2017-05-02 06:25:18

Hello folks.
As you may know, I've been an Android user for many years. Well, for my next mobile device I thought I'd try out an iPhone 6S running iOS 10.
I've got everything all set up; I'm going to sync it with my macBook tomorrow, when I've got access to a better WiFi network.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-05-02 07:54:16

cheers on your new Iphone mate,and dare I say, welcome to a better experience. big_smile
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-05-02 08:14:44

Well I can't say much on Android since it's not a platform I've tried, but welcome to a lot of good stuff.

I would recommend downloading the voiceover tutorial from looktell to get quickly familiar with a lot of commands and basic functions by playing games, after that you can move on to of the great software available for Ios (it's got a tonne of games).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-02 12:05:16

I was on iphone, I like it but is verry restricted.
I had a jailbroken iphone 3gs and it was ok but now I am an android user for 4 years or more.
I want to get an iphone just for games.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-05-02 12:25:18

@Angel,  like a lot of things it depends upon what you want to do with it.
I really! hate ITunes and it's restrictions, so I don't bother using Ios for media. that cuts down a lot of the problems with restrictions, since basically I just use my IPhone for phone related mattersand games and aps that are native to ios and I don't need to communicate elsewhere, heck, because I don't like writing long emails with an on screen keyboard I don't tend to even use the email function much though I did set it up so games can communicate.

For portable  music and audiobooks and such I much prefer my victor stream.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-02 14:52:42 (edited by afrim 2017-05-02 14:58:38)

Hi,
I use iPhone for all it offers, from messaging, to calling, listening to music, watching videos on Youtube, E-mail-related functions, browsing the web, and even writing this post.
One of the features I like the most is Braille Screen Input, which makes typing absolutely faster and it really helps in conversations on Messenger, particularly. I quite don't understand what people mean by restriction on the iPhone, after all, it is a mobile phone, not an experimenting device where you can put all the sort of data you can think, install everything that can possibly be installed, and play with any of your device's components to your liking. iPhone gives you the opportunity to work with what is necessary in daily basis, such as texting/messaging, calling, music, photography, video, opening documents of various formats, and you can comfortably read books on your iPhone if you like. Plus it is free from viruses and spyware or any other type of malware that affect negatively your device.

@Blindcool, here is a very important topic with the same subject. It was posted by me, and it was when I got my first iPhone. Nearly a year and a half ago it was I believe.
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18137

2017-05-06 01:08:00

When people talk about restrictions of the IOS platform, what is generally meant is that it's unnecessarily hard to work with your files in a reasonable fashion, unless you jailbreak. While many people make peace with this major shortcoming of Apple's file system, it can be irritating at times. And for some, it's a dealbreaker. I do feel that Apple lulls less tech savvy users into a false sense of security with this approach; after all, the average user thinks, "yay, no viruses!" when, theoretically, it can and most likely will happen at some point. And when it does, it will have a much more devastating effect on a wider array of users, simply because being caught off guard doesn't give you time to put up any sort of defenses. While some people will sneer at the Windows and Android platforms because they historically get hit by more viruses, I would argue that at least the media coverage, overblown and inaccurate though it may be at times, does at least allow people to know what they're up against, no matter what their level of technical skill is. Even the most ignorant among us know the terms fishing, zero day vulnerability, and ransomware, simply because they've been covered in the news. Whether they really understand them is a whole other topic.

As for buying an IPhone just to play games on, I think it would make more sense to buy an IPod Touch for that purpose. It will save you a bunch of money in the long run, and most of the apps that run on an IPhone or IPad will run on the Touch as well.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-05-06 13:02:53

@turtlepower, for me "restriction" simply means no ability to work with my own files and folders, or even to work with files I get! on the IPhone, since iTunes is such a grabby monster, only wants it's own organizational structure (which is hell if you have eclectic musical tastes and don't buy in to all the artest, album genre rubbish), is near impossible to get out any files I actually have from ITunes, ---- oh and is a bloated mess to actually work with.

I tried using my IPhone as a media device for playing audiobooks and music for about two years, and it was such a struggle having to go through the tree of doom, create playlists, copy this and that etc, (and even then things may play in the wrong order).
compare this to my victor stream where I just bang in the usb and copy whatever folders I want straight across and they'll keep exactly the file names and structure I've given them on my hd.

There is no earthly reason the IPhone could not! use a usb file storage system and basically just let you browse files, even if it's ability to open certain file types was limited, accept that then, horror of horrors, you might listen to music or audio that you'd not! purchiced from Apple and the fat cats might not get their percentage, one reason why if you import or buy something into it's so difficult to get it out again.

That is quite aside from ITunes  being a pretty cruddy interface for accessibility with it's trees of doom and lack of customization, indeed it's only as accessible as it is on mac  Vo is programmed to only read certain portions of the screen. It was when  apple killed the side bar headings in ITunes 12 that was I finally decided I had had enough and bought my Victor stream instead).

