2017-04-29 07:21:08 (edited by Caccio72 2017-04-30 03:50:06)

Greetings, it's me again, the "oh so annoying", excentric, veteran gamer Caccio!

This is a sheer "out of curiosity-type" forum-topic, which I created with a primary intention, to find out more about Your, other VIP-gamer's taste, meaning priorities and expectations regarding game-MUDs.

So please, feel free to post Your personal top 5 list of game-MUDs here, along with the main reasons for Your each choice.

In order to make this initial post shorter, I shall name only the "pros", and skip the "contras" for my decisions.

So my top 5 MUD list is currently the following:

1. Clok
Reasons: in order to avoid my long praises of this MUD, please read my regarding post, which is under number 65, in my previous forum-topic called "Quests, quests, quests...", here in the general forums.
2. Miriani
Reasons: The largest number of regular, active players, and quite often organized events, making the gameplay feel "alive and kicking", and the best, most sophisticated soundpack, at least of those I discovered so far. Hundreds of stores, with very detailed items and alternatives.
3. Prometheus
Reasons: An easy, but still very diverse game, with a small, but quite friendly community. Hundreds of stores, with very detailed items and alternatives. Has the largest "help archive", with the best functioning system of "help" files I found so far.
4. Cosmic Rage
Reasons: A large variety of featured activities, in an interesting, sympathic enviroment. A quite large regular player-base.
5, Materia Magica
Reasons: A vast game-map to explore, with a large variety of creatures, monsters to fight. A friendly community.

2017-04-29 08:57:34

Hay, good topic.

I will list my top five in no particular order, though of course with the caveat that I am still trying muds out and have more to investigate, both for the db and for personal preference.

1: Alteraeon. The more games I try the more I respect alteraeon.
Combat that is interesting and gives you lots of abilities to play with rather than just typing "kill" and wailing away, lots of items preparations, very well written zones and quests that even reward you for exploring.
This is of course quite aside from the soundpack which virtually makes it a full audio rpg.

2: Cosmic rage: many great activities, a friendly player base and frequent updates, also great to see a space world not dominated by pvp. The soundpack is good too.

3: Frandom: probably the most unique mud for advancement being that killing means nothing in this game, huge amounts to discover and a beautifully described world with a very rich and coherent history and law, not to mention very friendly admins and other players.
4: Clok: still the best for craftingand exploring and a realistic experience, I particularly love theand survival in this one, with the many activities that you can learn and master.

5: The sadly departed Wayfar1444: I feel a little bad listing a mud that is no longer around, but it's a dam shame since I spent many happy hours here setting up my space colony, exploring the randomly generated planets and building literally everything! from camp fires to trucks (I never quite got to build my own starship but I was almost there).
Also an actually sensible remort system that it was possible to progress through rather easily and get rewards from.
I dam well hope the game comes back up.

Others I have tried (ie, played for long enough to get into and have a basic idea what they are about), and some brief thoughts:

Aardwolf: A quick and easy pick up and play game, great for sudden bursts of fighting and instant autoquests where advancement is fairly rapid (albeit there is a long way to advance). Particularly nice for shortcutting a lot of things like needing to minimax equipment or hunt around for mobs,  freeing you up to sit back and enjoy the descriptions and the carnage.

Area goals however are rather unfair in this one and autoquests can paul after a while.

Erion: Like aardwolf but with more coherent zones, far fewer players, actually more interesting and unique combat, as well as a host of little extras from events to random item drops to player run house organizations with different styles and competitions keep things interesting.
The only really major problem with erion is that advancement is rather slow, unless you constantly play in hardcore mode.
more missions are being added to the game though,, so this is probably one to watch.

Classic six dragons: Quests are really good here and area sdescriptions and theme is great. Combat is also more interesting since you tend to get fewer techniques and spells that matter, but make more difference, there is even crafting.
The only problem with six dragons is again, advancement is a little slow.
Oh and it has a good soundpack too.

