2017-04-28 16:46:46

This is a continuation of the usb mike topic which seems to have disappeared for some odd reason.

Okay, thanks to pitermach and my dad I have the mike set as default device, on the recording pagehowever I'm still getting absolutely northing from Cortana and voice recorder still complains I don't have a mike setup.

I've tried both setting the usb mike as default device and default communications device but nothing either way, ---- I haven't even touched skype yet, since as I recall skype was an arse even when the mike was! setup.

Any help would be much appreciated, and god knows where the previous topic went, maybe windows 10 has a new function which deletes any topics cryticising it big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-28 19:44:37

Dark,
I just got a USB headset with microphone last Wednesday.
Sometimes USB devices have to be pulled out and inserted a second time to get them set up.
When I plugged it in, Windows said downloading device drivers but not through the headset but through my computer speakers.
Then the headset headphones turned on and my computer voice came through them.
I needed to check the volume of the headset and microphone so I went to control pannel, sound, and recording for the microphone.
I noticed I had two microphones.
I checked the first and it said set for default.
That meant the second one was the default.
I arrowed down to the second one and tabbed to properties
That is where I found it to be set at 85 percent.
I increased it to 100 percent.
Before exiting I hit space on the okay button.
I recorded my voice using the chat room software to find out the volume.
Hope this helps.

I

2017-04-28 19:59:29

Hi Phil.

Under audio recording I have several mikes listed, line in, sterrio mix for example. I have set the usb mike to be the default.
I checked the volume under properties  it was at %91, I set it to %100 just in case, but it is still as if the dam thing isn't plugged in, no response from Cortana, voice recorder still complaining at me that I need to setup a mike in settings.

I know the mike is at least getting power from the computer and recognized since it's listed in usb and it has a red light on showing that it has power flowing through it, also as I said in the now vanished mike topic, when I initially plugged it in before I changed over the playback  usb became the default playback device and I got no sound, however other than muting my computer the mike not responded at all so far.

I will confess I am getting a wee bit frustrated at this point.

stupid windows! plug and play my foot! (or indeed my less reputable body parts).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-29 01:53:45

Dark, What USB microphone is this? Also, have you gone into the communications tab of your sound settings and setting the radio button there to "do nothing"? That setting shouldn't affect recording, only playback, Its goal is to reduce sound volume when in a VOIP call so that the call is louder than your system, but I've had bad experience with it and I don't like having audio levels change anyway, so I turn it off.

I have never, ever had a plug-and-play device have the issues you describe. Not even on Win10. Perhaps you are misunderstanding something and the device isn't truly plug-and-play. From what I understand, plug-and-play devices don't need any special drivers, they can work fine, and or are designed, for Windows generic USB host drivers. If the device says something about downloading drivers, it's possible it might be grabbing its own third-party drivers from an external source. If that's the case, then any problems you have are likely down to the third party driver and its compatibility with your system. Unfortunately if there is a problem, there's not much you can do unless that driver gets fixed.

I had this experience when I got a Yeti Pro microphone, which needed its own drivers. These drivers had to be manually installed. It worked fine for a while, but suffered from some glitches. Given the fact that this is supposed to be a fairly good mic with high resolution recording, and that was the reason it needed its own driver in the first place, I found these glitches unacceptable. After unplugging, re-plugging, and trying a myriad of things to troubleshoot, it stopped working completely. I reported this to the manufacturer, in this case Blue Microphones, and from what I remember, they more or less said that their drivers have only been verified up to XP. I was on Win7 at the time. I had to return it for a refund.

I've found the easiest way to test for problems is to use the "listen to this device feature" of Windows. If you go to the same place where you set your headset microphone level, there is a listen tab in that dialog as well. Check the listen to this device box and then in the list, you can select what device the audio will be sent through. You should probably pick your speakers here. Then hit apply and if all is well, you should hear your headset microphone over your speakers. 99 percent of the time, this is what I use to diagnose audio problems. Either that or my preferred audio editor like Gold Wave, Reaper, etc. But anything will work so long as it can record and play, and isn't overly fussy about working with audio devices.

Skype can be a bit of a pain about audio devices, especially in situations where you're trying to use stereo mix over Skype, which I often do when trying to show somebody something. There are ways around it but it's tricky. For microphone use, I've yet to have issue. It is a little finicky at times when trying to configure audio devices, but I can help you with that if needed. It's not hard.

Hope you eventually figure it out. Maybe it's worth contacting the manufacturer if you continue to have problems. I know it might just be a waste of time in the end but it's worth a try, especially if you're getting frustrated because simply nothing seems to work.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-04-29 07:51:22

@Raygrote, I was assured it was plug and play when I bought it and it definitely came with no driver disks or software, neither is it doing anything, indeed I was told it was the most popular stand mike sold by maplins, which is a large electronics shop over here, though the staff did know what they are doing.
Unfortunately they didn't tell me the exact make of the mike, I just asked them for a stand alone desk mike and they sold me the one that was most popular and that the man in the shop himself had tried.

I did see the communication tab and set windows not to mute sounds since I thought that was why the mike was muting the computer when I started but that has done no good.

Skype I haven't even tried with as yet since I can't even get voice recorder to work, and Skype I recall was a pain in the rear to set the mike for even when the mike itself was working with windows, indeed I probably wouldn't have tried this accept that my lady wanted a mike to run skype with her windows 7 machine and thought I'd try one at the same time (hers is plugged in right now and set as default but whether it is actually working I don't know).

Frankly microphones have always been stupid, I recall having similar issues on my old xp machine when I tried skype in 2009, one reason why when my mike broke I never bothered  it or setting up skype again since I didn't want the hassle.
I might ring maplins today and see what they have to say, but I'm disappointed that windows 10 is no better than xp for this, and something which was supposed to be plug and play is being such an arse.

