2017-04-05 23:41:35

Hi.

I decided to try libre office on the basis that if it will work for me that is money I can save, and since I hate outlook with a passion, don't use xl or power point it seems rather expensive to pay microsoft just for a word processing program.

So a few questions about Libre office writer.

First, the spellcheck. I was able to use the various buttons without a problem, however two things rather irritated me. firstly, unlike with word if I hit escape the curser wasn't at the position of the word I was spellchecking (which makes editing a pain), and secondly unlike spellchecking in word there didn't seem to be a way to get Nvda to tell me which word was being bought up by the spell check, indeed ironically when I went to the edit area to check on the text, the Nvda function that highlighted spelling errors was no longer highlighting them.

Where as supernova in ms word would announce the word or whether it was a spelling and grammar error, nvda didn't seem to want to do that which was odd, indeed the only way I knew if it was say a gramma error such as an extra space was by tabbing to the suggestions box and seeing it was empty, then hitting nvda b, eventually would announce something about an extra space (though with lots of stuff from the top of the window).

i also noticed the wordcount worked a bit weerdly, in that it kept saying things like

"words 0 1600" rather than just giving the numbers when I hit nvda b.

On the plus side writer has actual, honest to goodness menuus! yes! menus! not ribbons, but menus! real menus, indeed it reminded me in layout rather of the word 2003 I have on my xp machine (that indeed is a reason I like it already as compared to word).

So if people have advice about the other stuff, especially as relates to nvda I'd be interested to know, since if I can get libre office to work for me it'll save a lot of time, money and hassle.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-06 01:07:26 (edited by afrim 2017-04-06 06:59:03)

Hi,
Although I agree that Libra Office is a quite good program, I don't think it is at the level of Microsoft word. And this, for many reasons. Libra Office can't stant large documents like 200 or 300 pages. It will crash (guaranteed and promised). Secondly, Libra Office, at least the last version I tried does not support a language layout, or at least, it is not detected by screen readers. For example, if you are reading an English text, and suddently, after a paragraph it turns to Italian, marked by language in the languages section, not a simple English layout, NVDA, or JAWS, or Window-eyes won't detect Italian or any other language. Also, other features related to word-processing are not as professional as Microsoft Word's ones. I believe there is a custom purchase you can make from Microsoft with the applications you need from the Office package. That may save you some money.

2017-04-06 02:12:37

@Afrim, I'd be interested to know what "advanced word processing features" liber office won't do, just as a comparison and to know if any of them would affect me, --- for since I only write in English switching language layouts wouldn't bother me.

Checking ms site it dseems that no, youcan't just buy microsoft word unfortunately, you have to have all the other office programs too, which is really my issue, I don't see why I should pay for programs I am not likely to use, ---- well not unless you count using microsoft xl spreadsheets to make text maps of areas in gamebooks big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-06 21:29:10

@Dark, Microsoft Word may not have a significantly higher number of advanced word-processing features, but, as I find it, at least to me, word is much more professional in many features it provides. For example, you can create a numbered list like:
1. Dark.
2. Afrim.
3. Dark.
And you will not need to add the numbers for as many items as you write on a new line, cause Word will do it for you. By the way, this is not only related to numbers, but other characteristics such as bullits, underline, bold, italics, and indentations, or even formatting which is preserved throughout the text.
For example, to create a bullit list, on a word document, you press *+tab, and then begin to write the list of words, concepts or terms to be presented in the document.
Another important thing is that Microsoft word is more intelligent in word order, word form, and punctuation, for it will suggest you that, for example, it is "has died" and not "has dead". And when you write a question like, "what's the weather like today?", if you don't put a questionmark after the word today, press application, and you will see that word suggests replacing this word today, by a today accompanied by a question mark. A great characteristic of word is that you can browse the document by heading, or you can search for a word, and Microsoft Word will place the cursor right to the word and result you stopped at. For example, if you search for the word "Relativity", Word will look throughout the document and will present the results from the beginning to the end of the document. The good thing is that screen readers will state the whole phrase in which this word is used, so you know well where you should stop. Browsing the document by heading is one of the most outstanding features of word, particularly if you use Microsoft word for books or large, well-formatted documents. You can jump from chapter to chapter, or anywhere where a heading is detected. This really helped me this year at university. Moreover, Microsoft Word has a feature which I'm not sure Libra Office has, that is the possibility to start the document where you left off. A nice feature when you're reading a book, and you want to return to the point where you closed the document.
And finally, Microsoft Word is much more dedicated to work with screen readers, that is, you can access each service offered by Word accessibly plus, having different layouts of presenting documents, it helps you better navigate on the document by letting you jump on certain features, such as headings, links, tables, and so on.
That's why I find Microsoft Word to be way better than Libra Office.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

2017-04-06 23:16:10

Well I can't deny that headings, comments and suggested grammar are all things I've in writing my research correctly, though I'm a trifle surprised if Libre office doesnt' support those sorts of things as well, certainly I did notice grammar and punctuation checking when i checked the book review I wrote last night with libre office, how extensive those features are I am not sure.

2017-04-07 17:36:07

the spell checker on Libre office sucks accessibility wise, you get no context, and you have to like shift tab to get to the misspelled word. I want MS office too, but I can't afford to buy it, and the whole office 365, i don't think I would use it enough to justify a subscription.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-04-07 18:18:14

If I was going to get office it would be the stand alone one since I don't see the point in buying a subscription to a file upload service I won't use.

Unfortunately though you do seem to be correct about libre office spellcheck, since it isn't great at highlighting rules or missing words. I did wonder if this was me missing a nvda function but possibly not which is why I asked about Libre office with nvda.

2017-04-07 19:33:14

I don't know, I think i heard somewhere that you can select two-three Office applications and buy them. Not sure if this is only for students.

2017-04-07 23:31:35

When I checked office student was just the standard office package with a few exstras.
It's a shame microsoft don't just sell ms word on it's own since really that is the only bit of office I need.

2017-04-11 04:42:35

what version of word do you use? 2010? 2013? 2016?

2017-04-11 04:46:04

or you could use google docx it seems pretty accessible. or you could pay $7 or $8 for office365 after you install the free client that gives you accessible ms word and so on. or you could use the website *** to get maybe office2010 or office2013 if you need it right now and can't afford it absolutely.

2017-04-11 15:33:45

The problem with office 365 is that I don't really see why I should pay Microsoft 40 usd a year for aa storage service I will not use.

As however it turns out likely my lady will also need a copy of office, and I'll need a copy on the windows 10 laptop I will be getting soon, the deal with five licenses might actually work out cheaper in the long run even if I don't intend to use outlook etc.

2017-04-11 15:52:22

Hello, i know where you could maby get office 2016 for free, but i am not allowed to submit cracks on this forum.
So if any one want's it, please feel free to email me on my email address.
Hope that it will help you.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.