2017-04-17 04:53:33

@Shotgunshell, One part of having a guide dog is indeed making going places generally easier, and whatever your doing now odds are you'll be going more places later when you finish school etc, though learning to take care of yourself is indeed a necessity.

@Afrim, I think on average retrievers tend to more lazy than labs, my mum has a lab who is postiviely hyper energetic, heck she's ten and still behaves like a puppy, including racing up and down stairs etc.
This is one reason why in Britain guide dogs match the personality of the dog to the owner and his/her lifestyle, since while breeds tend to have roughly equal each dog is different themselves.

With several dog breeds it is not specifically the intelligence of the dog which is the problem, it's other things. I know my bull terrier, though a lovely dog would've been no use as a guide dog since if she saw another dog she'd have you up a tree.

Then again they're experimenting with breeds all the time, I did hear in the Uk they tried out st. bernards at one stage.

It's a shame though that the infrastructure and attitudes in Albania are so dire as regards guide dogs.

I will say publicity is one of the main things the guide dogs association does a lot of over here, programs on tv, radio etc, indeed I've frequently run into people who do fund raising for guide dogs in the street who nearly always want to talk to Reever :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-18 16:02:59 (edited by afrim 2017-04-18 21:10:18)

@Dark, I think the intelligence of dogs has to do a little with the purpose they are used for, and what tasks they are bred to carry out.
For example, a Dachshund, which is mainly a hunting small and midsized dog is trained only to hunt and dig to search for its target. If, for instance, I leave my Dachshund alone in my garden, he will open a hall roughly bigger than his body.
Then there are guardian dogs like Kangals or Caucasian Ovcharca, quite giant breeds that do a wonderful job at guarding. But I don't think they could be suitable for guiding.
St. Bernards as far as I know are more appropriate for researching. For example, they can recognise and take people out of frozen snow, and they will be truly masters at these tasks.
One breed I think would be appropriate for guiding is the Border Collie. It is considered to be the most intelligent dog in the world and it is not either large or tiny.

I wouldn't like to begin talking about the infrastructure here in Albania because it will lead to discussion after discussion. It is very poor, and it won't even promise you to walk with a cane, even in the capital which seems to be a little bit more developed than other cities.
I have to go with my mum everyday to university because I don't think I could reach it safe and sound on my own. As I said in the previous post, the emancipation of people towards people with disabilities is incredibly low. No, I wouldn't say discrimination, but rather a primitive mentality which tells them that these people need someone to assist and they cannot do on their own.
Publicity would help here quite a lot, but we need people who can seriously work on these matters since our politicians are terribly corrupt and each time they see funds coming in need of disabled people, or any other category, will run to seize them without mercy.

2017-04-18 20:13:49

Colllies as guide dogs. Interesting, honestly never considered that before. Then again retrievers have a reputation for being crazy, least all the ones my family owned have lacked a few brain cells bar the last two. Cats were no different either, I had one that got high on catnip then tried to tunnel, face first, through a closed glass door, and pull a Garfield sliding down it, yowling at the door all the while...then when the door was opened, the cat would walk through the door, turn around, meow in shock at an open door and hide....so apparently crazy animals stick together.

That being said, I came across guide elephants and horses, and also guide ducks and hens. Work that one out....

Draco

2017-04-20 13:03:47

shotgunshell,
Leader Dogs for the Blind Summer Experience Camp Application Deadline

Extended to April 24th

Application Deadline Extended to April 24!

Leader Dogs for the Blind is Accepting Applications for their Free

2017 Summer Experience Camp

Summer Experience Camp is a week of outdoor fun, friendship, and skill

building. The program combines physical activities like kayaking, rock

wall climbing,
and tandem biking with things exclusively Leader Dog--GPS training and

the opportunity to spend time with future Leader Dogs. The combination

will help increase your independent travel skills!

The free program is for boys and girls ages 16 and 17 who are legally

blind. Leader Dog covers all costs including airfare to Michigan--and

everyone receives a free HumanWare Trekker Breeze+ GPS device. Summer

Experience Camp is scheduled for June 23-30, 2017. Applications are

due by April 24, 2017.

For more information and to download an application, go to the
Summer Experience Camp Webpage
http://www.leaderdog.org/clients/progra … ience-camp
or call the Leader Dogs for the Blind client services department at

888-777-5332.

Leader Dog client Shannon Columb attended Camp several years ago;

check out