Edit: okay The good news is I have got that alert out of voice recorder since it turns out I need to enable the microphone in settings and now I get the voice recorder controls.
The bad news is still bugger all from the mike! it's enabled in settings, the usb microphone is set as the default mike, I've played around with the volume, but not a flicker.

I did check the driver page, and it's using the standard generic usb audio device driver. I tried the update driver wizard just in case and I have the latest driver, so it's not that.
Any other suggestions?

2017-04-29 12:19:54

Dark,
I don't use voice recorder because of it's stupid settings.
I think you have to specify a sound format and recording length before it will work.
I use Gold Wave, Team Talk and Studio Recorder from American Printing House, but it is still very expensive but I think has a demo mode to try it out.

2017-04-29 13:01:55

@Phil I was just using voice recorder to try the mike out to see if it was working before I attempted to use it with skype or anything else. Though oddly enough voice recorder is recording, or at least when I hit start recording it starts recording and I can play back that recording, there is just nothing in it.

it doesn't seem to be working in Cortana or speech recognition setup either, I get "the computer cannot hear you clearly" indeed right now I'm still not sure this damthing is even working.
It's apparently a prosound stand mike at least according to my dad reading the lable, ---- maybe that is why, you need to get a pro to get any sound on the stupid thing!

2017-04-29 20:01:14

Dark,
I think the microphone is busted, damaged, malfunctioning.
I would take it back to the store and demand a refund and get another brand just to be safe.
I'm very hard on headsets and it's usually the microphone part that quits first.
My last microphone lasted 9 months.
I tend to buy cheep sets, but one time I bought an expensive set and it didn't last any longer.
I have to assume the computer isn't a laptop that you could take to the store and have them install the microphone.
But if you do have a laptop with a USB port, you could take that one to the store just to try the mike out.

2017-04-30 11:37:27

aa, dark, windows 10 is abit tricky when it comes to this. i suggest you look up the drivers for the mike and install it manually since windows 10 isn't the best thing when it comes to setting up USB mikes or headsets

2017-04-30 15:07:02

@sito, I did go to the drivers page and was told I had the most updated driver, indeed the mike uses the generic driver.
Sadly I don't have a laptop or similar, and to honest if you need to set the thing to always use the same usb, setting the mike up on a laptop wouldn't help.

when I can be bothered I might try setting up skype, though as I recall on xp skype was rather finicky to setup when the mike was working.

Right now I'm just sick of the hole thing and sorry I wasted my time and money since I have essentially bought thirty quids worth of desk ornament.

2017-05-01 00:47:51

Dark,
But the store must have a USB laptop to test it out.
It could be the plug end of the microphone is defective, or the female USB port on your computer  is damaged.

2017-05-01 01:33:38 (edited by musicalman 2017-05-01 01:35:14)

Honestly if you ask me, I'd say the microphone itself is defective. I don't really trust computer stores anymore, as I've gotten things defective. I once bought a 6TB WD My Book drive. When I picked it up from the store which I will not name, it was just in a box with a little cellophane wrapped around the drive, and maybe a little enclosure to hold it in the box. It wasn't wrapped in something soft and shock-absorbent, and this worried me a bit. But I just wanted a nice huge drive that I could sit down and just let run, and use for backup as well as a storage tank. It wasn't meant to be moved around, so maybe the poor packaging job wouldn't harm anything. Got home, plugged it in, Windows didn't recognize it on either of my machines. Eventually it did work, but only after an hour or so of being plugged in, so I didn't trust it. Instead of messing with the store I bought it from, I called WD directly, and after hearing of my situation, they replaced the drive. The tech support rep was quite surprised that I was having this issue, and was also pleasantly accommodating as well to my needs as a blind PC user. The replacement drive was also a little finicky, but it eventually worked without issue, and has worked flawlessly on the new machine I got since then.

Several years ago I had a similar experience with cheap headphones. They fell apart as soon as I got them home and out of the box. So my trust for such places is lowering. Almost everything I need now, I buy online. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to be more successful that way. In the case of microphones, I'd just look up different things on Youtube and listen to people use the mics. That's how I've made a lot of my computer mic choices. I don't know much about desk microphones, but now that you mention them, it might be fun looking into them.

If I were you, I'd return your microphone, as setup shouldn't be this difficult. I've used countless microphones on all of my machines and haven't had a single problem with any of them, besides the one I told above with my Yeti Pro. And that was clearly a manufacture driver issue.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-05-01 12:54:01

dark, the generic drivers aren't the drivers for the mike. that's the drivers from microsoft and they aren't always reliable so i suggest you go to the manufacturer's website and get the drivers for your mike from there. that should solve it

2017-05-01 13:39:49

I'm not sure if the mike is defective, I'd be surprised since maplins are a good make and this was a recommendation, in fact that is why I choose to buy things from a real live human who knows what they are doing rather than guessing from online reviews.
I don't think it's the usb lead or a bad connection or similar since the usb is fine, it is connected, the mike is receiving power from the computer, everything checks out. I am sure there is a setting somewhere, but god knows what it is.

My lady also has a mike of the same model which I have tried and got exactly the same result, ---- or lack of result.

I have checked on google and there are no prosound mike drivers, and I've asked maplins where I bought the thing and they had no direct advice other than to try setting with skype rather than windows, which I might do when I can actually be bothered with the thing. My lady has a friend who is a professional sound engineer and we'll probably ask him.

Right now I just conclude that unless you buy a crappy sounding official Microsoft headset mike, windows 10 microphone support is broken.

Really I should just have stuck with my Rowland r09. It may be about 12 years old and only able to make mp3 recordings through it's tiny sterrio mikes, but hell it works! which is more than can be said windows 10.