This is why I would never recommend the IPhone as a media  device myself.

I am not sure how document handling works, I do know my brother uses ms word and documents to go on his IPhone, though since I'd have to  carry my Bluetooth keyboard around with me for that to work it's not something I've looked into much, ditto with emails, I  these days probably far faster typing than I ever was in braille, so things like braille keyboards etc aren't something I've looked into either. Plus

In the matter of documents, I will also admit I prefer myself to make my own backups on an external hd than trust too much to cloud storage, indeed the only thing I use Icloud for is for backing up my phone and contact data because it's preferable to tangling with ITunes.

For some reason, net browsing with vo is something that always seems to be a bit odd, in the way it says images, in the way it interacts with controls like list boxes etc.
for example I recall when I tried vo on the front of audiogames.net, instead of having the dropdown box with all the games on it as a dropdown I could enter, they were all present as links for me to flip through, which was a bit crazy. The way it reads images was also a bit nuts (I once tried playing core exiles with it). I('ll admit it is odd, since in html pages within programs such as the Cog and Hosted games or Apple's user guides Vo is %100 fine, though even there I will confess I sometimes miss the convenience of hot key navigation as it is far quicker to just hit b to get to buttons on a page than need to turn the rotor and flick down.

Then again I haven't seriously tried the internet with vo since my desktop broke back in 2014, so it's possible that things have improved, heck I do know the  bug where I couldn't click on the "submit" button on this forum must be fixed, ---- that one I did actually report to Apple.

in general I tend to agree with Afrim that I like my phone for the things the phone does, running games and other great programs like blindsquare, ---- phoning people and making text messages too, but I wouldn't want to try to use a phone for all of the things I'd want a laptop for, eg, web browsing, emails, writing long documents, working on this site etc, heck, even shuffling around with the books on my Victor.

This why I'll probably be arranging a windows 10 laptop at some point in the near future.

2017-05-06 15:07:43

I'm with @turtlepower17; media consumption doesn't have to be altogether bad on the iPhone or any other
iOS device if you have the patience.  Realistically the greatest problem is in fact, one of false sense of security; because less people use Apple devices it is assumed that you will see less viruses and malware, much as it would be the case if you moved into a neighborhood with less people.  You would tend to assume that if you had less neighbors you might have less chances of your house being broken into.  the truth is that with every single user you have one more chance of your iOS device being hacked, as is the case with any windows or Android device.
That having been said, Apple does sandbox you in more than other companies and in such a manner lets you focus more on what you want to do with your device rather than focussing on what your device can do for you.  Coppying music to iTunes is as simple as pasting it into your "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder and opening the iTunes software; if you don't like the order, tell Siri to do something about it.  Apple music seems really nice from all I've seen of it; I have yet to try it myself but will do so in future just because because.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-05-07 08:21:43

Well, in terms of media consumption, itunes is not a nightmare if you get used to, and this may also depend on what you use itunes for. I wouldn't consider buying music from Apple Music or itunes Store provided that I can download it from youtube or any other free website which hosts music. It cannot be considered illegal cause everyone, after all, is doing it and there does not seem to exist any measure from authorities to stop this activity. We also have cds and music collections which we've gathered through the years; for example I had a very nice collection of 70s and 80s' music, (around 700 songs) which I sadly lost when my computer was formatted and I forgot to place them in the right harddrive. There were the most prominent songs from Italian, English and any other famous band of that time. I do really miss them and most of the songs I remembered I  needed to redownload.
As I was briefly trying to say, itunes is not a great deal if you learn to use it, cause if you don't you might end up spending all day figuring out where is the problem. I forgot, for example, to tick the box "sink music to this iPhone" and that got me all day looking into all that can be possibly looked in itunes. Then I checked my iPhone if any setting needed to be changed, and  after nothing was solved, I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling itunes. But this was not the end, itunes didn't work even after I had reinstalled it. But I read a dedicated tutorial on transfering files between PC and iPhone. There I learned that if you want to have anything onto your iPhone through your computer, you first need to tick the type of files you want to be transfered pertaining each one to a specific category. After all this, I faced no further issues and now I can simply paste all the files of different formats into a folder known as "Automatically ad to itunes" and all I need to do is plug my iPhone to my computer and open itunes if it doesn't get opened itself. I have now all the music, documents, notes, videos, and books I love on my iPhone, and this is not a dream, it is simply ones patience to learn how the processes work. Lazy to deal with it? Well, quite a lot of alternatives exist out there which you can consider. The same thing stands true even for other features of iPhone. If you learn to use a service such as web browsing, typing in Braille which I find a truly genious idea on a 4 to 4.7 inch touchscreen device, you can work with them and there will be no obsticals preventing you from using them in aid of your needs.

