2017-04-24 20:38:27

Hi. I love audiogames, but I'd also like to find a career in the industry that lets me have both fun and money. I am a talented writer, though I'm not a programmer, but I'd like to learn. If anyone can give me some advice on getting a career started in the industry, I'd like to hear from you.

Role-play? Simulation? Strategy? Throw it at me! I'm all ears for the games!

2017-04-24 23:06:51

Hello LadyJuliette.
Well there aren't many jobs like that because there's not much money to be made in the audiogames market. You could be an alpha or beta tester, but you don't get paid for that usually. Not unless the developer has money to burn. Your best bet is to become a developer yourself. This is actually not as hard as it sounds. Since your a beginner I would suggest starting out with python. You can start by reading this book for beginner's . Programming languages all depend on your preference. If you don't like python you can learn another language. You can go to this site to read more about python and how it works. I would suggest getting python 2 because there are more packages to use. Of course you don't have to worry about that right now. If you like everything new try python 3. It's good but still a little buggy. Read through learn python the hard way and follow instructions. It worked for me but it might be different for you. Once you know the basics of python, you can easily learn how to make your own games. Also be sure to read the python manual, that comes included when you install python. If you do all this you should have a good idea of how programming works.
You could also try bgt which was made for beginners but bgt is not as easy as it seems at first. Plus I've noticed that when developers get more experience they realize that bgt has it's limitations. There are a whole lot of programming languages out there look around and find one that's easy for you and that you enjoy. I recommended python because it's very simple to use, but also very powerful once you get more advanced.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-24 23:56:50

If I had the money, I'd almost certainly have something along the lines of what you're talking about available.
A popular thing to do these days, if one can keep consistent and frequent output, to publish fiction, blogs, videos, music, etc, and create a patrion for financial support from your audience. This is probably not worth much money, but it's the main way creative types who are either getting started, or not breaking into the bigger markets Ofor  whatever reason, get something for their work.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-04-25 20:14:21

audiogames aren't necessarily marketable at this point, but it seems that in indie dev disabled gaming is growing more popular, from what I've heard, so it might be a good idea to do a hybrid indie-audio game like me and Joseph Westhouse are doing. That would probably be your best bet.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-04-25 23:20:58

If your strength is in writing, you could try going for the Interactive Fiction genre. The common tools like Twine and Renpy aren't all that screen reader friendly though, but you could get buy with HTML or another language easily enough. If your also interested in the industry at large you could check out [Gamasutra], or [Tigsource] as well.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-04-26 23:08:09

Hello LadyJuliette.
I'm working myself on becoming an audiogame developer. I'm not quite ready to start making anything huge yet, but while I'm learning I keep coming up with ideas.
I'm a huge fan of a very old show called unsolved mysteries. I had an idea to do a game that has some elements of the show in it. Since the show is no longer available anywhere, I wanted to do a tribute to it. You mentioned you are a talented writer. Will you please read this and this and tell me how you would take these two unrelated stories, tie them together so that they make sense, then give a fictional solution so that it all comes together? You don't have to come up with anything concrete, just throw me some ideas. If you do a good job, and I get to the point where I need a team, I would definitely consider you.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-28 08:01:21

@Lady Juliette, If your tallents are in writing, I suggest having a look at choiceofgames and considering games using their choice script language, Their website is here and you can find tutorials on choice script there.

I'm not sure if you could make enough to actually live on, but you could write your games with a pretty good parser and get them sold successfully.
They would be utterly %100 accessible to audiogamers, but would be released to the general public too, you might even get a headstart on a writing career that way as well.

Btw, I, ---- and likely Sander and Richard too are probably the closest thing we have to people who work full time in the audiogames industry, indeed I tend to consider what I do for this site as a job, or at least as voluntary work.

It's actually listed on my Uk benefits application as part time volunteering, one reason I try my best with db updates etc.

Sander was kind enough to say he'd like to pay me, but the game accessibility special interest group doesn't have the cash.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-28 11:47:25

(Audiogames.net should start a Patrion. Then we can pay you. tongue. But what sorts of perks could audiogames.net offer? Headphones with a joystick attached? T-Shirts? My dad has a T-shirt company... I dunno if <mumble mumble international trade law>.)
(Ooh! You know what would be cool? If someone sold harddrives with all the audiogames on them. Or maybe one of those tiny laptops with as many as will fit installed, and everything else trimmed so that it isn't weighed down with anything else, plus USB mouse. Sure, people could just download everything themselves, but this would save the need for searching or worrying about broken links or dependencies, and it would avoid using up the user's own diskspace. And if deals could be struck with commercial developers, there's that, too. Like how Nintendo and Sega put out collections of their classic games, which subsequently sell like hotcakes, even though you can buy/emulate most of them yourself.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.