2017-04-13 22:57:06

Hello.
I'm working hard to learn programming and I'm understanding it better than i ever have before. I want to develop games, but i'm also interested in making things that would be useful to this community. What would you like to have that we  don't already have?
I was thinking about an audio editor and player but i don't want to redue what's already been done. I'm not ready to make anything yet, i just want to know what people want out of their software.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-13 23:08:56

Start small.

Actually, instead of making a thing....make a platform and a base for addons to that thing, just an idea

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-04-14 03:59:24

One idea might be to create some smaller aides for players of other games rather than games in and of themselves, since while writing say a blackjack game would be a great exercise, it's not as if we don't have many.

For example, one thing I'd personally find really useful would be a Manamon elemental reference, whereby I could select an elemental type  in a list box or by pressing a key and be told what elements it was weak or strong or unaffected by, since the elemental type chart you get with the game is a little clunky to read through if you just say want to know whether or not your magic type manamon should use standard attacks on an air enemy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-14 12:24:59

Guitarman

How about developing a game like Pong?
The first video game. You play against the computer that randomly misses the blip.
You would need a blipping sound going left to right and a change in its frequency based on how high or low the blip is on the screen.
Your racket sound would also have to change based on where it is positioned. If your racket matches the frequency of the blip when it reaches your edge of the screen, then you get to knock it back to your opponent.
Most audio games that try to play like Pong turn this function 90 degrees so you move left and right at the bottom of the screen rather than up and down like the original game.

2017-04-14 13:31:01

If you're serious about going for a large project, a truly accessible audio editer would be huge.
A lot of different programs are usable, but - at least in my experience - require functional eyeballs for sizeable portions of the work. Things like redrawing portions of the audio waveform to get the most accurate edits seem to be entirely visual, for example.
An editor is an absolutely massive project though, so if you're just starting out, I'm with the rest of this thread - find something small (Dark's idea is a great one) and work up to bigger projects.
I'd expect that something like an audio editer would take multiple years and a lot of background research to complete.

2017-04-14 13:57:54

Hello I would say, an accessible audio edditor, but i would also like something to make music with.
Good luck.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-04-14 18:28:24

my idea is this. a special media player that plays a selected media file at a gradually increasing speed. that is, the file repeats, getting faster each time. could see this being used for music training and early childhood education.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2017-04-14 23:03:28 (edited by Guitarman 2017-04-14 23:05:48)

Hello.
Well thanks so far, you've given me some interesting stuff to think about.
@Dark, the manamon thing sounds interesting, I might do that. I'll have to contact Aaron Baker and have him give me a list of manamon, or playthrough manamon myself, which is no problem, it just might take me a little while.
@Ammericandad, that is an interesting idea. I'm probably not ready to tackle something like this yet, but I'll research this while I continue to learn programming. I'm wondering though, how would something like this be useful to educating children? I love kids, and have considered making children's games, because I was really inspired by blindfold games. I would be interested to hear more of your thoughts on this.
@Ashley, if your talking about a program that produces music, I couldn't do that without charging money. I would have to use softsynths (software synthesizers) and I would most likely have to pay to use those in a program.
@John, your probably right about this. But you know I was thinking audacity is open-source, and I might be able to get a sighted person to help me make audacity more accessible. That way I don't have to build everything from the ground up. I think once I get more comfortable with programming, I'll see what I can do about audacity.
@Draco, that sounds like a great starting point thanks!
@Phil the pong idea sounds perfect for me. I'll give this a try thank you. Btw, I love your games, especially super dogs bone hunt! I was wondering, what happened to the pcs games website? I used to go on there all the time but it's gone now are you going to bring it back up again? Woops, nevermind forget about that I just went on pcs and it came up lol.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2017-04-15 01:14:06

@Guitarman, with the manamon thing, I didn't literally mean a complete index of all the manamon in the entire game, just a slightly easier way of presenting the information on elements which you find in the elemental weakness chart.

For example the program could work with you pressing a key such as f for fire, e for earth, p for plant or o for poison, to select an element then a second key to get more information about that element.

Eg, you could press o for poinson and then e for earth to be told whether poison is strong against, weak against, average or unaffected by earth.

You could also include a couple of keys to give you complete information, eg, what you find in the manual, so for example hitting e and then hitting z could tell you all the elements earth is strong against, while hitting e and then hitting x could tell you all the elements earth is weak to.

This is something which would be really helpful when playing manamon and save a lot of trauling through that weakness chart, yet it could be done probably with less programming than a game of blackjack.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-17 18:23:19

@guitarman, regarding the media player I suggested, songs that start slow and gradually speed up tend to be quite popular with children. furthermore, having a song gradually speed up on each repetition helps them develop an instant recall of concepts (if the song teaches them in the first place) and can also help improve vocabulary in ESL students.

-id software, 1995

2017-04-17 21:27:46

Hi Ammericandad.
Thanks, I didn't know about these things very interesting. I could make this open-source, so that people can modify it if they want to. I'm surprised no one has done anything like this yet.

Guitarman.

2017-04-18 18:11:24

thanks guitarman! Could totally see super english kid using it.

-id software, 1995