7th plane: A great mud for systems and exploring, especially you pretty much njeed to find everything yourself. I just really! wish there were more descriptions.

4dimentions: wonderful crafting, beautifully written zones, and a veryand unique fun theme.
Only problem is quests are reeeeeeeeally obscure, and other players aren't particularly good about sharing information about them. Combat isn't as fun in this one, since your techniques and spells don't do as much, (though ranged combat is rather fun), however this is a game more about the questing and exploring, in particular the crafting is wonderful and a great way to advance without getting board with monster murder.

Fluxworld: Again, this is rather like frandom and a game with virtually no combat. The theme and setting is wonderfully unique, being set on an alien planet in the future, you can simply wander about and explore and poke your nose into things.
However actually finding thingsdo, either quests, crafting activities or whatever seemed a little difficult, meaning this one is more like being tourist than playing a game (though some of the in built puzzles are fun, ever fancied playing human mine sweeper?).

MAteriamagica: Wonderful random wilderness map and exploring, and some unique races and classes. Combat seemed a bit long winded, but on the plus side things like elemental effects, different weapon types and attacks etc looked fun to play with.
The only really major problem I had in this one was that finding stuff to do was very! difficult being that when I played at the time, generated quests from an official quest giver were time locked and marks, aka, quests you discover from npcs were  capped, meaning you could literally level yourself out of doing stuff.
This meant either you had to spend a lot of time playing with an open wiki, or wander around at random hoping to stumble upon things, neither of which really appealed, though in fairness I believe some of these tendencies have changed more recently.

Star conquest: Amazingly written setting,  beautiful descriptions and great theme. One problem? Super spammy, impossible to do withyout mjajor rescripting combat (and a dev team who forbid rescripting). Not to mention the fact that basically if you end up losing your spaceship your told to literally go and beg other players since there is nothing else you can do, ---- sorry but I really! didn't like this game, so much promise, and such a disappointing experience.

Cyber assault: interesting theme, good story and some unique sounding activities, being a cyber future themed mud. The problem I found was very spammy combat and little by way of changes for screen reader users.
it is worth noting though that I was rather more a novice at muds back then and either I might have missed something about  setting or other options, or the game might have changed.

Avalon the legend lives: I know I've been throwing around the term "beautiful descriptions" here a lot, but Avalon is simply a work of art, I particularly like the way you notice more of the world and more things described depending upon your character.
The problem I found is absolutely everything! after newbie school is dependent upon other players.
This means you can't just go off and explore since you don't even know how to stop yourself starving, but need to wait for someone be online enough to explain and help you out.

The mud has help files, very very extensive help, but the help is so! complete it's dam difficult to know where to start, indeed the help spends so much time telling you how much there is generally to do in the game, is actually hard to get specific info.

I really! want to like Avalona game with this amount of detail and this clear amount of work is planely a work of love, but I've tried three times to get into more of the game beyond the newbie academy, and each time utterly failed.

it's not even that other players are unfriendly, it's just that when you ask for help they tend to point to the help files, which as I said aren't specific, --- eg, they will tell you to do the equipment badgeand offer to help[ you with that, and even give you ltos of items they've made, but not how to begin earning money in the game or really where you can go and what to do.

I'm genuinely sorry about this since Avalon is like  gorgeous feast behind a glass wall, I'm sure it would be awesome if I could get through that glass!

Diskworld: Again a very similar problem to Avalon, though other players there were far less friendly.
I do the newbie tutorial then spend my time wandering anchemorpork with nothing else to do but fight street ravens.
Help indicates lots of activities and quests, and even a system of learning by doing rather than by distributing xp, but no idea how to start any of them.
I was particularly disappointed that so many colourful characters from terry Pratchett's books such as corporal knobs or Moist Von Lipwig were just window dressing and weren't possible to interact with.

