I recently decided to try out standard ArchLinux in a VM, because I have an old pc which I'm considering installing some flavor of Linux on. However, after installing Arch and restarting, speakup doesn't start after bootup and I get beeps when I try to type in a command.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

Thumbs up

Hmm? Is it installed correctly? If yyeah, try the following: press enter and type your password or enter, user name enter password enter

Raduvay se, raduvay
Raduvay se domaki ne
Kolko liste po gorach
Tolko zdrave na taz kyshcha

Thumbs up

Did you install using the TalkingArch image?
Did you install all extra packages, alsa-utils, espeakup, etc?
Did you save the ALSA state to /var/lib/alsa/asound.state before restarting?
HTH.

Thumbs up

Yes, I used the talking arch image. I think I saved the sound state but I'm not quite sure. I did use StormDragon's arch vm creation script, which does that automatically (I think).

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

Thumbs up