2017-05-05 17:52:23

Okay after Xoron's mention of the mud in the five muds topic I decided to look over the initial glulx game a bit more, and indeed two of it's subsidiary games, this also lead to a complete revamp of the Flexible survival entry Read it here.
Before we go on, note that all flexible survival games and indeed the universe  their set in are very much adult, r rated, complete with fairly extreme, actually over the top descriptions of forced sexual intercourse with monstrous creatures in extremely! graphic detail, so if your uncomfortable with such turn bakck now (this is one reason I'm just providing the db entry link and not the link to the blog directly, so people will have ample opportunities to read up on the games before trying them).

Actually I'll admit myself  part of the reason I wanted to try the game was to see if I could now handle it, being that when I suffered severe genophobia I tried the single game but found it too uncomfortable.

I have not played the mud yet but have tried all three single player games, both the initial flexible survival, also  societies and the prequel flexible infection.
The prequel seems a little bare bones and mostly involved in showing off how quickly a bunch of mobs can be mutated.
Flexible societies I love the idea of, but I wish more work went into the game, for example, I coudlnt' find how to assign researchers to expand my populations pool of things like buildable buildings, likewise I don't know what could be built generally. The notes say flexible societies is basically a demonstration game, but I did wonder if there were any plans to continue work on it.

Now as to flexible survival itself. I did find I enjoyed the mechanics, however I was finding, especially when using the wiki that a few things where somewhat obscure, eg, how to get quests and such to activate, though I do like the fact that most npcs have a talk command. in particular, I was always confused as to when "explore" could be used at a given district of the city to generate random adventures around that area, or when it could be used to get somewhere else or reveal a new location, this especially became a problem when I got a quest requiring me to go and explore somewher,e like the firefighter quest.
I also found very little by way of armour and absolutely no weapons which basically meant unless I took the extra strength points at start I was screwed (literally and often). This especially happened when I ran in to that dam wyvern, who seemed to be tough as nails and was a situation that got worse as I leveled up, since levelling up seemed to give one more stat bonus but didn't necessarily increase combat stats.
Admitedly, losing in combat isn't too badd mechanically, but it could make the game  a bit futile and not in a good way. I wonder if part of this was the lack of equipment, and in particular the lack of credits, since I noticed some good items to use for credits but I never seemed to have many of them on me since it seemed if you lose in combat you lose credits.

I was rather disappointed as well that the "givein" command to give in to your infections and essentially get the ending where you lost all your sanity  fully became whatever mutant you currently were didn't seem to work.

As to the game on the hole, to be honest I do wish I could distinguish the actual story content from the shock value and grose out factor.

Really the descriptions are so absolutely  insane I couldn't take them seriously, indeed I will say comparing anything said to real love making makes the game feel rather childish, especially with the rather blatantly self done crude language, indeed I did rather wonder if the crudity factor went a bit too far since I did find it obscuring aspects of the game, eg, when I wanted an npc to just give me a quest or an objective, or be able to buy useful rpg type of stuff from and basically every npc, even when not a monster seemed to be described iin terms of whether or not I would want to use the f*ck command on them.

On the plus side, I did enjoy exploring the city, and some of the mutants in and of themselves are fairly unique, even if I did get a little weary of reading about their various attributes, I was also glad I got nvda to work with the glulx window.

So aside from that I have a  questions about the mud.

Reading the newbie guide I love the idea of crafting and combat, but there is a lot about the automap, especially in terms of jobs, actually the jobs system mentioned in other cities sounded really unique, giving you esentially gamebook adventures and mastermind puzzles to do, though it sounded very grpahical.

how necessary is! the auto map to play? Do you need it for things like missions? since it is referenced heavily in the help files.

Another thing I could not work out was to what extent many of the things you got like professions, perks and abilities were related to rp, and to what extent related to in game activities? It was hard to tell from their descriptionns, indeed on the rp front I actually liked the idea of a mud that had real character stats to rp with and even gms who would run scenes with stat checks, puzzles, fights etc.

