trekz Titanium? Those are bone conduction headphones that have a completely open-ear design, enabling you to hear them as well as the world around you. www.aftershokz.com

2017-04-18 00:33:57

Thanks Jack, I know what I'm putting my money down for in a few months then....those actually look pretty good.

Shrike, agreed the airpods are overpriced but then again, Apple...

That being said I had a wireless headset I got for what...£15 from Tesco (don't laugh....it worked great until the USB dongle got bent up and it ate batteries like no tomorrow).

If you are savvy at looking around online you can find some good deals, so if you find a dsign you like shop around, don't be prepared to pay full price.overpriec

FWIW there's some good deals out there.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-04-18 05:26:57

The Trekz Titanium is $129 but you really are getting what you pay for with these. And just remember, new technology, small company. Gotta offset the costs with that in mind. They also have a Trekz Titanium Mini for the same price, so you're not paying more or less or any  given size. Six hour battery life, voice prompts, bluetooth 4.1. Only actual criticism is that I don't like where they port the usb port. It's right near the right transducer so it's pretty uncomfortable to wear them and charge them. They could've put the buttons closer and then the usb port on the farther end. But other than that, they are really good headphones, and surprisingly impressive base for their size.

2017-04-18 05:46:09

Hi.
Oh okay, I didn't know about these things. I was a little confused when he said air pods, I thought it was some kind of misspelling.
@Shrike, forgive me, I wanted to help, I just wasn't sure what you were talking about at the time. I didn't have time to google air pods, so that was a mistake.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-18 14:16:12

They're separate wireless earbuds. To me, the concept is just motivated by money. I mean, two separate earbuds without the benefit of a headband? Imagine how easily lost those could become. They say it'll make the things comfortable, you won't even know you have them in, but what's so bad about a headband anyway. I personally think the Trekz are comfortable, but that also depends on your headsize hence why there are two sizes available , the regular and the mini, for the same price. 2 year warranty as well.

2017-04-18 18:40:32

well like I mentioned in the first post,  the main reason I sent them back was the price for what I got. Cosmetically they were perfect, my main gripe was the battery life in comparison to the price,  everytime I try to get an alternative headset they seem to be these in ear things with like rubber things on the end,   they are awful, it feels like they are pushing against my brain,  so was hopeing there was just a pair of the same style but cheaper.

If not I might have to just bite the bullet and re order them if I can't find anything else.

2017-04-18 20:27:11

Hi.
I have bought the Airpots, and I really like them. Yes, they are extremely pricy, but in my opinion, worth it, depending on what you wanna use them for.
If you are the kind of person who easily drop things, then do not buy them. You'll loose them in no time.
You need to control the volume and music playback using Siri, or do that directly from the phone. I'm not the kind of person who wanna talk to my  equipments, especially not out in the public, so I use my phone for that. For me, this is not a big deal, but a lot of people hate it, and I do understand why.
I like the battery life and the awesome charging and caring case. The battery last for like two weeks for me, depending on how much I use them. They easily fit in all kinds of pockets, not like many other headsets I've seen which is also great for me.
Yes, you can easily hear things around you, just like the Tatainium headset, I have even walked out in the trafic and used my GPS with my Airpots without any issues.
All headsets have their good and bad things. No headset is perfect. If you don't like the Airpots, then just don't get them. It's very individuel what fits your needs. I could say a lot of bad things about the Titanium headset as well. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-04-19 03:26:09

slj, you've got pots dangling from your ears? that can't be comfortable. tongue
Now, to address the origenal post. As you want an alternative to air pods, I'm assuming you also want those alternatives to do some of the stuff that air pods did. The Erato Apollo 7s have managed to do the charging case thing, one of the most convenient things the air pods had going for them imho. You'll not get the super fast pairing, or the  hole switching to mono if only one ear bud is in  features. Those features are locked behind apple'sW1 chip and headphones containing those are still pretty thin on the ground. On the other hand, if you just want wireless buds, Check out the
Soundmagic E10BT.
I've got a wired pair of these, the sound quality can't be beaten for the price and they'll go up against earbuds 3 times their price and sound just as good. The build quality is solid also. They'll also completely destroy apple pods, both wired and wireless in the music playback game.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-04-19 08:46:06