2017-05-07 11:47:46

I'll beg to differ on ITunes I'm afraid Afrim, I found it a right pain in the arse, and as you pointed out the restrictions to buy stuff from Apple are rather blatant, I prefer getting my music from other sources and having the files so I can play them on whatever device I like and index them in whatever way I like.

In the end I just found ITunes far more trouble than it was worth and actually am relieved to do without it.

With web browsing though, it actually is rather odd since I have no problem using vo on other html pages, but just found a lot of the ways it displays information were a little inconvenient, for example when looking at an image link like the thumbs up karma links on this site, it seemed vo reported it as both an image, then as the alt text, then as the link, meaning three swipes to go through which was rather weerd. Compare this to the way most screen readers will either just report the text or at most say something like "graphic thumbs up" and have it as one tab.

I also did miss things like instant one letter navigation to heading, button etc, though admittedly that is something I could get used to, and indeed have got used to in games like voyageur.

I if I had my Bluetooth keyboard around a little more often it's something I'd probably look into slightly more, though for me these days I'm  far faster typing than using braille.

Of course though the one thing we come back to is  software and programs. Indeed I suspect were it not for the abundant level of software available I'd have never bothered with an IPhone in the first place, however everything from unique games, to sat nav, identification aps and fun stuff, I'll also say I'm a big fan of siri and find it very useful for a lot of little things, for rexample if Mrs. Dark wants to know whether she should wear a cote or not if we go out, or when I was going to the states to visit Mrs. Dark's sister and wanted a fairly exact exchange rate into dollars. It's also very convenient for phoning or sending text messages via dictation.

Heck, I had great fun at the airport while I was waiting for Mrs. Dark to arrive last year by guessing what cities the planes were landing at,  and asking siri if I didn't know ehre a given city was big_smile.

Actually that is one way in which Ios is miles beyond windows, and I suspect the same is true on mac, since my efforts to get Cortana to accept a mike so I could try the same things have been a dismal failure.

2017-05-07 18:49:26

Hi.
Can I use for games or can I install apps from appstore on an iphone 3gs with ios 4.1 and jailbreack?
I got it from my aunt and it is not my primar phone.
Any help how to use it as an ipod touch or something?

2017-05-08 03:39:25

Hi.
Angel, I'm afraid you're device won't be able to install apps from the app store until you get a newer phone like an iPhone 6 and newer, since most games and apps are not compatible with iOS 4 anymore.

2017-05-08 10:15:05

Hi to all.
Or can install all apps from sidia or something?

2017-05-08 10:50:43

hi,
well, let's say android is more for the experimental people, and ios more for the secure people, since ios is way more secure then android is.
@dark, iTunes is doable on mac and windows, i use it reguarly myself, although i have to atmit that the windows version is less accessible.
@blindncool Congrats for your new iPhone. If you want to know how to get started with your iPhone and voiceover look at:
www.applevis.com
. There are many tips, and the comunity is very helpful.
big_smile

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2017-05-09 18:59:14

Hi.
I have android as my primar phone and I am not an experimental man on my phone.
Just I want to listen to music normaly on my phone and I want more free apps like on android.
And with my last question, can I instal for example crafting kingdom from kidia?

2017-05-09 21:16:34 (edited by Exodus 2017-05-09 21:20:20)

I'd argue that people who trumpet out the line but ios is more secure than android Ad nauseam are, in fact making it less so. It discourages good security practices and promotes lasyness. Why should you have to check the permitions of 101 funny cat pics lolz... It's running on ios! The most secure OS ever ever! everyone says so! It must be all right, it's on the app store... right? Contrast this with android, where your in charge and you find out that the app; 101 funny cat pics lolz needs access to the microphone, dialer and your contacts. On finding this out, you immediately get rid of the thing and scan your device, checking for nasty leftovers. Life goes on, your phone as safe as it can be once more. While 101 funny cat pics lolz gets the free run of apple's walled garden for however long it takes someone, somewhere within apple to realise that they screwed up. So next time you heare someone trumpeting the virtue of iOS security, ignore them. Security still lies with us, the users of these devices.

at blindncool, enjoy plugging whatever headphones you want into that iPhone, Treat it well. Its the last phone that apple put out, besides the SE before they drowned in a sea of their own stupidity and greed.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-05-10 11:04:21

"at blindncool, enjoy plugging whatever headphones you want into that iPhone, Treat it well. Its the last phone that apple put out, besides the SE before they drowned in a sea of their own stupidity and greed."

You will see more and more phones without the 3.5mm jack coming, and they are not only from Apple. Therefore it is plane ignorant to say that only Apple does this. . In fact, before the iPhone 7 was launched, there are already manufacturer that made their phones without today's standard audio jack. USB-C audio specification is out and they might become the future for audio, replacing the decade old jack.