I'd say that is all muds I've played seriously enough to actually comment on.
Others like the now vanished project bob, promethius, lament, luminary, 3 kingdoms, cleft of dimentions or lensmoor I just never really got far enough to say anything concrete about. Epitaff I found the combat too spammy to even get through the tutorial  (though I think that got fixed), and indeed Empire mud I was putoff after the first hour when trying to setup my empire by probably the least friendly player base and creator ever! though to be fair the game is in a new version now and it's possible the issue I had with finding land in a very crowded world to start building no longer is a problem.

Hay, this turned into more of a rant than I expected big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-29 14:36:17

Mine are:
1. Clok: some people probably think I'm some kind of advertiser for this mud already, lol. I'm actually not the advertiser of any mud. I really and truly love it. It's one of very few  place in the world I can feel my free spirit flow, can see my imagination grow, and can see my fictional characters have lives out of my own books.
2. Cyber Assault: of all hack and slash mud, I have to debate between alter and this one, and decide which I should choose. I love the two quite as much, but Ca draws me in better in terms of randomness. And can you imagine leveling possessed melee weapons to make them stronger? Craft brilliant stuffs and have them as strong as your enhanced self? Have fantasy, futuristic and modern taste mixed in one mud which is not necessary quest-based? If there was random eq system on ca, I would have loved it even more.
3. Frandum: the best single player mud ever. Sure it gets me scratch my head a billion times over everything, from something simple, bug, to one heck of many things a simple mind can't think of. Or it could be just something that makes sense but I miss because of one single word I forgot to notice...but that's what I like about it. The admins are awesome too.
4. Alter Aeon: already mentioned. I play it on and off, and lose motivation after a while. But I always get back and play again after that while passes. It's always like that.
5. Epitaph: if my university internet didn't block its port, or if the devs decided to open another for me, it would have been better. This mud could be an extreme fuss, but it has its own uniqueness, and I wish to see more of this type of post apocalyptic stuff around, easier to access and have as awesome features and contents as this mud.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-04-29 15:29:36 (edited by Caccio72 2017-04-29 15:46:15)

Greetings Mata, it's a very pleasent surprise for me, to encounter a gamer with so similar attitude to mine, meaning our comments and opinions about Clok MUD at the 1st place!

It seems, there are luckily still some of us left, who prefer, and value total freedom of actions, by supporting independent choices and decisions in games, while generally disapproving all types of restrictions and limitations in them.

Way to go brother (or sister) gamer, cheers!!!

2017-04-29 15:45:26

My top five, in no particular order--I've been playing muds for about 12+ years now...

1. Medievia - I haven't played this one in quite a while, but that doesn't mean I don't like the gameplay and systems. A unique death system that makes it possible to not lose anything, a trade system and ship system with the concept of mobfactions to keep groups on their feet, and a pretty active playerbase, still, make this mud a worthy game to play.
2. Cosmic Rage - It's a space game clone, but it's a worthy space game clone with a variety of activities you won't find anywhere else. However, some systems are almost identical to other games, E.G. Space Combat. It's the one I'm playing currently.
3. Frandum - Is there even another singleplayer MUD? This is the only one I know of, and I like it because it feels like I'm playing a console RPG with the amount of detail it has.
4. GateWay MUD - This is one I haven't played in a while, but I do like its guilds, quests--when I can find them, and unique guild abilities.
5. StarMud - Hack and Slash Scifi MUD with interesting guilds--Perhaps CyberAssault is better now that that's around.

2017-04-29 18:13:54

I do not have a top 5 but I like:
1: Cosmic rage: it is the best space game ful with activities.
2: Alteraeon It is good but I do not know how to play completely.
3: I like Valhala.
This is the top 3 for now but I will continue later.
And offtopic but with this post I am a bisnis monkey.
smile

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-04-29 18:37:44

Hmmm, what is interesting here for me is learning about muds I've never heard of.
When I tried epitaff the amount of info in combat made even the tutorial nearly impossible to get through since I kept missing tutorial messages, though I did hear that got fixed.
Likewise, cyber assault is a game I tried back in 2011 or so and found the combat rather spammy. Again I believe this got fixed, plus when I tried I didn't know much about setting prompts or the like.

