2017-05-02 22:32:26 (edited by magurp244 2017-05-02 22:32:56)

For those who may have an interest in spaaace, NASA's [Cassini-Huygens Orbiter] is the 4th probe sent to Saturn and the first to enter orbit starting in 2004 and continuing to this day. However, due to dwindling fuel supplies its entering its "Grand Finale" phase where it is engaging in ever increasingly risky passes through the gap between Saturns inner ring to maximize collection of useful data before intentionally diving it into Saturns atmosphere on September 15, 2017, ostensibly to mitigate the risk of the probe colliding with and contaminating one of Saturn's moons.

Posted yesterday were some audio and spectrogram recordings of data collected by Cassini's Radio and Plasma Wave Science instruments as it crossed the plane of Saturn's rings on two separate orbits (the ring plane crossing in the second video happens around the 37 second mark). You can read more about it and listen to the audio of the two passes [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-05-03 04:42:15

Hi Magurp.
Thanks for posting this! I love things like this, but I didn't know where to find it. I love Sci-Fi (mostly novels) and this has increased my interest in science.
Thhank you very much for sharing this, you got a thumbs-up from me!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-05-03 06:21:07 (edited by magurp244 2017-05-03 06:22:10)

I've been meaning to share some of the interesting science stuff that pops up in my feeds now and then for awhile now, usually from places like Gizmodo or Arstechnica, though NASA's blog also posts some cool stuff from their various probes, telescopes, and rovers.

You could also check out [SpaceX's] youtube channel, they livestream their Falcon 9 rocket launches and landing attempts which you can watch replays of, just recently they successfully launched a spy satelite. Later this summer they're planning the maiden test launch of the new Falcon Heavy rocket which uses two Falcon 9's as boosters and they'll be attempting to land all 3 simultaneously, it should be quite exciting to see if they can pull it off.

2017-05-05 05:34:27

I'm rather underwhelmed by those sounds actually... I was expecting something a bit more... haunting, if you know what I mean.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-05-05 07:10:32

Yeah, sometimes science can seem pretty banal. But its not so much the sounds themselves so much as how they were made and where they are from that makes it facinating. Having said that though, these were just two recordings of Cassini crossing Saturns Belts, there are other recordings collected by Cassini from Saturn itself that you may find more interesting. I've dug up a bunch of the other tracks and i'll be posting them in a bit.