2017-05-10 19:48:24

Yeah, it's not the end of the world if they did away with the 3.5 MM headphone jak. I will buy the iPhone 7, 8, 9, 10, and will treat them in the exactly same way I am treating the beloved iPhone 6 I currently own. I'll stick myself to the iPhone, for it is the only smartphone I can feel confident with in terms of accessibility.

2017-05-11 02:45:14

I still think removing the audio jack was the worst idea ever... Like it works great and even better than bluetooth at times. If it’s not broke don't fix it. In the future it might be moving more wireless but I'm living in the present not 5 10 years from now.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-05-17 16:58:12

It could be unexpected that lace entrance hairpieces with regard to dark for women who live turn into a extremely popular fashion and look for girls of most parts of society. A big part of that Cheap Wigs
is because of popular tendencies collection simply by celebs to achieve that Wigs For Women superstar appear.

A lot of women who will be followers Human Hair Wigs
involving celebrities desire to imitate that same fashion yet at reasonable prices. This type of type of curly hair and elegance is truly encouraged with the superstars.

Nevertheless, that is not the only explanation Wigs For Women they've grow to be quite popular. Regarding stars and those that are certainly not celebrities, sporting the appearance of ribbons the front hair pieces regarding black females is only a matter of ease since they are user friendly, very easy to lift off and straightforward Wigs to maintain. These types of hairpieces are not since unpleasant as using extension cables and provides the particular false impression how the locks are actually developing Wigs
directly from the crown.

2017-05-17 16:59:17

It could be unexpected that lace entrance hairpieces with regard to dark for women who live turn into a extremely popular fashion and look for girls of most parts of society. A big part of that Cheap Wigs
is because of popular tendencies collection simply by celebs to achieve that Wigs For Women superstar appear.

A lot of women who will be followers Human Hair Wigs
involving celebrities desire to imitate that same fashion yet at reasonable prices. This type of type of curly hair and elegance is truly encouraged with the superstars.

Nevertheless, that is not the only explanation Wigs For Women they've grow to be quite popular. Regarding stars and those that are certainly not celebrities, sporting the appearance of ribbons the front hair pieces regarding black females is only a matter of ease since they are user friendly, very easy to lift off and straightforward Wigs to maintain. These types of hairpieces are not since unpleasant as using extension cables and provides the particular false impression how the locks are actually developing Wigs
directly from the crown.

2017-05-17 17:00:43

It may be astonishing that will wide lace top wigs regarding black ladies have turned into a extremely popular design to see females of walks of life. A large part of the Human Hair Wigs
is due to well-known styles arranged simply by celebrities to do this Divatress Wigs celeb look.

A lot of women who are fans Wigs
associated with celebrities desire to emulate that very same style yet at a reasonable cost. This specific type of head of hair and magnificence is really motivated with the stars.

Even so, that's not the sole purpose Wigs they have become so popular. Regarding celebs and people who usually are not celebs, wearing the perception of ribbons the front wigs pertaining to african american women is simply a few convenience since they are user friendly, simple to remove and simple Wigs to keep up. Most of these hair pieces are not as painful since making use of plug-ins and present the actual false impression how the tresses are actually growing Wigs For Women
completely from the scalp.

2017-05-17 17:02:20

It might be astonishing in which wide lace top top wigs with regard to dark-colored ladies have turned into a very well liked style to see girls of parts of society. A big part of these Wigs
is because of common styles set by superstars to do this Wigs celebrity look.

Women who will be fans Wigs
involving celebs desire to replicate that same style yet at a reasonable cost. This type of kind of locks and magnificence is actually motivated with the stars.

Nonetheless, that is not the only real purpose Human Hair Wigs they have got turn out to be very popular. Regarding stars and those who usually are not celebrities, putting on the perception of ribbons entrance hair pieces for dark girls is simply a few benefit as is also easy to use, easy to remove as well as simple Wigs For Women to take care of. Most of these hairpieces aren't because distressing because making use of exts and present the particular false impression that the tresses are actually developing Human Hair Wigs
straight from the particular scalp.

2017-05-17 17:03:51

It may be surprising which wide lace top the front hair pieces pertaining to black women have be a extremely popular type to see girls of most walks of life. A big part of that Cheap Wigs
is because of well-liked developments set by simply celebs to do this Wigs For Black Women celeb seem.

Many women who are followers Wigs
of celebrities want to emulate that very same fashion nevertheless at an affordable price. This particular form of head of hair and type is really motivated by the stars.

Nevertheless, that's not the one purpose Cheap Wigs they've turn into so well received. Regarding stars and those who usually are not celebs, donning the perception of wide lace top front hairpieces regarding dark-colored women is simply matter of benefit as they are simple to use, an easy task to take off and simple Wigs to keep up. Most of these wigs usually are not since painful while utilizing extension cables and give the particular false impression the tresses are really increasing Wigs
straight from your crown.