I also wonder in mud how doable the turn based combat is, or at least how wordy.

again I do not know if I plan on playing the mud, indeed I don't know if I will continue much with the single player, since the focus on insane levels of shocking insanely sexual content did get a bit on my nurves after a while, though if I can get a bit more into the rpg side of that I might be inclined to.

Still I don't  we have had a topic that really addresses these games in detail as! games, so I thought one might be interesting to compare experiences, ---- heck maybe it might be fun to let the developer know that not all blind people are nuns or monks as most of the mainstream community think, although for myself I will say I found flexible survival a rather long way from erotic big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-05 20:17:08

Just out of interest, there is a similar style of game called corruption of champions, however I find it has much more content .  It also has a mod which adds even more content.

2017-05-05 20:20:22

I mainly started playing it because it is a text RPG and I'm always looking for those ,  then I saw some of the insane descriptions, and was curious to find out where this car crash ended  up .

2017-05-05 21:44:22

I thought corruption of champions was flash only with rather problematic buttons?

In terms of content though I can  say the say single player flexible survival has a pretty huge amount, 200 monsters, god knows how many random encounters

see http://wiki.flexiblesurvival.com/w/Ques … le_Player)
Just to get an idea.

this is one reason  appreciate some advice at getting into the game  the shock value.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-05 22:51:26

Okay guys. First of all, about flexible survival mud. The mud is unusable, rather annoying, because you get every turn a stupid line which states over 20 stupid resistances. Imagine this and a lot more in every combat round: Coldadaption 0.5, fireresistance 2, lustresistance 2.6 and so on. About coc, the best erotic game which i found along with free cities and tits.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-05-06 10:32:48

Where can I find corruption of champions? Flexible survival... I played it for a while, I kinda liked it but it got repetitive after a while. smile

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2017-05-06 12:15:48

It should be the first results to come up on a Google search, and I can't remember the address off hand.  If you download the file and use object navigation, it most definitely works .

2017-05-06 14:11:39

As regards flexible survival mud, hmmm, it seems odd there isn't a way to customize prompts or similar, perhaps having a word with the developer might help? I did wonder if someone had some more information since Xoron listed it in his top 5 muds list.

As to Corruption of champions, I will have a look at that, since I didn't try downloading the file, I just tried running it on the website, though with Flexible survival I was actualy rather more interested in the game as an rpg than the erotic end of things, indeed as I said I found it anything but erotic and actually a little irritating in it's forced crudity and rather blatant attempts to shock.

2017-05-06 14:48:24

@dark I can understand people not liking flexible survival.. It isn't a game for the faint of heart. I've playing the single and multi player verssion
for a couple of years now.. What I like about it is the lore and the heroticism. The single player isn't so much a rpg its more of a should we say
interactive history. The focus of the multi player is mostly on rp and sex. Characters don't even need to fight to raise their levels.

2017-05-06 16:14:09

Hmmm Cayo, I thought the sort of point in the single player was doing quests and getting endings to the game, aside from levelling up and obviously lots of fights where you wind up mutating into things.
that's another reason why I was wondering why the givein command didn't work where the "end now" command did, which seemed a bit strange.

With the multiplayer I'd be interested to know about some of the activities and also whether Arnold is right about the combat being very spammy or whether you need the auto map for doing jobs etc.

2017-05-06 17:21:06

I admit, that is part of the reason I enjoy these games, seeing what hilarious mutations you can get.  I skip the forced erotic stuff, as beneath that sometimes you can find some fun writing.
I believe the corruption author is working on a space based rpg like this, though how playable that is I'm not yet sure.  All I've heard is that while crazy and not for everyone, he does seem interested in actually improving the gameplay side of things.

2017-05-06 18:58:28

Woe.  I haven't played these types of things in over a year, so based on this discussion I downloaded it again .  I think I forgot just how messed up these games are! yikes

2017-05-06 20:40:03

where I can contact the developer of this game? Is there an email adress? And are the single player games still being updated, i mean the ones in glulx format or does only the web based versions still get updates?

