2017-04-17 00:28:30

Does anyone know what happened to this game? I had heard it was going down for a little while while they switched servers or something, however that was nearly 6 months ago and haven't been able to track down any news. I would like to get back into this game as I really liked some of the concepts, but... Doesn't seem like that's going to happen at this rate which is a very sad thing.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2017-04-17 00:44:48

Last I read, can't remember where exactly, but the dev was hosting it on a home server not open to the public and was basically going to recode the entire thing if he ever got motivated enough to do it. Perhaps it was on reddit somewhere.

2017-04-17 02:29:47

Hi.
Well that's too bad. I've never played, but I heard it's a great game. I think I went on there once, although I might be confusing it with aardwolf or one of those.
If the developer is really reworking the whole thing, it might take a while depending on what kind of code their using. I hope they keep developing, it's always a shame to see hard work go to waste.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-17 04:29:00

it is a shame, particularly since shortly before the game went down there were some vi access fixes which made the game possible to play efficiently without use of the ascii map, indeed had the game still been around I'd probably have done a db page for it.
the crafting and wilderness survival was imho some of the best I've seen, especially in how you could go from literally making a cabin in the woods to building a huge colonized city and entire starships. It also had one of the nicest remort systems I've seen in any mud I think, where to remort your character needed to finish a specific goal, eg, erect 10 buildings, find a certain number of plants etc. Combat was also pretty cool and I'm told got even more fun when you got into space and could go and fight space pirates for valuable resources.

My one regret with the game is that I do wish there had been better waysmanaging your colony and it's npc population, since it seemed once you had built most of the basic structures there wasn't a lot else to do but very finicky, extremely large multistage crafting of complex things with many subcomponents and tasks required.

It would be awesome if it did return, indeed I thought development was going pretty well, however  looking at This final post on the devblog

It seems that while the code will be available in case anyone wants to use it for another game, there won't be anymore updates, which is a dam shame.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-17 11:53:13

I'll have to see if I can track down that reddit post some time, as I think it was earlier this year when he was talking about hosting the game on a local machine and thinking about recoding it.

However, I don't think the actual wayfar code is available. What I see is talk about hellcore, which is just the basic systems from Hell Moo, which is what Wayfar was based off of. By the end though, he had stripped out almost everything even remotely recognizable from Hell Moo. I may have missed something, but I didn't see anywhere to download the wayfar code directly.

2017-04-17 12:19:02

HellCore already comes with anything from HellMOO stripped out as far as I know. You get the action system, heartbeat system, combat system, and whatever else they decided to include. It'd definitely take a lot of time to make a game with.

2017-04-17 13:53:47

That was actually my point though. He stripped all of that out so you weren't using the combat system from Hell Moo, you weren't using the movement system from Hell MOO, etc. One of the first things I remember seeing that reminded me strongly of Hell Moo was the weight calculation system. In the beginning you could cary several hundred kilograms of inventory, and then when he recoded it things changed pretty drastically.

2017-04-17 15:27:34

Hmmm, I briefly checked the reddit but I didn't see anything about the game coming back.
Actually I'm a little confused as to why he took it down given the major update earlier in 2016 and the plans to expand with more procedurally generated planets and more colony management.

While the player count was never high, it certainly was than some maintained muds and indeed the more that got added the more people turned up.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-17 19:04:13

Here's what I found:

Wayfar 1444 has been moved to a home server for possible polishing and relaunch. I am very happy with the response to many of our game systems, and highly grateful to the 3.5k+ players that have tried Wayfar during our 4 year existence.

Future: Time and opportunity permitting I would like to relaunch Wayfar MOO with an additional layer of polish. Personally I am looking for inspiration to launch a new game, probably 2d in HTML5. Sadly, text games in general are a dying breed, but I'd be happy to keep Wayfar going as a community or public service, depending on the level of interest. At this point it is no longer viable to operate Wayfar on a VPS, and it has been moved to a much more powerful server in my home. When/if polish and upgrades have been applied, previous players will be notified.

If Wayfar as a text game does not relaunch, please keep an eye on http://wayfar1444.blogspot.com/ for news on my next game, which will be a multiplayer 2D HTML5 project. I'd like to thank everyone that tried and enjoyed the Wayfar game systems.

Full threat at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/5 … of_111016/

2017-04-17 20:15:00

Hmmm, interesting.

In that case I will send the edeveloper an email expressing interest in wayfar1444 and pointing out that text games are still very much enjoyed by many people especially the vi community, since I doubt a 2d html5 real time graphical shooter will be good as far as access goes.

2017-04-17 23:29:47

Yes I do remember the days when I used to play this.  I was playing it for a very long time and it was a awesome game, it still is one of my favourites.  One day I hope to see it come back

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2017-04-17 23:32:31

I remember playing this game and I was pretty sad when it went down, but I suspect that the developer is going to make the game very awesome if we email them and explain how awesome the game is .  And yes, text games are really active, which is awesome

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2017-04-18 15:11:36

I couldn't find his email on the blog page, I don't know if it's on the subreddit, though I would suggest people contact him and request the game back since we don't want him thinking we don't appreciate the game.