2017-04-07 01:33:22 (edited by $ilverCross 2017-04-07 01:53:48)

TL;DR: The development is still on-going. But you can see for yourself how much progress they usually make in 1 year in their website Progress Reports. To put things in perspective, Lament broke off on their own development fork in 2008; in 2017 Lament is still in Alpha.
If you check their website: http://forums.ghostglass.net/updates.html

The development progress report shows how much has been added the last few years. Each year, there is a "major update" which consist of one or two new small features, some new items, and very rarely new areas.

I know which MUD Lament came from, but I don't want to name it and draw attention away from Lament, and I don't support the other MUD's philosophy of permadeath and strict hoarding of IC knowledge to the oldest and most elite players, and the general elitist atmosphere of that other MUD.

However, this "OtherMUD" ancestor of Lament has all of the systems and features that Lament has, plus LOTS more it doesn't have, such as:
- magic
- proper player housing
- a "full" world map (as in, all the gameworld lore-related places are fully developed, such as the cities, etc.); Lament only has 2 of the 6+ cities mentioned in its lore
- a lot more advanced craftables (e.g. full pieces of plate armor, log cabins, etc.)
- a full underwater content
- terraforming to some extent (mining)
- mounts (riding)
- a race that flies and supposedly some "aerial content"
- a race that breathes underwater

These are all features that Lament has supposedly been aiming for since they broke off in 2008. The one staff member who regularly visits and helps newbies is not one of the main coders, but she claims the development is still very much ongoing, and they have a lot of the above features in the pipeline for future updates.

The only difference between the two is the lore, races, and the fewer features that Lament has.

I've only been playing about a month, so I may not give the best perspective. But as Ironcross pointed out, he's been playing the game on/off since 2015, and he hasn't seen very major changes since when he started, but maybe he can explain better how much has changed.

For what is already there though, the game systems are very immersive and the crafting very comprehensive. So what's there is already enjoyable as a harsh survival, more of a sandbox experience.

2017-04-08 11:30:12

well I've decided to give the game a try though right now I'm still trying to get how commands work, eg, knowing what I can gather or forage in a particular wilderness area and where to get things like thread to weave and sew.

I know about the carpentry and the like but I thought it might be fun to start with some different skills for a change, so I'm a menhit called nephtari and am in liidhaga right now.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-08 18:26:11

Hey $ilverCross. As long as you're not a strongly opinionated person as I am, and don't criticize the slow development etc of Lament, the staff is fine. In fact, that aspect aside, they're great, they just can't seem to stand any opinion about the mud which isn't absolutely positive. Eazine et al are pretty good people all things considered, just remember to not be as vocal about what you dislike about the mud. lol.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2017-04-09 02:33:29

Ah, I can tell you anything, I'm just a little burnt out from the slow pace of dvelopment, I just want stuff to manage like houses, farms, its all coming, coming, coming coming, but it never comes. I know they have a couple part time coders, but progress is slow. What is there though is solid, well built, thought out, highly detailed though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-04-09 14:40:16

My only issue thus far is information seems a bit difficult to come by generally, eg I have the weaving skill but it took someone else to tell me where to find flax to weave.
Likewise if I do weave some cloth I don't know where I can sell it or where I can actually buy food, and since I'm a menhit and need either meat or bread that is a slightly difficult prospect at the moment.

I am rather missing survey command here right now to tell me what is in each area.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-11 22:28:24

@Xoren - thanks for the clarification. I've only interacted with Eazine who is definitely helpful.

@ironcross32 - Yes, I definitely feel the giant abyss of missing features looming in the distance... but the novelty still hasn't worn off for me yet, and I am super curious about what "secrets" already exist out there, like the wastelands, the draugr, etc. (are they as cool as they sound? no spoilers, but I hope I'm not chasing a false claim that they exist)

In the meantime, a hostile auroch cow has occupied my camp and impaled me once, so I now have beef to settle... so I have some ambitions keeping me occupied in the game for the time being.

In retrospect, "playing the game" is really 99% staring at a crafting "progress update". In other words, zero interaction for hours at a time while crafting. Couldn't really explain why that is appealing to anyone.

@Dark - Sorry for late reply. totally feel your frustrations. coming from the OtherMUD with the exact same frustrations, I was lucky enough to find people to guide me through the rough initial learning curve. The guides other people linked in earlier posts are pretty comprehensive, in terms of craftables

I struggle myself to find out basic things like where to find straw (supposedly available in one city but not the other!?), or where to sell what.

For Liidhaga, I think there is a tailor who will buy cloth, off of Nails Street -- roughly SE, SE, NE,NE, NW from the Central Square of the city (opposite of the Jewelry store). And general note that shops with no NPCs do not buy items; shops with NPCs are picky about what they buy -- unfortunately unless someone has a list or shares info with us, the only way I find what I can sell is by trying to sell items in all the different stores and taking notes.

There is a bakery and a kebab shop, off SW and off SE of the streets coming from the Liidhaga Square, respectively; although for a menhit/human, I would recommend hunting for small game or gathering/foraging mushroom/etc. for more reliable and cheaper food. As menhit, I think you can eat raw meat safely. Buying food seems to be a luxury we can't really afford starting out, unfortunately, in my opinion.

Much of the learning seems to be that way, about trial and error, learning from mistakes, or being lucky enough to get guidance from an experienced/knowledgeable player. Also, "reverse engineering" -- find the end product and try "make <product>" to identify the ingredients and subcomponents, even if you don't have them available.

Each city sort of specializes in certain crafts, and the basic ingredients and tools for those crafts are available there respectively.

I think the "survey" command just shows you the wilderness tiles (based on your vision skills) if you are in the wilderness area.

You might be needing the "scavenge" command to identify the gettable free items in each wilderness room. Or "forage" to randomly find appropriate food/herbs/materials in the terrain (also based on season).

Perhaps not coincidentally, it seems the game mechanics and design make it valuable to work with other people, to specialize labor, and to trade/share resources, in a player-based economy. In practice, however, the player knowledge disparity and the resulting economics are as broken and lamentable as the world is described in its lore.