2017-05-06 22:15:24

Trust me, this is over the top.  I play hellmoo but this is just way over the top when it comes to like some of the descriptions I will just say this, I can handle hell no problem, but this one, I literally had to step away from

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2017-05-07 12:19:55

@Niklas, yes the single player version of Flexible survival is still being updated, however I couldn't find a contact address for the creator of the game, a shame since I did have some questions.

@Tyson, Yep, I can't make any excuses the sexual is really so insane it is quite ludicrous, that is actually one reason why I do not know whether I will continue playing since while I no longer find  so uncomfortable I need to avoid or risk putting myself in a bad position (as I did when I was suffering severe genophobia), I still find them sort of a bit ridiculous in terms of being distasteful.

That is one reason I'd be interested to get into the mechanics of things and find out what else is! going on rpg wise, since there is no denying the Flexible survival single player gane does have some interesting ideas, such as it's exploration system, creation of quests etc.

I'd be interested in the mud for the same sort of potential reasons since it's certainly the only mud I've seen that offers quite the level of customization it does.

2017-05-07 12:29:34

There is a subgenre of interactive fiction called Adult Interactive Fiction or AIF for short, there's some similarities between that type of text adventure and the Flexible survival games.
The difference is usually that the eroticism plays a bigger part in the actual main plot of the game, indeed, usually the objective of the games are to end up in bed with most, if not all, of the characters you meet. Racy as that might sound though some of the games are actually really well done, BBben's crossworlds and Pervert Action series come to mind.
Problem is that a lot of these games use the Adrift file format. Now this is fine for adrift 4 and below since there's ways of running those accessibly, but especially the more recent games which also include voice actors and in-game artwork you absolutely need the adrift 5 interpreter, which sadly is very painful to use with a screen reader right now.
In my currently very limited free time I'd love to be able to make an addon for it  so that client at least automatically speaks incoming text to make things a bit more bearable, right now you literally have to use screen review at the exact right position and even then it often happens that you can only read 5 or 6 or so lines above where you actually are, making it necessary to enter a lot of bogus commands to make the output scroll to where you can read it.
Maybe there's better ways of handling this one, but I haven't found any.
For those who aren't necessarily looking for all that many RPG elements but just want IF in this genre this could be an interesting thing, especially the series I just mentioned are pretty good at plot development, its not just screwing around so to speak tongue

2017-05-07 15:04:44

I imagine that flexible survival must have to offer a lot of content, probably more than lots of other IF games since it is developed constantly since 2010 and still is getting updates. It must be incredibly huge, is this correct? I think this because I think there gets something added in the updates often.

2017-05-07 15:54:56

@Zersiax, the only experience I've had with adrift was futureboy, which came with pre packaged adrift, though as I recall that even had a sapi option with speech interrupt.
Actually I wish more if interpreters would include a decent sapi output, since the only reason that Winfrotz and Winglulx can't be played using sapi is that there is no way to interrupt incoming speech, ---- that and the fact that the glulx  menus where you have to use greaterthan to select, as happens in kerkerkruip, Flexible survival and indeed the Winglulx help  are pretty unusable with sapi.

As to if generally, I know there has been a subgenre of adult if games for a long while, but from what I understand they follow most if, being of the standard full parser, object manipulation style.

I was interested in Flexible survival because of it's rpg aspects, which as I say look pretty good and are likely even better once you get more into things than I have so far.

@Niclas, extensive updates? Heck yes. just go and have a look at the flexible survival wiki and you'll get an idea  extensive the game is, one reason why I want to get more into the game, be more successful at combat and quests and such to explore what the game has to offer on the hole. I'd actually be interested if the creator would join us on the forum to both discuss the game, and also perhaps the access in the multiplayer mud, which actually if I think wearing my games advocacy hat would probably be a good thing generally since most people don't imagine blind  have! relationships or erotic feelings.
thus far I've not found a way to contact him via email, though perhaps someone on  facebook or twitter could look at getting in touch that way.

