2017-04-21 00:21:43

This is a random topic but...I figured I'd throw it out there.

I'm a writer and I've been working on and off on my NaNoWriMo entry for a while for November, but I'm in a rut writing wise, anyone care to critque my writing and offer feedback and/or stuff bout my style?

Figured I'd ask this here since there's people who write well in posts tongue

Oh, also, by the way, I think I need a better word processor on here, Wordpad just don't cut it....open to ideas for free stuff, I got OpenOffice on here but it won't play nice with W10. I could fire up a VM and do my writing in Libra but too much work...

Draco

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-04-21 01:03:18 (edited by Guitarman 2017-04-21 01:06:57)

Hi Draco.
I would be happy to check out your work. I love novels, and from years of good reading, I know what a good novel is supposed to read like. I have a question though. If I read it, do you want me to be honest with you? I mean, if I think it's good I'll tell you, but if I think it's a piece of garbage, would you like me to tell you that? I know some people can't take criticism, so I was just wondering if you're one of those people. I'll pm you my email address, so you can send me the novel. I guess the pm option has been disabled so I sent you a forum email. Personally, criticism works well for me, it helps me do better at whatever I'm doing.
Sorry I can't help you with free word processors, I use notepad for things I'm writing. If you have the time linux has a couple of free word processors, GEdit, and I forget what the other one is. I haven't used them, but their supposed to be a very good word processor
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-21 01:09:38

Honest feedback is the best type of feedback, so yes. please, by all means feedback away

Also on Linux natively

2017-04-21 01:22:38

Well since I can't get to that email currently, got skype or anything similar?

Also on Linux natively

2017-04-21 01:35:12

Nope. I'll just post my address here [email protected] you can get ahold of me that way.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2017-04-21 01:42:48

I'm looking through writing course stuff but it doesn't click with what I want though

Also on Linux natively

2017-04-21 03:53:32

Hi.
Okay. What exactly do you want that's not in a writing course?

Guitarman.

2017-04-21 14:04:16

Have you listened to Writing Excuses? The emphasis is on Science Fiction and Fantasy, but most of the early episodes are applicable to writing in general.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-04-21 14:39:23

Not found a reliable source for that honestly, the ones I ound were such awful quality audio wise I gave up on them or they didn't download fully....but I'll try again.

Also on Linux natively

2017-04-21 14:40:47

Guitarman wrote:

Hi.
Okay. What exactly do you want that's not in a writing course?

As in, I feel like, and I felt the same way learning an instrument, it's rigid and you HAVE to do it this way and this way and this way and you get marked down points if you deviate from what the course wants you to write like, or play like in the case of an instrument.

Then again, I did take English in college so maybe that's coloring my perception of it mind...

Also on Linux natively

2017-04-21 17:52:41

Draco,
I suggest checking out some books on writing from BookShare.
Writing Without a Parachute: The Art of Freefall
by Barbara Turner-Vesselago
shows both beginning and
experienced writers how to get the thinking mind to step aside, so that
writing
becomes truly creative - a vulnerable and open-hearted engagement with the
moment.
1. Write what comes up for you
2. Don't change anything
3. Give all the sensuous detail
4. Go where the energy is.
5. If autobiographical, The Ten-Year Rule:
if it's more than
ten years old, it will be more resonant than will recent material.