I do also recall not particularly liking the writing in the game, with the amount of recommendations I've heard I probably ought to give the game another chance.

Star mud is one I've never heard of Orin, but it's interesting you mention medeivia.

Way back in 2008 or so I remember someone raving about the game. When I got vipmud up in 2010 I very briefly tried it out, but whenever I looked at the help in the game things seemed so heavily ascii text orientated with no way around I wasn't sure on what to do where and never got back to the gameafter the first day.

I also recall some sort of controversy about the game and admins being unfair to players in some way, but again since I only heard this second hand I can't confirm, and the help with the randomly generating dungeons and locations and the trading system and such seemed really awesome, indeed nott exactly like other muds I've seen despite a fairly standard dicu like codebase and some less than unique classes and races.

I just checked and the medeivia website is still up, though a brief search of the help files stil didn't reveal anything about ascii alternatives.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-29 18:48:36

Haven't tried, unfortunately, so many muds yet, only a few... So in fact I have four, but one of them is written on my native language, and I am not sure if that I'll post here about it people could be agree with me.
Well 1 is: Alter Aeon, of corse! An awsome game, very interesting quests and jobs, the amount of marvelous zones just makes me crazy. Yes simply, I love it. big_smile Also here I am totally agree with Dark, meaning about soundpack etc.
2 and 3... My mind seems to be overloaded, I like Prometheus, but due to the fact that some bad things there started to happen, and am not talking about server crashes in particular... Thinking about Cosmic Rage too, even though before I wasn't so happy with it, maybe just cause didn't understand how to play and saddly I had no friends there for helping me. But things got changed, I'd try this game long time ago but unfortunately vip mud doesn't work on my pc, so waiting for another pack, hope it will be mush one. big_smile
For now I'm done, and if someone has some suggestions I'd be happy to hear them: I'd like to play something new and I'm trying to find it, but for now no success.

Sincerely yours... Lucy.

2017-04-29 18:55:33

Hi Luciana.
I can help you on cosmic rage.
If you have skype send me a pm or an email forum.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-04-29 19:24:14

I'd love to be guided through expiermenting mud games, I have already heard of them sufficiently enough, but I never had the possibility to try one nor knowing from where to start.

2017-04-29 22:12:31 (edited by Caccio72 2017-04-29 22:19:55)

Sorry for not holding myself directly to my own topic, but since it's generally still about MUDs, I shall grab the chance and ask you people, who are mostly probably far more experienced MUDders than myself, this following, for me very important question:

Do You happen to know about any futuristic, space-based MUD (like Prometheus, Miriani, or even Cosmic Rage), which has neither a leveling up progressing system, nor a main story-line with its obligatory quests, resulting in no limitations, or restrictions caused by those?
So basically I mean an MUD with a similar game-mechanics to Clok, but in a futuristic space-enviroment and ambience.

An MUD with the theme of Prometheus, but with the game-mechanics of Clok, would actually be the 100% perfect game-solution for me! (or we can even call it "my dream-game)

Pretty please, if any of You can, do help me find that perfect, "dream-MUD" for myself!

2017-04-30 05:29:31

Post 4 means to me a lot man, thanks caccio. That's exactly why I stick to Clok and never seem to want to go rp anywhere else.
Anyway it seems that the only soundpack mentioned is Alter Aeon. There are actually lots of muds with packs out there, some of them being good. I still have a bit to do for Cyber Assault pack before re-releasing the pack again.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-04-30 06:44:50 (edited by Xvordan 2017-04-30 06:46:55)

I enjoy varying types of muds, but few of them will be pure roleplay. With that in mind, here are my top 5, picking one from each general playstyle.

1. Godwars 2: For pure mechanics and breadth of character building and control detail, it's hard to beat Godwars 2. Every strike you land is voluntary, there is no automatic combat aside from the generic newbie autoscript put in place for convenience (which essentially just performs the techniques you yourself could better select anyway). There are no rooms to speak of, aside from buildings place hither and thither; GW2 is built on a coordinate system, with areas that take up actual world terf.