2017-05-07 17:22:22 (edited by Niklas 2017-05-07 17:28:30)

Hmm, sounds very interesting. I tryed to find the developer on Facebook but had no results as I typed his name. How do you get informed about new updates of the game? Has it an updater or do you read the blog for the update notes? Over 7 years of developemnt is very cool and must be truly more than other IF games have to offer content wise. That's defenately on my list.
BTW: I think in the database, there's the wrong URL for flexible survival. Another thing showed up to me. And regarding the updates, if there are new ones out, how do you know if it is for the mud or for the single player games? This thing is fully new to me, but in terms of content, I could imagine that it is bigger than all CoG and hosted games tittles alltogether. So, maybe if someone found the dev on Facebook, i could write to him.

2017-05-07 18:40:27

Hmmm, sorry about that Niclas.
I assumed the homepage link was correct when it wasn't It's fixed now. You can Go here for the real homepage of the very adult game flexible survival!
In terms of content I wouldn't say that "bigger than all CoG or Hg games" or anything like that (after all some of the CoG and Hg games are pretty huge).

After  Flexible survival does work rather differently  to your usual gamebook style games with it being more of an Rpg with random encounters and need to find food and water and what not.

I would say though that it has a huge number of monsters, quests and things to explore, albeit a lot of it rather lurid in theme, one reason why I'd like to know a bit more about starting tactics since usually I wind up getting beaten up and screwed a lot, can't find weapons and don't seem to be able to earn much by wa of free credits to buy upgrades from the zephyr lab.

2017-05-07 21:19:01 (edited by Niklas 2017-05-07 21:45:21)

that sounds interesting and in an fascinating way even amazing. Especially the mix of IF, RPG with combat and such and erotic things as well. And what about the update notifications? Do you read the blog or get a notification from the game? And how do you kknow that the updates are for the single player games? BTW: What is an NPG? I realy wonder how long it might take to play through the hole game if you want to explore everything.

2017-05-07 23:51:06

Hmmm, an npg is what happens  you try to write rpg and hit the wrong letter big_smile.

As to updates, go and check the blog posts on the above  site and you'll see the frequency of updates being made, indeed I there are now several writers working on the game adding new mosnters, endings etc.

As to playing through the game, well I don't know, there are  many different endings, though I do wish the givein command would work so you could see some of the nastier ones where you mutate into different forms as well as those where you fwind up interacting with an npc which I've not got yet.
I actually wish there was some way to track things you've seen like an achievements system or similar, but then again I suppose it'd be harder to add things.
Again this is why I'd be interested to know a little more about how to get into some of the more advanced rpg areas of the game like finding extra weapons etc so that I could more easily get to some of those endings.

2017-05-07 23:51:41

hi, how do I do to run this game on my windows?
here the system says that the file is in a format that even a program you can run.
can someone help me in which program should I install to open this type of file?
I am grateful

2017-05-08 00:31:33

You need an interpreter like filfre or winglulx to play the game on your System. @Dark: Cool, i'll check it out. But, like I said I am interested only in the offline games, not in the mud. Is there a way to recognize if an update is for the offline games or for the MUD only? Or get both of them updated at the same time? Sorry for so many questions, but this one got my interest since it seems to be one of not so many IF games written in glulx wich are worked on till today constantly, so it is an interesting thing. More than one writer is even better, since this way the game can get more aspects and even new features and such, so the game can grow in different areas, with more different things to do and stuff like that. Cool.

2017-05-08 00:37:57

I believe you will need an Interactive fiction interpreter, such as win glulx, frotz, or filfer.  all of which I believe are in the archive.
there is an addon if you use NVDA which makes reading in glulx easier, though I'm not sure if you still need it as I installed it a couple of years ago.
Going back a few posts, I played hellmoo when I was younger, and disagree, as I find it far more disturbing than something as ludicrous as this.  While parts of this are messed up, I find it much easier to just have a laugh at how ridiculous the situations are, especially when something completely unexpected happens.  With hellmoo, I find that quite horrific, what with beating up orphans for xp and things.  Just my opiion though.
as I said earlier, I played for the first time in over a year, and I'd forgotten just how in your face some of this content is.  yikes