@Exodus: Have you actually tried the Airpots? If no, then you have no idea on what you're talking about. You don't get my point, so I don't see any reason for your comment on my post.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-04-19 17:05:31

of corse not! I looked at the clock, noticed it was late and went you know what'd be fun? Let's post comparisons of things you've never used on teh interwebz! To the keyboard I did go, and type I did the post you see above. Go read it now, take it all in and it should become obvious that I did in fact, Use AirPods. I have not, however managed to get my hands on apples attempt to break into the kitchen product market. Is it good? You better be able to boil eggs in them! Why are there two? Are they aimed at traveling chefs? Details man, Gimme the details! tongue

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-04-19 21:44:55

thanks for the links exodus,  the main thing I was looking for was the same type of design that fits into the ear, the head sets with the rubber buds I can't stand in my ears.

As for the air pots, sorry slj I am looking for an audio device not kitchenware,  I am actually impressed apple are branching out in homeware, whatever next.

2017-05-08 07:10:00

Since the time of my righting, this topic is still on page 1, so I shall post a reply.
SLJ, they're calling it kitchenware because you spelled it A I R P O T when it should be spelled A I R P O D. As for clones, I would just recommend buying a pair of wireless headphones. I myself am the proud owner of a pair of headphones called "Tzumi Headphones," which have your basic media keys, (volume up/down, rewind/fast forward, and the play stop/power buttons,) on the left ear, and their company logo on the right. They have a charging port and a thing to connect it to a computer headphone jack with an auxiliary cable. They're actually pretty comfortable, the headband is cushioned with fabric and there's a cushion around the ears as well. Definitely recommend it, you can purchase a pair at Walmart or Best Buy or whatever miscellaneous goods store you have in your area.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-05-08 17:43:28

Hi.
The thing is with the Airpods alternatives, they are in the same price range or above, and when they are cheaper, like the Samsung wireless headphones, you get around 1.5 hours of batterie life which was the criteria to knock it out of the ompetition for me.
If you look at models like the dash from braggi, they are more expensive and have missing features.
With the AirPods, you have good and comfortable headphones from a renound developer which actually fit your ears, have a good sound and can be paired easiely to an iOS or Mac, also android and windows work.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-05-09 13:28:27

I kept my AirPods. I am not blown away by them, but nor do I hate them or think they're terrible. I just don't understand the polarisation on either side, to be honest. Yes they are overpriced, but they have AAC and sound about as good as buds can hope to, with low enough latency and high enough clarity to be useful for phone calls and audiobooks or podcasts. Yes the form factor is nice, I suppose, but the real magic is in the separation of the pods and the compactness of the case. Also new: the ease with which the bloody things can be lost. Etc.

And I have the Aftershokz headsets, thanks, but hardly thing much of them, either. Too bloody quiet, by half. And they make my ears itch after a bit. And they leak like sin ...

Just myself, as usual.

2017-05-10 16:55:18

I ended up getting Airpods as well, and it happened around Easter. Took forever for the easter eggs to finally be shipped, but I'd have to say it's worth it. Was cool to do a Skype call on them anyways and switch devices in a couple taps without the usual iPhone 7 they were used with. They're not perfect though: I wouldn't mind at least a previous/next control, and a volume up/down would be nice though not as necessary.
Now that I think about it, why could this not be done already? They do have the "Siri Summon" trick going, why not use the tap left to go to previous track or something similar?

2017-05-10 18:13:40

Hi.
At Martin, well, you can change what the dubble Tap does in the AirPods settings, you can change it to siri control or next track.
Why they didnt put in more controls, well, I dont know, the things are to small for swiping gestures I think.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-05-11 00:42:48 (edited by pmartin 2017-05-18 21:14:32)

Indeed the option to set that double tap thing for play/pause is there in settings, nut why not do more with those fancy sensors? I'm sure the difference in which one is being tapped can be detected, as well as different number of taps. I like the lower to pause thing already there though much better for pausing since I usually only want to pause stuff if I actually have to hear something anyways.