2. Dark Legacy: The extensive crafting, character, and exploration variations and opportunities of DL can't really be written about -- one has to experience it all to under stand how awesome this mud *could* be. I say could be, because it has sadly gone downhill in the player base department, along with developmental stagnation. What is there, though, is amazing, if you can overlook typos and minor bugs which probably won't ever be addressed. The world is expansive, it comes with a screen reader friendly mode to help navigate the world map, and has a feature list that I won't even attempt to enumerate.

3. Epitaph: An awesome zombie appocalypse mud with a deep crafting and questing system, this mud makes extensive use of MXL to format text and provide a click-friendly interface. You can click on npc's to interact, or stick to traditional command-line typing. Yet another mud which I can't justify by any attempt to summarize it. Suffice it to say that it will provide you hours of fun and creativity.

4. Flexible Survival: If you don't mind some extreme adult themes, Flexible Survival is a very unique mud which also has a single-player version. The game is a post-appocalyptic exploration of mutations gone rampant, and that's just scratching the surface.

5. Anime Planet: This mud will have you grinding for ages to maximize your character, be it a Saiyan or a Senshi, a Faerie or a Moogle. Multiple types of quests, class abilities, and racial evolutions with their own requirements set this mud apart from others, and there are numerous powerful mobs for you to test your might against.

Spill chuck you spots!

2017-04-30 09:23:00 (edited by Caccio72 2017-04-30 09:45:27)

Hey Dark, I hope you read all these lists of MUDs, quite a few of them is not even included into the current, (obviously out of date), game-database of this site yet!

For now, God Wars 2 and Epitaff seem the most inviting to me, so they are the next ones I intend to try out.

While as for you dear Dark, I guess it's high time to do some game-database updating, huh?
I hope you won't get me wrong, it's definitely not my intention to mock or provoke you, I just regret not being informed about the existence of those MUDs sooner, I could have spared a significant amount of time, spent searching for the suitable ones for my, so sophisticated expectations.

Edit:
It seems it was worth starting this forum-topic after all...

2017-04-30 12:02:06

Epitaph sounds interesting for me, also decided to try Clok. And thanks Dragos, I will, when I will be able to access this game: as I said before I can't get vip working on my pc.

Sincerely yours... Lucy.

2017-04-30 12:55:26

@Luciana
hey there, are your pc's local set to russian?
if that's the case, I think vipmud can't run/working properly on another local, you have to change it to english, or use local emulator:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6e30bg4p6quq … 2.zip?dl=0
I am not sure if that's   would work or not big_smile
just ask around if you don't know how to use that software.

2017-04-30 14:20:01

@Caccio, if your intention is not to provoke then please do not use provocative words such as "out of date"

First, the database is not intended to include every mud in existence.
if you just want to look through muds I suggest you visit
http://www.mudconnect.com/index.html

and look at their index there.

The database entries are intended to point people in the direction of those muds which specifically make allowances for use of screen readers, new muds get added to the database as staff try them out, but as you've observed yourself there is a great deal out there to play and write about, and of course there are far more game types out there than just muds.

This is why in fact we have a forum for people to share recommendations just as is happening in this topic.

Speaking of recommendations, I was actually discouraged from trying godwars 2 by several people on the audeasy list, who said that the game had been out of active development for a very long time and was now basically full of bot players, plus from what I read from the website the game seemed very heavy on the pvp which is less my interest.

Anime planet is honestly a mud I've never heard of myself.

2017-04-30 16:30:54 (edited by Caccio72 2017-04-30 16:49:05)

Dark, I am afraid I fail at following you, you got me quite confused about this MUD-matter.
Namely, you just wrote, that the MUDs listed on this site are those, which are adopted to screen-reader usage, so does that mean that those, which are not in this database are not?
Or they may still be screen-reader friendly as well, just were not added to the list here yet? (maybe due not being tested by any staff-member of this site so far)
This information is quite important to me, since I am just about trying out some of them.

