2017-03-15 02:15:44

best way  to lern  is brail and  arroing left to write  ishan u have to understand every  / . or  any value  audio recorde wil not   help u for  it

2017-03-23 10:00:36

Spent some time working on this this evening.

Turns out I have a lot more to say on game design and figuring out what the game we're building is, and justifying my decisions, than I ever had considered.

I'd love to get some feedback from trusted members of the community before posting this next bit, too, as it's a bit less technical, a little more of me trying to synthesize the reading I have done on game design, as well as my intuitions.

So far I am trying to hammer home the idea that a lot of the work we have to do as game developers is not writing code, but is trying to build a coherent world with reasonable rules that can be fun for the player, as well as stressing the idea that we have an awesome heritage of sighted games to tap for inspiration.

I've also got started on part 3, which is a little more meaty, and will have you actually getting a project directory structure with its own virtual environment and will conclude with you having a window up on the screen.

I'm pretty new at any sort of long-form writing like this, and so am trying to figure out stuff like where to cut up my posts so they are easiest to digest. Forgive me for the roughness, I intend to evolve this over time until I'm actually happy with it, but that'll require feedback, which will require me actually, you know, getting it posted big_smile

2017-03-23 17:22:26

We are here to help.
A good way to slice up posts is in heading form, where the headings represent subsections of the post. Go from the beginning to the end. As in, where someone can follow along with what's being read, and have the post instructions completed by the end. The first post was great, and I was able to understand it very well.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-03-23 19:29:50

I would be happy to take a look for you, ping me on twitter (@zersiax).

2017-03-25 06:47:24

Hi ctoth
I agree with steev here.
I think you should classified it heading by heading
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2017-04-01 04:33:18

I wonder if any audio tutorials might be able to be made along with the written blog for those that do better listening to audio and following along with it? I'm much better with audio tutorials myself.

2017-04-13 20:47:48

I would make a few suggestions.
First, it can help to keep your goals and your audience firmly in mind. It is also a good practice to go back over what you write with those goals and audience in mind. It is likely that everything you are writing is useful, but you might realize that some of it would work better as a seperate article or tutorial of its own.
Don't fall into the trap of seeking prefection. Most writers have a sneaking suspicion that if they work on their article or tutorial or book just a bit longer, they can make it even better. If you seek to make your writing perfect, you will never post the articles. Instead, try to give yourself a timeframe to complete a piece. Certainly, you can always extend that timeline because life interferes with your writing, but be wary of extending the timeline because you think you might be able to make the content a bit better.
There is a lot of things you can do in your editing to improve an article--and it is always an extremely good idea to let others edit your articles. However, keep in mind that the critical aspect of editing is to remove mistakes amd ensure the content is clear enough to understand. You can get into all sorts of good editorial  advice about grammar, spelling, word counts, etc.  Those things are definitely useful, but the most critical aspect is to ensure what you write meets the goals and is appropriate for the audience--and mistakes and lack of clarity are the 2 biggest dangers in that respect.

2017-04-14 05:30:02

Hi Sean-Terry01.
I don't think that would be good. It would be very hard to learn programming with an audio tutorial. It's not like games, where when somebody does an audio walkthrough where you  can listen and understand what's going on. You would have to listen very carefully to the code, and I don't think anyone would want to read the code out loud, line by line, letter by letter. To give you an example, on an applevis podcast, they were demonstrating how to use x-code. It was interesting, but he didn't have keyboard echo on so you couldn't hear the code, and VoiceOver didn't read it back. Now I'm not trying to be rude, it was a fine podcast, it's just unclear. Bgt had an audio tutorial, but what you were supposed to do was listen to the tutorial, and read along in the manual itself in case something in the audio tutorial was unclear. That's really no way to learn how to code. If you really want to be a programmer do the work, learn syntax and things. There are plenty of resources available to you. Read CToth's blog posts. Also read camlorn's blog blindly coding. He's always doing interesting things, and reading a blog like that will give you some familiarity with programming. You will get a really good understanding of how code works. You should read lines of code letter by letter, so you can understand what they do. This is something you will have to do anyway to catch bugs. Personally I would suggest learning python, it's syntax is easy to understand, and it's a good starting point for a beginner. Of course you can learn any programming language that you enjoy. It just all depends on your personal preference.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-04-14 08:12:47

Can any 1 please give me the link to the BGT tutorial?\
or can some 1 please upload it on some or other survice?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-04-14 08:26:47

Hi Ashley.
I think I still have the bgt tutorial but it's very outdated. The syntax that's in the tutorial, doesn't match up to what's in the manual itself. If you want to use bgt you should use the manual that has all the right stuff in it.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-12-16 18:19:53

hello y this  nice  topic isquit python audiogame tutorial is needed

2017-12-16 23:52:09 (edited by Ethin 2017-12-16 23:53:24)

@prajwal, there can't really be an audiogame tutorial in Python without it being biased in some way. Unlike BGT, there are different libraries in Python for each task. For example, for configuration files, there's pyyaml, pytoml, configobj, and a few others; for game libraries themselves, there is pygame and pyglet as the two major competitors; for audio, there's libaudioverse, among others; for screen reader output there's tolk and accessible_output2; and so on and so forth. There'd either need to be a tutorial that gives the pros and cons of all these libraries; a tutorial that teaches all these libraries, no easy task, I assure you; or no tutorial at all. Of course, you could make a biased tutorial -- that is, a tutorial that teaches one set of particular library -- but then you'd need to make another that teaches the other. In Python things like this are perfectly acceptable though -- Python thrives on diversity. It's possible to make one -- you'll find it's a lot harder to do in Python than it is in BGT, for very good reasons. I'm not going to say why because others will just ignore me like they've ignored all the others who have said similar things to what I've said.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-12-22 23:36:07

@38, it's all about testing what you want to use and finding what fits your toolbox.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-09-25 07:21:05

ok, so I just ran in to this post. I see that he last post on this particular topic was last coverd about a year ago. is there still being more blog posts? I followed the first 1 to the letter. and, I am glad to say, it worked out for me.

2020-04-08 18:52:48

Hello gs. I'm really sorry to do this, but do you have any informatin about the OP and their blog? I on't even think he uploaded part 2, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. '
Cheers.uy

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-09 13:00:19

Doubt it. The dev has a habit of abandoning things.

2020-04-09 18:18:18

What's the point of BGT to py? I don't see it. It doesn't really work. What's it practical for?

2020-04-09 22:29:34

From what I understand, it’s a simple rapper containing the same function names that BGT uses. It was designed to minimize the amount of new things to learn should you switch from BGT to python.

2020-04-09 23:19:08

I think he accidentally posted in the wrong topic.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-24 00:16:01

Munawar wrote:

Doubt it. The dev has a habit of abandoning things.

agreed, its not the first time this happens re: the op. Even the commercial stuff is totally abandoned.
too bad, because otherwise this would have been very good. In the mean time, more broken and unfinished projects or games, more scorn and arrogance from other devs, and python and audiogames will still be an embarrassingly sad mess all around.
tbh, I still feel there is an unmovable brick wall between me as a power user and programming, though I have done very simple projects in the past using other languages, but there is so much to learn and as far as I have read on other people's problems, sometimes some things work and others they don't and then its because of a library that is not being implemented right or something is outdated and there is always this sort of temporary solution and individualism over things that its actually very hard to try and get started somewhere.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2020-04-24 00:25:55

It's not like it's easier for sighted people.  Game programming is the hardest kind of programming no matter how you slice it.

I'm slowly inching my way toward writing a book, in theory. In practice no promises.  It would probably be aimed at the people who want to make Swamp, not so much the new programmer, though.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992