2009-12-15 19:36:53

I got a new computer a little while ago. Everything works fine except the f-keys. When I press F1 I hear the sound that means that a device has been disconnected. F2 opens the enable/disable lan and f3 opens the battery meter and so on. To be able to use the keys for reall I have to hold down the Function key or whatever and then press the other key. That can be a little tricky for example if I want to exit JAWS wich is insert+f4. It is hard to reach to the F-key wich is located next to the control key, the f4 key, wich is located at the top near the centre of the keyboard and Insert, wich is at the top almost all the way to the right. I have got problems when I want to use the regular keys for functions in jaws. For example the F-key and the Dash key would activate the PC cursor. That doesn't work at all. Is there a way to "unreverse" the reversed function keys?

I live to crochet!

2009-12-15 21:14:22

I don't know about reversing those, but I can help with the closing off Jaws thing. Enable laptop layout and for most purposes caps lock works as insert.

As to Jaws cursor, well the numpad layout on laptops is a little quirky. Turn on keyboard help mode and try a few options. Normally 7,8,9 act as themselves with u i o acting as 4, 5, 6 and so on. The numpad minus will be somewhere else, or you can use the laptop commands. Dash is normally Jaws cursor not PC by the way, plus is PC.

caps and p, jaws cursor
caps and [, route jaws to PC
caps and ;, PC cursor

Hope that helps a little.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-12-16 22:54:48

Hi,
What model is the laptop? I recently got a Dell netbook, and had the same issues that your having. After doing a bit of looking around, I uncovered a program in my start menu called function keys. After that, it was just a case of unchecking a checkbox, then my keys were ok.

2009-12-17 00:29:11

I'd also check your keyboard, sinse I've noticed many keyboards have random extra keys and crazy programmable key things, ---- also check the control panel under keyboard just in case some sort of function lock is operating.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-12-17 02:56:20

The caps-lock thing worked! I have a dell mini something and I actually have that function keys thing on the programs menu. Right now it only says "fnkeys.exe" something abou a dll, but i'll do some research about that. Apearantly it's a DLL file that isn't there or working.

I live to crochet!