You were always nice, polite, and above all, very helpful to me, (my sincere respect and gratitude for that), so I can assure you, it was by no means my intention to offend you in any way, the excuse I can come up with is, that although I do speak and wright english totally fluently, it's still not my mother tongue, so I wasn't aware that the expression "out of date" initially sounds offensive, sorry, please accept my appology for it!

I also apologise in a so called "pre-emptive way", if you will feel offended by my following, repeated appeal again, but as an always straight and honest man, I just feel the urge to state it here:
In case those mentioned MUDS in this thread, which have not yet been added to the database of this website, are also screen-reader friendly or adopted, yes, they really should be added to it, ASAP. (normally, only after being tested by you, or some other audiogames.net staff-member)

My best regards, and hope for no hard feelings, my intentions are good, sorry if I fail to express them in a proper-enough way!

Caccio
from Hungary

2017-04-30 17:37:30

Hi Caccio.

apology accepted, I can actually see where the  confusion arose since generally describing something as "out of date" in English does imply that it is obsolete or no further use. The expression comes from groceries such as  meat or dairy products that have a "sell by" date on them and will be spoiled or inedible after that date.

As to your question it's an easy answer as you'll see on The game genres page the muds we include are those with screen reader friendly adaptations specifically.

though the vast majority of muds just have text output, many use things that make life difficult with a screen reader.
Extensive use of ascii mapping or decorations, (medeivia used lots of these for example), use of coloured text or extensive punctuation markers to indicate in game events, inconvenient ways of formatting or presenting information such as player titles or numbers, and probably most critically text that is either too extensive or too quick to be easily understood and reacted to with a screen reader, (this was the trouble with star Conquest and at least at the time I tried them Cyber assault and epitaff though those last two I believe have since vastly improved in this area).

many muds of course have adaptations for these things. Clok for example you will notice has an alternative to the coloured text used to indicate people in chat channels and a wiki page with directions to relevant places,
materiamagica has a coordinates system and "where am I" commands to replace ascii mapping.
while promethius if I remember rightly has several ways of making sure you get the relevant information in ship combat without having to listen to lots of spam.

Muds without these adaptations aren't exactly unplayable (especially if your prepared to do a lot of client side scripting to do things like setup spam filters), but they aren't accessible out of the box so to speak.

This is why the site only includes pages for muds that have these adaptations, though that isn't to say you shouldn't try something else, indeed a good way to get! a mud to be more screen reader friendly is to play it and talk nicely to the devs, (I did this myself in Wayfar1444, Erion and 4dimensions).

As to whether other screen reader friendly muds will get db pages, the answer is yes, ---- eventually! however as with all db updates these things take time (especially since each mud needs a deal of playing before something coherent can be written about it), and there aren't many of us, not to mention the fact that all the staff are unpaid volunteers.

This is another reason I find the recommendations in this topic interesting and why I'm asking about games like medeivia and their ascii.

2017-04-30 17:43:45

ohh,i'm a chinese player,so,i list i can play and more details.
1,miriani,why number 1 is miriani?because good RP,really,ooc is not support for the chat,and you can the most into a pilot life,not all people is good or bad,free pvp,but i'm not a bad pilot for stranding,destroying other pilots ship,but,you have to defense for life.
and,really,good VIP mud sound pack,more than 90%,you have to enter command,yes,but this is like an audiogame.
2,cosmic rage,again,RP,good RP,and most person is good,have good host and good person,you don't have to PVP,no stranding or something,and,many thing can do,finily,diffrent sector system and jump system.
3,promo,this game no many player,and server not so good,but,the easy space system and status system.but you are free,really,and explore space is easy to do.
4,alter aeon,most blind mud player know this,and play this,this game is good,but,i can not play mud with out starship and space,because,the map is too big,i can not find quest thing and complete it,i can not make a whole world in my head.
5,the CA,a dark world,but,same up,i ca not find i need thing to do something.the system is good.so,no more details about this.
finily,star conquest,extra to say this,my english is bad,can not write a profile,but this mud descriptiion is good.

2017-04-30 18:19:45

Cyber Assault honestly should be added. It has everything set, even toggle for screen reader, and it's of course playable even without soundpack...whatever you say Dark, whatever you say.

2017-04-30 19:29:05

Thanks for all the explanations Dark, I perfectly understand, and agree with your point, meaning the one about the listed MUDs on this website.

So, after settling this little misunderstanding in a friendly manner, back to my wish to find a futuristic, space-based MUD, which has a similar game mechanics to Clok, (no restrictions, no limitations due a leveling up system, or main story-line with its obligatory quests), and with the theme of Prometheus. (that poor MUD is indeed having serious troubles, its server is really down more and more often, I sincerely feel sorry for it)

Any suggestions of such an MUD then?

2017-04-30 19:59:22

@Mata, Having read this topic I am thinking of giving Cyber assault another go since it does have a good legacy in the community, ---- of course there are lots of muds I need to try, but right now I think I'm in the mood for a break from the usual fantasy setting.

Back in 2011  so when I asked on the audeasy mailing list (where one member is a major player of the gameI was told the game had no screen reader friendly settings and if I was finding combat spammy it was my own fault for not using my client properly and not writing my own scripts, needless to say that wasn't exactly encouraging.

I also recall not particularly liking the theme of the game when I tried it, one reason I didn't persist more than I had, but again I don't know if this was to do with the fact that I wasn't in a particularly cheerful frame of mind when I tried the game, odds are I'd be in a position to enjoy things rather more now.

@Caccio, I don't know about something space based, but there are a couple of cyberpunk games around that might be what your looking for.
The first is a mud recently recommended in the new releases room in This topic by the name of cybersphere.
it apparently has various activities, and extensive roleplaying in a cyberpunk world, and is not based on qusts or the usual progression through monster murder.
What I couldn't determine from the topic is to what extent the the games' activities actually involve doing things within the game, and to what extent they exist primarily unrestricted rp between players and their writing, or to use technical language whether or not the game is a mud or a mush (a heavily rp orientated mud with few to no actual mechanics and everything via textual roleplay). Still you might want to give it a look.

The other is Syndome

This again is cyberpunk, though looking at the website I can say this one definitely has stats and activities to follow and is heavily rp orientated.
It did get good voting on mud connector, though then again how much this is an indication of quality I don't know (poor frandom gets very few votes and yet the game is awesome).

2017-05-01 07:55:20 (edited by Mirage 2020-12-18 12:19:32)

My Top Five

1. Cosmic Rage - What doesn't this mud have? So many activities for leveling that you could never get bored. Crafting. Building and design of your own home from level 1. Customization forever!

2. Avalon RPG
The writing and description on this Mud are incredible! I could go on there and just read for days!

3. Clok
I had a ton of fun on this one, just for all the crafting and realism.

4. Cthulhu Mud
An H.P. Lovecraft-themed Mud. Need I say more? I'm just sad the player base seems to have disappeared completely.

5. tie between Alteraeon and Materia Magica
These two have a lot of depth, great soundpacks, and I keep returning to them, no matter what others I play.

2017-05-01 08:18:18 (edited by mata 2017-05-01 08:25:42)

*this post is not for the easily perverted.
And finally Dark spelled my name right! Lol just kidding. It was "marta" all the previous times lol.
Anyway I'm glad you open your mind to try Ca again. It's a great mud, I rank it as great as Alter if you're into it. The theme is kinda weird, but fun in its own way. The community isn't overly polite, but it's so far the only, really only mud I've never seen drama at all in my whole 3 years of playing. We just have "fracking fun" there.
And even though there's an area like "the best little whorehouse in Dixie" (which I think came from "the best little whorehouse in texus", it's far, far less dirty than say, flexible survival or hellmoo. At least we don't have "fuck" system that you just go and make the best unit on earth by doing that all day, rofl. I'm not even kidding! The best way to gain credit in Hellmoo is by "fucking"